Theraphosa stirmi feeding

basin79

ArachnoGod
I also disagree.

It is a matter of opinion. If you are too bothered by live vertebrate feeding to do it, fine. I'm not. I'm not an animal abuser. I just believe it's not a big deal for the reasons I've stated throughout the thread.
You're putting a live vertebrate into an enclosure to die in an unnaturally painful death but you're not an animal abuser.

OK.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
You put a frog into an enclosure with a tarantula that kills by fangs and weak venom and it's not torture.

Jog on.
I dont feed vertebrates, never have and never wanted too. Just not my thing, I wont attack others for it though.

Ironically enough, I can recall seeing you feed frozen thawed pinkies to your blondi fairly recently. You do realize those newborn mice/rats are thrown into the freezer alive and left to die, much slower and crueler death then what happened in this thread...and less natural. They are also far more intelligent then a frog.

You dont seem to have any issues feeding them off though, just cause you weren't the one who did the deed. Kind of hypocritical.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I dont feed vertebrates, never have and never wanted too. Just not my thing, I wont attack others for it though.

Ironically enough, I can recall seeing you feed frozen thawed pinkies to your blondi fairly recently. You do realize those newborn mice/rats are thrown into the freezer alive and left to die, much slower and crueler death then what happened in this thread...and less natural. They are also far more intelligent then a frog.

You dont seem to have any issues feeding them off though, just cause you weren't the one who did the deed. Kind of hypocritical.
Frozen/gassed to death or 2 massive knives stabbed into me then venom introduced to the wound.

Tough call...........

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron

After something on ig (involved live feeding), I looked it up and decided that of I ever got a snake, I would never buy from one of those vendors that sell frozen-alive mice. From what I read, there is a more human way, which includes knocking them out and I don't remember what else. Of course, that's just what I remember so please correct me if I'm wrong.

So there was an example earlier of a P. murinus killing a mouse within a short time on yt. However, that is that species. Different species of tarantulas have different levels of venom toxicity. A member on here, Cold Blood I think, talked about idk what species being fed a mouse and the mouse making screaming noises for a long time. But, I'm willing to bet that frogs wouldn't be affected the exact same way as mice.

Like I said before, I control what goes on in my house. I'd really rather not purposely cause pain to an animal, even if it 'helps' another. <-- ' ' because it feeds it, but has no extra benefits.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You're putting a live vertebrate into an enclosure to die in an unnaturally painful death but you're not an animal abuser.

OK.
It's over in seconds. Not even, really. Watch the video. If it was a agonizing slow death, I'd be against it. You make it sound like I slowly pulled it through a meat grinder. I think you're out of touch with how long and painful the actual event is. Tarantulas kill fast .Especially appropriately sized prey. Centipedes and scorps, sometimes not so much.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
feed my tarantulas. My line is if there's a chance the spider can be harmed by the prey. I do not run gladiatorial contests in my cages. Only feedings. When it comes to the pain the vertebrate can feel.. I don't care so much? I would never harm it myself or torture it. But when it comes to nature being nature, I'm not bothered with the pain they feel in the seconds before death.
I 100% agree.

"but when it comes to nature being nature"

There's absolutely nothing natural about feeding a live frog to a captive tarantula though. You wouldn't introduct a centipede/bird/wasp into the enclosure on the grounds of it being "natural".

I hate the "natural" argument. It's nonsensical in a controlled environment.
The tarantula doesn't know it isn't in nature.

Why feed a live vertebrate prey that's not needed in the first place? That argument is just as strong if not stronger.

Why aren't you bothered about the pain of prey? Ever stubbed your toe?
Don't anthropomorphize. That makes you look silly.

See the fact you're not bothered about the pain the feeder goes through is wrong. Dress it up however you like but you're admitting to animal cruelty.
Animal cruelty? Not even at all. Watch your words. Accusing someone of cruelty is serious.

If I killed you by say cutting you tongue and genitals off but then fed you too my dog and myself then fair enough?
Again with the anthropomorphism. Who cut out an animal's tongue and its genitals, anyways?!

OK.
Except that isn't what even happened. OK?

Frozen/gassed to death or 2 massive knives stabbed into me then venom introduced to the wound.

