Theraposa Blondi

Georgia

Arachnopeon
Main issue with your Theraphosa setup is the excessive height, terrestrials can be severely injured or killed in the event of a fall. You have the same problem with your B.albopilosum setup, nice effort though...I can see you really care, but have been misinformed. The vertical height in your enclosure shouldn't exceed 1.5 times your tarantulas diagonal leg span. You also want to avoid screen lids as they can get stuck in them pretty easily, sometimes resulting in loss of limbs.

Theraphosa are actually quite simple to keep, most people just seem to over complicate things. Tubs are the simplest solution thats best suited for these spiders IMO, the hard top doesn't allow moisture to escape quickly and the cross vent gives you great airflow. These are the conditions Theraphosa thrive in. Also, make sure it has good sub depth, and partially bury its hide...should look something like this.

I really appreciate all the help! I would be devistated of something happend to any of them due to neglegence on my part that could have been easily prevented.

I am so glad I found this website and thread! Its a lifesaver for not only my ts but my heart lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thank you so much every little bit of help counts! :) What type of enclosure would be good for my two terresterial ts so I will know for next time i get one and not waste money of the damn exoterra crap? I still want to be able to look at them in their enclosure, I love them so much!
You're welcome :) Good on you for wanting to do the best for your Ts!

I am not sure where you are located, but there are some awesome clear plastic shoe boxes (the Container Store carries them, for example) that are clear plastic, short in height, but long in length... perfect for terrestrials! Kritter Keeper also makes what they call "breeder boxes," I do believe... they are shorter than the normal ones, too.

ExoTerras are great for *some* animals... but they are, in my opinion, highly overrated and overpriced. I have a few I received in trades/came with locally purchased animals, and they are definitely not my favourite type of enclosure.

Georgia

Arachnopeon
You're welcome :) Good on you for wanting to do the best for your Ts!

I am not sure where you are located, but there are some awesome clear plastic shoe boxes (the Container Store carries them, for example) that are clear plastic, short in height, but long in length... perfect for terrestrials! Kritter Keeper also makes what they call "breeder boxes," I do believe... they are shorter than the normal ones, too.

ExoTerras are great for *some* animals... but they are, in my opinion, highly overrated and overpriced. I have a few I received in trades/came with locally purchased animals, and they are definitely not my favourite type of enclosure.
I live in close to Destin FL. Sorey for all of the questions but about how high should the tub be and how long? So i know what to look for and how much substrate to put in.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
That avic enclosure is lacking cross ventilation. A stuffy enclosure is a sure way to kill any avic species, and even though yours has ventilation on the top that often isn't enough for these guys. I'll let someone else post pictures of their avic setups but in short, if in doubt air it out. Avics should also be kept bone dry, all they really need is a water dish. You can give it a half spritz of water on the side of the enclosure every few days to offer an opportunity to drink, but not to raise the moisture levels in the enclosure.

Albo enclosure is way way too tall. A shoebox style enclosure is what you really want. You can find them at Walmart, maybe even the dollar store, I've gotten a few decent enclosures from there. Albos appreciate slightly moist substrate, a hide and a nice water dish.

Georgia

Arachnopeon
That avic enclosure is lacking cross ventilation. A stuffy enclosure is a sure way to kill any avic species, and even though yours has ventilation on the top that often isn't enough for these guys. I'll let someone else post pictures of their avic setups but in short, if in doubt air it out. Avics should also be kept bone dry, all they really need is a water dish. You can give it a half spritz of water on the side of the enclosure every few days to offer an opportunity to drink, but not to raise the moisture levels in the enclosure.

Albo enclosure is way way too tall. A shoebox style enclosure is what you really want. You can find them at Walmart, maybe even the dollar store, I've gotten a few decent enclosures from there. Albos appreciate slightly moist substrate, a hide and a nice water dish.
Thank you. What dimensions of enclosures do i need for all 3? Im going now to get them to make sure they do not get hurt and they are happy little ts.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I live in close to Destin FL. Sorey for all of the questions but about how high should the tub be and how long? So i know what to look for and how much substrate to put in.
No need to apologize for asking questions! :)

How big is your B. albo's leg span?

The height between the top of the sub and the lid of the enclosure should be no more than 1.5x the leg span of your T... so if your spider is 4", the top of the enclosure shouldn't be higher than 6" from the sub or so as you don't want them to have room to fall if they climb. So you can get a deeper enclosure... you just have to fill it with sub until you reach generally that level of space. As far as how long/wide the enclosure should be... I like to give my terrestrial Ts about 2x their leg span in width and 3-5x times their leg span in length. This is, of course, a very generalized measurement and isn't set in stone.

You can also find 10g short tanks that work nicely for terrestrials that don't need a lot of sub to burrow.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Thank you. What dimensions of enclosures do i need for all 3? Im going now to get them to make sure they do not get hurt and they are happy little ts.
Avic enclosure should be taller than it is wide, an arboreal style. There should be a flat piece of cork bark leaned against the side of the enclosure for it to stretch out on and some fake leaves and whatnot towards the top of the enclosure for it to web and hide in.

Albo enclosure should be wider than it is tall, there should be no more than 1.5X the spiders legspan from the substrate to the top of the enclosure.

