Theraphosinae sp. “Peru” - Female

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
F6769205-6BCC-4685-B661-57A2A82372F2.jpeg FD559C4A-FCBE-4650-970C-7EA53CA39883.jpeg The name should be labeled as is for now until further notice. This species should not be labeled as Acanthoscurria sp. “Peru”, Acanthoscurria Theraphosoides etc. After consulting with @c.h.esteban it seems that know one knows exactly what the genus name is, however the right labeling for this species should be Theraphosinae sp. “Peru”.

It’s frustrating not knowing some of this wild caught species that get exported without a proper name. Hobbyists and sellers decide for themselves to randomly label the species without proper facts/truth.

Last edited:

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
In a very non-scientific sense, it strikes me as visually similar to members of the genus Ami. It's a very neat looking spider.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
The name should be labeled as is for now until further notice. This species should not be labeled as Acanthoscurria sp. “Peru”, Acanthoscurria Theraphosoides etc. After consulting with @c.h.esteban it seems that know one knows exactly what the genus name is, however the right labeling for this species should be Theraphosinae sp. “Peru”.

It’s frustrating not knowing some of this wild caught species that get exported without a proper name. Hobbyists and sellers decide for themselves to randomly label the species without proper facts/truth.
What distinguishes this tarantula from all other theraphosine genera?

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i "like" such short questions which needs a much longer answer.

first of all, i do not examine any specimen from these peru imports.
my answer based on a examination of specimens from south colombia, which are highly similar in the shape of spermathacea, size and coloration with the spider on jose´s picture.
so it needs further invesigations for the peru specimens.

The females of these Theraphosinae can distinguished from all genera of the Grammostolini* and Hapalopini* by the presence of urticating hairs typ I.

Within the Theraphosini* it can distinguished by Spermathecae with two separated seminal receptacles from genera with single or fused receptacula like Lasiodora, Nhandu, Pamphobeteus, Vitalius etc. and by the by the absence of stridulatory bristles from genera like Acanthoscurria, Cyrthopolis, Lasiodra etc.

So only a few genera remain, but some of them are poorly defined.
This means that more work is needed, especially with the males.

(*division of Theraphosinae into tribes. see Turner et al 2017)

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Steffen explained it better than what I could have.

my answer based on a examination of specimens from south colombia, which are highly similar in the shape of spermathacea, size and coloration with the spider on jose´s picture.

The females of these Theraphosinae can distinguished from all genera of the Grammostolini* and Hapalopini* by the presence of urticating hairs typ I.

Within the Theraphosini* it can distinguished by Spermathecae with two separated seminal receptacles from genera with single or fused receptacula like Lasiodora, Nhandu, Pamphobeteus, Vitalius etc. and by the by the absence of stridulatory bristles from genera like Acanthoscurria, Cyrthopolis, Lasiodra etc.

Steffen, I appreciate you taking the time to examine my photos etc.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member

Dorsal View
These are photos of her spermathecae.
Thanks for this information. That sums things up quite nicely.

Edit:
On a second look of the pictures, it appears there is the presence of scopulae on the prolateral trochanter and femur of the palp, and retrolateral trochanter of the palp giving the impression there could be plumose setae, thus a stridulating organ on these. It maybe my eyes, but I can barely see the same on the prolateral trochanter and femur of leg 1. Is that noticeable on the live spider?

Last edited:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
if you talking about scopulae / plumose hairs, do you mean somthing like that?
Yes, exactly. When I see a region of the pro or retro lateral trochanter and/ or femur of the palp and/ or leg 1 with a thick group of white hairs, it usually indicates the type of hairs seen in your pictures. I think I see that in the pictures of this Theraphosinae "Peru" so I am wondering if this species and the southern Colombian one have this or if what I am seeing is an artifact of the photography or lighting.

Theraphosa species are the best examples of what I am talking about since they are so large. One can easily see with the unaided eye where the plumose setae is on the legs and palps by white patches of hairs. The stridulating organ, or scopulae, is far more extensive than what is described in papers.

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
white hairs are sometimes plumose and sometimes they are simply white hairs.
the pictures above are just examples, taken at a theraphosinae from ecuador.
the first one from coxa. the second from femur, which appers dark brown till black.

and at my specimens there are no plumose hairs, only pale hairs.
Trochanter 1 pl

Palp Trochanter pl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for this information. That sums things up quite nicely.

Edit:
On a second look of the pictures, it appears there is the presence of scopulae on the prolateral trochanter and femur of the palp, and retrolateral trochanter of the palp giving the impression there could be plumose setae, thus a stridulating organ on these. It maybe my eyes, but I can barely see the same on the prolateral trochanter and femur of leg 1. Is that noticeable on the live spider?
Hi! I can send you her recent molt like I did with the Acanthoscurria simoensi molt. Unfortunately though since she is wild caught her molt isn’t that pretty to look at. I was thinking maybe the next molt since she had already molted once. This next molt I think it would be better.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Hi! I can send you her recent molt like I did with the Acanthoscurria simoensi molt. Unfortunately though since she is wild caught her molt isn’t that pretty to look at. I was thinking maybe the next molt since she had already molted once. This next molt I think it would be better.
Sure, that would be awesome to have the molt to examine! It doesn't have to be pretty, just mostly intact with all legs, palps, spermatheca, and so on. Let me know in a PM if you still have my shipping info.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sure, that would be awesome to have the molt to examine! It doesn't have to be pretty, just mostly intact with all legs, palps, spermatheca, and so on. Let me know in a PM if you still have my shipping info.
Unfortunately the section of the spermathecae is destroyed so we will have to wait till the next molt. I’m sure she’ll milt again my late summer early fall.