Tough call...........
We aren't talking about YOU, first off.

Second off, you might want to research what happens to a person that is frozen to death and one who is gassed to death. Both are incredibly unpleasant ways to die. AND take quite a lot longer than this frog was alive at the fangs of the T.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Watch the video.
We cannot tell how long it took to die from this 10 second long video.

In the last second of the video, the frog kicked its leg. It was still alive.

Can somebody confirm that my eyes aren't playing tricks on me?

Tarantulas kill fast .Especially appropriately sized prey.
If it takes as long to kill a vertebrate here as it does an Avic to kill a mealworm, (smaller than its abdomen) then it does suffer. Just sayin'.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If I killed you by say cutting you tongue and genitals off but then fed you too my dog and myself then fair enough?
Are you Italian, by chance? :kiss:

An helluva of people 'disappeared' for magic into captive kept huge boars belly... 'Hannibal' movie was spot on about Italy :pompous:

Centipedes and scorps, sometimes not so much.
Ah ah, that 'sometimes not so much' is a bit of an euphemism :pompous:

I don't judge keepers like you (you know what you are doing, to begin with) while obviously, sick voyeurs that, on purpose, do that (yeah, they do exists... a lot of inverts wannabe fellas do that, sadly, as we know) piss me off but I'm with @basin79 as well, when he talks about pain.

I mean, a properly sized and well healthy fed and hydrated cricket (which btw still remain great as a feeder, eh) doesn't suffer when throwed in the "mouth" of an adult P.cancerides.

That's not 'hypocrisy' or 'one animal life matters more than another': simply they doesn't have the time for suffer. It's like being hit by a truck/train at full speed... bum, dead in no time and they, the medical team, will need the spoon for catch what remains. Terrible, ok, but not painful at least.

In sum, an adult Theraphosidae chelicerae works exactly, on a cricket, like a truck/train that at full speed hit a person, on a term of mere pain/death.

But a live mice into a S.subspinipes enclosure, eh... now it's like if someone slowly torture a human, I mean, that pain is absurd, let's be honest and admit this.

But as I've said, I'm not judging you.

I do remain, however, a bit skeptical about how much those vertebrates are/could be 'more better, or equally better' than healthy and well hydrated crickets and roaches (yeah I know that in Canada are banned, this is a generic statement, not directed to you) :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
kicked its leg. It was still alive.
Maybe you haven't seen a lot of recently dead animals, but muscle movement does not signal life. There are two stages to death - the heart stopping and the brain stopping. Muscle twitching/jerking happen in this process (ever heard of death throes?).

Also, in regards to frozen/thawed feeders from companies... they are transitioning to anesthetizing before using C02 to complete the euthanasia.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
We cannot tell how long it took to die from this 10 second long video.

In the last second of the video, the frog kicked its leg. It was still alive.

Can somebody confirm that my eyes aren't playing tricks on me?

If it takes as long to kill a vertebrate here as it does an Avic to kill a mealworm, (smaller than its abdomen) then it does suffer. Just sayin'.
10 seconds tops. Death is probably closer to five seconds. This is not a long time.

Yeah.. don't know how often you feed your spiders, but invertebrates have similar death throes..

Do people seriously think these animals feed exclusively on invertebrate prey in the wild? There's loads of pictures of Avicularia in the wild feeding on various tree frogs. There's a scientific paper on Poecilotheria feeding on bats.

This is not a unnatural evil thing to do. This is more natural than those of you who feed exclusively inverts. :rofl:

@Chris LXXIX agreed. I said I dont really agree with feeding mice to pedes. They don't kill as fast.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
@Chris LXXIX agreed. I said I dont really agree with feeding mice to pedes. They don't kill as fast.
In my experience, pedes don't even make effort to kill their prey... they just start eating it. So yeah, I can see where feeding a live vert in that situation causes suffering.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Taking my usual route of not debating but look man I just like using inverts for feeders 'cause it's easier that way.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Maybe you haven't seen a lot of recently dead animals, but muscle movement does not signal life. There are two stages to death - the heart stopping and the brain stopping. Muscle twitching/jerking happen in this process (ever heard of death throes?).
That completely slipped my mind, sorry.