You can also find 10g short tanks that work nicely for terrestrials that don't need a lot of sub to burrow.
10 gallons is A LOT larger than I'd go for an albo. I think the only T that size tank would really be justified for is an adult female theraphosa.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
10 gallons is A LOT larger than I'd go for an albo. I think the only T that size tank would really be justified for is an adult female theraphosa.
My enclosures might be a little overkill, as I said. The only T we have in a 10g short right now is an AF P. cancerides and I feel it is too small for her. We have an AF B. auratum in a regular 10g filled with sub to the appropriate height and I think the size suits her really nicely.

Georgia

Arachnopeon
My enclosures might be a little overkill, as I said. The only T we have in a 10g short right now is an AF P. cancerides and I feel it is too small for her. We have an AF B. auratum in a regular 10g filled with sub to the appropriate height and I think the size suits her really nicely.
Ok what about these ones for the avic, and the other for the theraposa? And then find a happy medium for the algo. 1536018650482196678618708815495.jpg 15360186782175927407305086542867.jpg 15360187103763634242140793202131.jpg

Attachments

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Those are fine if you don't mind that they are opaque. We bought some Avics recently that came in those tubs, actually. I think your current Avic enclosure is just fine, though!

Georgia

Arachnopeon
Those are fine if you don't mind that they are opaque. We bought some Avics recently that came in those tubs, actually. I think your current Avic enclosure is just fine, though!
I would love to find some clear ones, i love looking at my ts. They're in my living room haha Where did you say I could hopefully find some clear ones?

cold blood

Staff member
1. Theraposa. That exo terra actually isn't one of the tall ones, and if you add sub and slope it to the back so its deeper, that will actually work.

2. B. albopilosum....this is not acceptable at all...very dangerous to have that height. This one needs to be moved to a shorter enclosure asap.

3. Avic This is a decent enclosure, and the set up is close, but you really need to add more plants around the top of the wood. The more clutter the better. This is both for cover and for anchor points to aid in webbing.....especially important around the molting time.

4. scorp....they cannot climb, excess height isn't a danger like it is with a t.

The visibility isn't all that bad with sterilite...I love those enclosures and I believe they are the best option for the t within because they can be easily ventilated in any means required....here's an avic enclosure in a tub...
Here are terrestrial examples...

You can even use the deeper tubs for terrestrials by filling them with substrate...a great option for those that like to really burrow a lot.

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would love to find some clear ones, i love looking at my ts. They're in my living room haha Where did you say I could hopefully find some clear ones?
The Container Store has LOTS of clear plastic options. You can also look into Kritter Keepers (the short, breeder box styles) and short glass tanks.

Georgia

Arachnopeon
1. Theraposa. That exo terra actually isn't one of the tall ones, and if you add sub and slope it to the back so its deeper, that will actually work.

2. B. albopilosum....this is not acceptable at all...very dangerous to have that height. This one needs to be moved to a shorter enclosure asap.

3. Avic This is a decent enclosure, and the set up is close, but you really need to add more plants around the top of the wood. The more clutter the better. This is both for cover and for anchor points to aid in webbing.....especially important around the molting time.

4. scorp....they cannot climb, excess height isn't a danger like it is with a t.

The visibility isn't all that bad with sterilite...I love those enclosures and I believe they are the best option for the t within because they can be easily ventilated in any means required....here's an avic enclosure in a tub...
Here are terrestrial examples...

You can even use the deeper tubs for terrestrials by filling them with substrate...a great option for those that like to really burrow a lot.
Thank you so much! Beautiful spiders!

The Container Store has LOTS of clear plastic options. You can also look into Kritter Keepers (the short, breeder box styles) and short glass tanks.
As I am still not quite sure on how much certain ts should cost I paid 100 for this theraposa and this is the container it came in.

Attachments

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
As I am still not quite sure on how much certain ts should cost I paid 100 for this theraposa and this is the container it came in.
That explains why you got a T. stirmi and not a T. blondi. "Goliath Bird Eater " is a common name for both species, thus the usefulness of scientific names for identification. Where did you get it, if you don't mind me asking? Looks like something you'd get at a pet store.

$100 actually isn't a bad deal for a T stirmi, especially if yours is as big as it looks. If it's female, you got it for a steal imo.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
scorp....they cannot climb
They can (I have a pic of my H. laoticus hanging upside down on the lid of its KK like it's a Xenomorph, I'll see if I can dig it out) but they're basically heavily armoured tanks and more resistant to damage.

Edit: found it.

15078574_1492590864087681_1480217890329574400_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Avic enclosure should be taller than it is wide, an arboreal style. There should be a flat piece of cork bark leaned against the side of the enclosure for it to stretch out on and some fake leaves and whatnot towards the top of the enclosure for it to web and hide in.

Albo enclosure should be wider than it is tall, there should be no more than 1.5X the spiders legspan from the substrate to the top of the enclosure.

I found some at target once but some of there containers run expensive. I bought one for files it was at least $8-12.

Georgia

Arachnopeon
That explains why you got a T. stirmi and not a T. blondi. "Goliath Bird Eater " is a common name for both species, thus the usefulness of scientific names for identification. Where did you get it, if you don't mind me asking? Looks like something you'd get at a pet store.

$100 actually isn't a bad deal for a T stirmi, especially if yours is as big as it looks. If it's female, you got it for a steal imo.
I did get it at a pet store. I went in to get some things and someone told me they werw getting a goliath birdeater in! I have always wanted one so I said I'll take it! Because I heard they are hard to find. Realizing now they dont know what the hell they are selling. But its cool I love my T. Stirmi!