Theraphosa VS Lasiodora (Looking for people who have, or have had, both)

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
From my research thus far-mostly here, it seems like the following:

Theraphosa
-More defensive
-Can get a little bit bigger on average
-Brown colored
-Urticating bristles are particularly bad (which goes double for the Theraphosa that isn't blondi. Can't remember off hand, but there's only the two.)
-More prone to wandering, and may need a bigger tank vs Lasiodora for similarly sized individuals.

Lasiodora
-Less defensive
-Hardier, and generally less maintenance in captivity
-Black colored
-Stockier(?)

I'm not restricting this to just T.blondi and L.parabyhana. I'm really looking for the difference between these two T's. Yes, this is a "what should I get?" thread (And yes, I know the correct answer is "Both"), but I also noticed while searching that I couldn't find any thread specifically comparing the two genera. So now there is one. :D

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Go with the Lasiodora, they get the same size as T.blondi, they are easier to keep, and they are much cheaper. Personally, I think their temperment and activity level is about the same.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I wouldn't say lasiodoras are stockier. I've seen some pretty massive blondis. The hairs are much much worse on the blondi. The lasiodoras are very hardy but won't get as large as a blondi. I got rid of my blondis because I always itched. The lasiodoras don't bother me. Lasiodoras are also much more attractive than blondi in my opinion.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lasiodora Parahybana can get enormous...But a T.Blondi is a T.Blondi ;) .

Everything has been said already,they are 2 completely different T's.

maitre

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How did I know Fran would vouch for the larger T ;)

I like how the adult LP looks compared to the T. Blondi. It's a black T with fuzzy pink hairs! Very cute. I also think they look stockier because of their fuzziness. T. Blondi's look 'skinnier' because their hairs are nowhere as fuzzy. Even though T. Blondi's get maybe an inch or two larger, you likely won't even notice a difference between the two species unless they are right next to each other with their legs COMPLETELY spread out.

LP's are also cheaper and easier to keep.

LP for the win!

hypnolobster

Arachnopeon
It's going to all be opinion (which is what you're looking for, I guess). I have both, and I love the hell out of my LP. Far prettier and easier to keep.

LP's are cheaper, far easier to keep happy and they don't look untidy and odd like blondi's. They look completely "classic tarantula," just really really large. Blondi's have this odd walk and they sit goofy.

They've both amazing, I just have my predjuices (see: avatar :))

Also, they both have completely awful hairs. I get a worse reaction to LP hairs than blondi's myself. It changes a lot between people.

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I personally own and love both of these. I have a female blondi that recently molted out to over 9", and my biggest L.para is between 7.5 and 8" since her last molt. T.blondi's are stockier, if I'm not mistaken they are the heaviest known tarantula on record. Para's can grow over 10" in legspan but do have the mass of a blondi.
My parahybana's do take the prize as far as coloration however as my blondi is a just big hulk of dark rust/chocolate color. My para's are also more active than my blondi and seem to have a little more personality.
All in all, if I had to choose between keeping my big blondi or my biggest L.para, i'd keep the blondi-thats only if I had to give up one. If I was a potential buyer, i'd probably go with the L.parahybana as they are easy to find and much easier on the wallet!
Good luck with your decision.:cool:

Steveyruss

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The T.Blondi and L.Para temperaments vary a lot from individual to individual especially the L.Paras. I've seen some that could be handled from inside the tank calmly while others were really nasty and skittish with any sort of human contact. Don't let that affect your decision. Generally speaking though expect to get haired. T. Blondi hairs are amongst the worst around.

...And I agree with the guy above, if I were a buyer I'd go with a salmon pink, they are very cheap (egg sacks are huge!) and if you get it as a sling it will grow quicker than a blondi. Also salmon pinks are virtually bullet proof as far as spiders go very, newbie proof, I've heard of some idiot putting one in a desert setup and it doing okay.

If you have a lot of spare cash to throw around then a Blondi might be worth considering. They get a little bigger than the L.Para but not by much. The Blondi has a lot of mystique around it for sure. I love my Blondi. Just be careful and buy it from a reputable source, there are a lot of people who are willing to sell Blondi males as females because of the price they can command. There is a severe shortage of Blondi's.

BiologicalJewels

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello

I prefer Theraposa blondi, they can be a chocolate color between molts, but hands down, there is nothing like a freshly molted blondi, rich dark hues and pink setae, and fuzzy ball of the baddest urticating hairs on the abdomen. Their carapace alone demands respect. T. blondi also stridulates...try to get an L. para to do that :p
I haven't found blondi to be incredibly defensive, in fact, if taken the proper precautions and not doing it too often, T. blondi can be safely handled just like other T's (I'm not condoning doing so, simply stating my observation).
Now, I'm not taking anything away from L. paraybana, these are monsters in their own turf, they get LARGE, they are colorful (specially after a molt), and are easier on the wallet (if you get a juvie or a sling, a grown adult female can command a good amount of cash as well ;) ), their set-up doesn't require such high humidity, but they do require it to be humid nonetheless.

In the end it is the buyers decision, to own a Lasiodora parahybana is great, but to own a Theraposa blondi is, well... to own a T. blondi ;)

OR

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to agree that the LP's are far more attractive looking than a blondi. I have heard that the L klugi is a stocky tarantula in the Lasiodora family so you might one to look into that. (Thorwing that in the mix lol) Same as the LP but has reddish hairs instead of pinkish on the addomen. Grows to the same size as the LP as well with the difference that it looks stockier.
You have to also consider space requirements when considering these large tarantulas. The blondi will need more space than the LP and the humidity control (to me) is a pain with the blondi. Granted the Lasiodora's light humidity but can survive just fine with mid levels. Blondi's need the higher levels.

Xian

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Go with the Lasiodora, they get the same size as T.blondi, they are easier to keep, and they are much cheaper. Personally, I think their temperment and activity level is about the same.
Jebbewocky,

I would have to agree with Exo here.:)

I've owned both, it was nice to own a massive T. blondi, like I said, was nice! Owning one was like owning a boat, the two best days of your life are the day you buy the boat and the day you sell your boat. lol It is something that I'll always remember. With that being said. It is now nice to own a L. parahybana, it is more of a T looking T. Not quite so demanding as far as keeping conditions, and the hairs don't bother me as bad as the first one did.:)

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They do stridulate, just a bit of in short preiods of time, not like a Blondi.

I dont really think you can compare both, since they are totally different tarantulas.
Yes, both really big, but totally different looking genus and different behaviors.

Lasiodora Parahybana will settle in way faster than Theraphosa blondi.
Dont need as much room as Blondi, will be content with 15-20G tank, while Blondi needs huge space or she will feel "trapped".

Theraphoss blondi's "dirty" and "ugly" look is exactly its beauty; when you look at a full grown female..you cant think of a spider, but some kind of a mammal what your looking at.

Theraphos Blondi is stockier than any Lasiodora. Hair or not, the sizes are bigger in a blondi.
I like them both. :)

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think I'm talked into a L.parabyhana--unless Rob's latest breeding attempt with Zilla is successful. Zilla is huge, and the male was also (although slightly less) huge, and I just can't pass that pedigree up.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think I'm talked into a L.parabyhana--unless Rob's latest breeding attempt with Zilla is successful. Zilla is huge, and the male was also (although slightly less) huge, and I just can't pass that pedigree up.
It will have to do more with your care and feedings, not really the "pedigree" ;)