Theraphosa Stirmi Moulting

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
My juvenile female t.stirmi (3.5") has recently blocked off her hide. I know she's displaying classic pre-moult symptoms (dark spot on abdomen). But I was wondering what the typical duration is for this species at this size? She's moulted once two months ago. This was her two weeks ago.

Attachments

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't expect it to come out again for at least a couple weeks but probably longer than that to be honest. However when she finally opens up the entrance to her burrow she will be ready to feed again. Just wait a few more years and it's literally months before they emerge from their sealed burrows. A very nice looking stirmi you have I hope you enjoy yours, I sure do love mine.

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
Thanks. She's a beautiful girl, always eager to feed. I suppose patience must be key in this situation lol. I will miss seeing her. Oh well, I suppose the velvet worms I'm getting tomorrow will keep me company.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Patience is key with a molting theraposa. Just wait, one morning you will wake up and she will be at the entrance of her burrow with her legs spread out ready to pounce on the first thing to get close enough.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Hey buddy has your t. stirmi come out of its sealed burrow yet?
If it has I am sure she is absolutely gorgeous.

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
Nope, sorry. She's still borrowed up. It's been two and half weeks now. I've just been making sure her water dish is full and keeping substrate moist. Hopefully she'll be out in a matter of days. I will post pictures on this thread when she comes out though.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Nice. I am happy for you my man. Any time now and you will see your girl. I can't wait to see pictures of her.

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
Well, I'm relieved to say she has removed a part of the burrow. I can't see her, but obviously she's alive and well. Hopefully she'll demolish the entire blockage by tomorrow. If she's back to her old self, she won't come out at all lol. Do you think I should feed her when I see her legs sticking out?

Attachments

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
All in all my adult T stirmi was in premolt for roughly three months, then stayed in her burrow for around a month after molting last year. It won't hurt to feed crunched head feeders anytime after the fangs are black. If they don't want to eat, they won't.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
That's awesome buddy. I am happy for you and its not even my tarantula. In my years of experience with t.stirmi and t.apophysis they are ready to feed once they emerge from there burrows. They come out of there burrows when they feel they are ready to hunt and are no longer vulnerable and are able to protect themselves against predators after a molt, they wouldn't come out otherwise, that's why they spend so much time in there sealed burrows they are recovering. I would go ahead and try feeding now that your tarantula has opened up its burrow enterance. Or you could wait for it to be at the entrance with its legs spread out in hunting posture. It's really up to you. Post pics when you can bro, I want to see her, I love the t.stirmi.

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
I've just properly checked on her and she hasn't moulted. She's seems the same size and there's no moult in sight in her burrow.

Attachments

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
That's a bummer, maybe she just wanted some privacy in a safe and sound location. Tarantulas will be tarantulas after all. Just keep doing what you have been doing. Keep substrate moist and leave it be, she knows what she is doing and what's best for her.

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
Oh well. At least she's back to feeding as usual. She did this to me last time. But only blocked off partially, so I continued feeding her until I noticed a moult right at the entrance. She hasn't lost much in the abdomen either. She should moult soon as it's been over two months since the last.

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Sorry for the late update. But I thought I'd get great images when I rehoused her (I did today). But alas! Here she is...
Are you sure that's a T.stirmi? Looks like apophysis... how long have you had it?

As slings T. stirmi have pink on the first four front legs whereas T.apophysis have pink on all eight feet as slings.

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
Are you sure that's a T.stirmi? Looks like apophysis... how long have you had it?

As slings T. stirmi have pink on the first four front legs whereas T.apophysis have pink on all eight feet as slings.
I'm certain she's a stirmi. I got her four months ago from a captive bred pairing between two stirmis. Also, she does only have those white/pink feet on four legs.