Theraphosinae sp. Panama Breeding

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My male matured yesterday and I can't find any breeding information at all. Any information that people can give on the breeding of this specific species is welcomed.

DSC04451-2-3.jpg

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
My male matured yesterday and I can't find any breeding information at all. Any information that people can give on the breeding of this specific species is welcomed.

View attachment 305228
I assume that is the female that is ready to breed pictured?

Although I have had several and raised several my timing has never been good with the specie in question (Male always matured out faster and female was not ready). I know I had heard that there had been some success stateside, but could not tell you specifically who.

Best of luck and I hope you get several of those beauty's.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I assume that is the female that is ready to breed pictured?
Although I have had several and raised several my timing has never been good with the specie in question (Male always matured out faster and female was not ready). I know I had heard that there had been some success stateside, but could not tell you specifically who.
Best of luck and I hope you get several of those beauty's.
Yes, that is the female. There have been a couple of species with the same name, so I wanted to include the photo of the species that I am referring to.
Here is a photo of her spermathecae from her last moult. I had asked a couple of people to confirm that she is mature and they said she was. What do you think?
My female moulted in November, so I am hoping that the timing is good. I'm debating whether I should wait to see if she moults again. I wish I knew how long it took for an egg sac to be produced, because that would influence my decision to go ahead or wait. I only have the two, so I am only getting one chance at this. They are very expensive in Canada, so there aren't that many mature males floating around.
Theraphosinae sp. Panama Female 2.5.jpg

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, that is the female. There have been a couple of species with the same name, so I wanted to include the photo of the species that I am referring to.
Here is a photo of her spermathecae from her last moult. I had asked a couple of people to confirm that she is mature and they said she was. What do you think?
My female moulted in November, so I am hoping that the timing is good. I'm debating whether I should wait to see if she moults again. I wish I knew how long it took for an egg sac to be produced, because that would influence my decision to go ahead or wait. I only have the two, so I am only getting one chance at this. They are very expensive in Canada, so there aren't that many mature males floating around.
View attachment 305316
Yes, she is ready to breed....I can only assume she is similar to other dwarfs and that is a month - three after breeding a sac, 35 days until 1st i, and 65 to 2nd or 3rd i. Just be around to see if she is aggressive towards him, have someone else there for help as well, and give him a go.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
He just moulted a couple of days ago, so I still have another month before he recovers and creates a sperm web. I will continue feeding her and see if she starts refusing food. These tykes don't fast for long before they moult. Whether this species is aggressive during pairing is definitely a concern for me.
Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
No problem and the male could be ready to go in a few weeks. Here is my breeding reports from a while ago with Hap. Large & Small. I would assume timelines are similar...http://arachnoboards.com/threads/hapalopus-sp-colombia-large.208057/ http://arachnoboards.com/threads/hapalopus-sp-colombia-small.225685/
Hope this helps,
Joe
Thank you. I had read somewhere that this species might end up being put into Hapalopus, so I was looking at those reports. Most people I know, who have bred Hapalopus, have lost the male, so I assumed it might be similar with this species. They are just so small, making it difficult to intervene on his behalf. I really want him to make it, in the event that she moults.