Genus Theraphosa

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
in every molt pic i see of fangs i see that red liquid near the fangs...makes me think T's have red blood :? but those are some nice pics. I have an 8"+ that is about to molt. i hope it goes well....

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
no wonder i feel poking thingies whenever my avic walks on me..it gets annoing sometimes..like little porcupine spines..amazing pics man..

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great pix! My blondi just molted a few weeks ago and is now eating like a pig again...they sure are awesome!

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the info, are you powerfeeding by chance?

1 1/2" to 5-6" in 6 months :) how many molts has it gone through? at a guess 5?

also since mines still lightly coloured (feeding in 2-3 days) how much did it grow by when it molted from 1.5" to ?? since this is the molt mines just done:)

how long are her fangs? :}

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ghost_tomb said:
thanks for the info, are you powerfeeding by chance?

1 1/2" to 5-6" in 6 months :) how many molts has it gone through? at a guess 5?

also since mines still lightly coloured (feeding in 2-3 days) how much did it grow by when it molted from 1.5" to ?? since this is the molt mines just done:)

how long are her fangs? :}
That's a lot of questions ;)
I'm feeding it more than my other spiders, about 3 times a week. But still I would not call that powerfeeding. It has molted 4 times now. And 6" might be pushing it, let's keep it at 5 ;) It's really hard to estimate the length, and while 5" might seem much, it's still mostly legs, it still has the classic sling form, no heavy built legs just yet. I don't really know how much the growth from 1,5" was, I do still have the molt, but it is riddled with urticating hairs as usual (if you check the first pic you can actually see some hairs on the end of the legs in the right bottom). I would guess it was just under an inch in growth.
Hope I answered all your questions, and here's a pic of the spider as it is today, got quite a bit lighter (makes sense, cause just molted they are still a bit wet), but still a beautiful beast!
greetz,
Joozt

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the response:)

my T.blondi is my first sling, so i'm very excited since this will be my first pet bug that i'll raise (if you can use that term with a T) from a baby to a giant:)

you missed the fang question:p

I've read somewhere that t.blondis are slings until their 6"

Ever gotten her to eat a wax worm?

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Schlyne said:
Those are truly amazing photos :worship: :clap:

Of course now I wonder what kind of camera you were using, but I'll bet it's out of my price range.
Well, actually it's not really a fancy cam, it's a Fujifilm Finepix A210, 3,2 megapixels. Not really expensive, and has a good macro. And when photographing such an event I always take a lot of pics, to ensure there are always a few good ones.
greetz,
Joost

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well he made it, I'm pretty sure its a male. took him about 3 hours from flip to flip.

Male or female?

Size of the exo...approx 8" before molting.
(taking this exo, i knew he was back to his old hairkicking self. he almost kicked off all his hairs when i took this away)

there is actually a down side to this molt. I was expecting him to mature, i dont think he did. I did not get a great look but i saw no "boxing gloves" i may get a better look tomorrow or day after.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congrats! Excellent pics! Your enclosure looks really neat. Do you have any pics showing the entire thing?

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
man he looks massive really cool pics i love when there pulling the legs out its so cool looking...it was 8" before the molt any guess on how big he is now??

JJJoshua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how comes i always see pictures of these "perfect" molts? The abdomen looks sooooo in tact! WHY!!! My T's never have their abdomens that intact. Is my humidity wrong? Or do you do something special to the molt before you take a picture?

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This is a new thread...anyone have any idea why I can't see the pics that should be here?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I couldn't find a thread for this, and being one of my favorite genuses, I had to start it.

First, my gravid female. Isn't she sexy? ;)

Next, my 3" male (getting ready for next year's breeding).

-Bryan

Attachments

Last edited:

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you mean Theraphosa As in Theraphosa blondi if so you spelled the title wrong.

Nice blondi...mine just molted...and is as pissed off as ever today.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
JJJJoshaua All i do is get the molt shortly after the spider flips over. was a bit dicey with this guy (he hissed and threat posed) and then spread the skin out with an eyeglass screwdriver.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
Do you mean Theraphosa As in Theraphosa blondi if so you spelled the title wrong.
If you look at my subject, I corrected my spelling. My girlfriend caught it over my shoulder ;)
Oh, and I'd watch the rocking throwing in that glass house. You need to check your punctuation ;) hehe

Maybe one of the mods can change the spelling in the thread? Please? :D

-Bryan

Last edited:

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its all in timing when getting a moult out. If you can get it out as soon as they are done you'll be able to have a moult that is intact and capable of being stretched out for viewing.

Laura