Theraposa Blondi

Georgia

Arachnopeon
I recently purchased a T. Blondie but after i got him/her home and out, I'm suspecting it might be a T. Stirmi. Could someone please help?! Also how do I keep him/her from climbing and hanging on top of the cage constantly. 0830181304a.jpg 0830181415a_HDR.jpg 0830181304a.jpg 0830181415a_HDR.jpg

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Send pictures of the full enclosure. That looks like an exo-terra that is not meant for a terrestrial T like a Theraposa. Along with the fact that I don’t see a hide or much substrate for it to burrow in at all. Is there stuff in the water dish or am I just seeing through it?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
That’s a stirmi as it is lacking the setae on the patella (characteristic of blondi)

cold blood

Staff member
Stirmi.

You stop it from climbing by not providing the vertical space to climb....as said, an exo terra isnt appropriate for a terrestrial.....not only are they too tall, but the front doors prevent the addition of proper sub depth. No terrestrial should EVER have a climbing background like that.....or even the space for it.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Looks blondi to me, no tan/pink socks
That's only with slings.

As cold blood said, you can eliminate the risks of climbing by not providing it the space to climb. OP, would you mind including a pic of the entire enclosure? Tbh it looks very inappropriate for any T, let alone something that requires a little more attention to its needs like Theraphosa. Especially if you paid a premium price for a falsely labeled stirmi (I'd be contacting the seller immediately if I were you), it would be a shame for you to lose it over such easily fixable things.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
Looks like you were had by whoever you purchased it from. Hopefully you didn't pay the blondi price, considering you have a stirmi. If this is your first tarantula, you are in for a world of fun, or for you, lots of itching. As mentioned, Exo terra are useless for terrestrials and if a tarantula, that heavily bodied climbs and falls, could end up seriously injured or dead.

Georgia

Arachnopeon
15360117815636830113010898797432.jpg
Send pictures of the full enclosure. That looks like an exo-terra that is not meant for a terrestrial T like a Theraposa. Along with the fact that I don’t see a hide or much substrate for it to burrow in at all. Is there stuff in the water dish or am I just seeing through it?
He she does have a hide and I took out the background in there which now prevents it from getting on the top of the cage. It is an exoterra, only because I had many people telling me thats what he/she needed and when i researched it some people had theirs in an exoterra. Thanks for the help guys, apparently I
have been talking to the wrong people. What kind of enclosure would you guys reccommend? If i need,to get another encloseure for it I would be more than happy to. I just want him/her to be as happy as can be.

And thats not the water dish thats what it came in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Georgia

Arachnopeon
This thread covers the proper housing of this genus. Give it a read when you have some time.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/theraphosa-care-and-info.303033/
Ok since ive gotten horrible advice on my Theraposa STIRMI, are my enclosures for my Brachypelma albopilosum, my Avicularia avicularia, and my Heterometrus spinifer correct? And my Brachypelma does not climb on the backboard. The lights are not on all the time just when I have to feed them or take pictures. And please don't be rude, im sorta new to this, and have wanted scorpions and tarantulas my whole life and just trusted the wrong people with advice. Just looking for help to make all my babies as happy as possible!

Attachments

Georgia

Arachnopeon
Ok since ive gotten horrible advice on my Theraposa STIRMI, are my enclosures for my Brachypelma albopilosum, my Avicularia avicularia, and my Heterometrus spinifer correct? And my Brachypelma does not climb on the backboard. The lights are not on all the time just when I have to feed them or take pictures. And please don't be rude, im sorta new to this, and have wanted scorpions and tarantulas my whole life and just trusted the wrong people with advice. Just looking for help to make all my babies as happy as possible!
Pics of curly hair t first, then pink toe, then asian forest scorpion.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The Theraposa needs slightly damp, deeper sub for burrowing. You also don't want the top of the enclosure to be more than half again the leg span of the spider, to prevent falls.

The B. albo shouldn't be in a vertical ExoTerra. The Avic enclosure looks great! I don't keep scorps or know their requirements, so I cannot comment on that one.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
He she does have a hide and I took out the shitty background in there which now prevents it from getting on the top of the cage. That was what he/she came in not it's water bowl. It is an exoterra, only because I had many people telling me thats what he/she needed and when i researched it some people had theirs in an exoterra. Thanks for the help guys, apparently I
have been talking to the wrong people. What kind of enclosure would you guysreccommend? If i need,to get another encloseure for it I would be more than happy to. I just want him/her to be as happy as can be.
Main issue with your Theraphosa setup is the excessive height, terrestrials can be severely injured or killed in the event of a fall. You have the same problem with your B.albopilosum setup, nice effort though...I can see you really care, but have been misinformed. The vertical height in your enclosure shouldn't exceed 1.5 times your tarantulas diagonal leg span. You also want to avoid screen lids as they can get stuck in them pretty easily, sometimes resulting in loss of limbs.

Theraphosa are actually quite simple to keep, most people just seem to over complicate things. Tubs are the simplest solution thats best suited for these spiders IMO, the hard top doesn't allow moisture to escape quickly and the cross vent gives you great airflow. These are the conditions Theraphosa thrive in. Also, make sure it has good sub depth, and partially bury its hide...should look something like this.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
No one is attempting to be rude, we're all here because we care about the welfare of your Ts :)

That enclosure is far too tall for your B. albo. Terrestrial Ts can and will climb when you're not looking. You seem to be under the misconception that tarantulas cannot climb glass, which is simply not true. Even without the foam background, your Ts will try to climb, and a fall from the top can and will kill your T as it has for others.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/ruptured-abdomen-help.308855/

Good rule of thumb for terrestrials is that the distance from the substrate to the top of the enclosure is 1.5x the legspan of the T.

Georgia

Arachnopeon
The Theraposa needs slightly damp, deeper sub for burrowing. You also don't want the top of the enclosure to be more than half again the leg span of the spider, to prevent falls.

The B. albo shouldn't be in a vertical ExoTerra. The Avic enclosure looks great! I don't keep scorps or know their requirements, so I cannot comment on that one.
Thank you so much every little bit of help counts! :) What type of enclosure would be good for my two terresterial ts so I will know for next time i get one and not waste money of the damn exoterra crap? I still want to be able to look at them in their enclosure, I love them so much!