1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theraphosa stirmi feeding

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Venom1080, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Advertisement
    I can personally guarantee to everyone here that frogs are a true Delicatessen, since forever here in northern Italy and France we eat those jumping greenish lovely. The legs, fried, are delicious :hungry:

The difference between me and @Venom1080 here is that I would had throwed the jumping yummi in a wok, while the spider 'ciccia'... maybe a vulgar common cricket if he/she's a good eight legged 'son', otherwise, diet :yawn:

Here, straight from 'Donna Moderna' (means 'Modern Woman', ih ih ih) the recipe of rice with frogs.

Sublime, awesome, amazing, a luxury for spiders :pompous:

https://ricette.donnamoderna.com/risotto-con-le-rane

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince Active Member

Texas
    Here in the Texas/Louisiana/Southern U.S. we not only eat the frog legs, but we hunt the frogs ourselves. Now personally I have never been frog gigging, but a few of my friends have and do on a fairly regular basis. It's actually fairly popular to hunt them with bows as well, but I'd imagine you would either have to be really close to the frog or be really good with a bow if you wanted to go home with anything more than a light snack's worth of legs.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

We never hunted down those because, due to our environment, they were basically everywhere: KM zero, from garden to kitchen :)

Also, every kind of snails :hungry: and we have a nice CB intensive frog/snails activity for eating purposes. Horse meat as well - damn if I love horse meat! :angelic:

When I want to eat such Delicatessen, I reach 'Da Romè' restaurant at Mezzana Bigli (loved even by Roberto Baggio, former Serie A champion) for yummi the hell out of those :kiss:

2018-07-12_003256.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. kevinlowl

kevinlowl Arachnoknight

KL
    nice now try a pigeon

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

I'll see what nests are around the house. Only baby birds are fed here.

6. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnobaron Old Timer

I had a huge Xenesthis immanis female, around 8-9 inches that i fed a small frog. I regreted it afterwords cos frogs are redlisted in Swedan so its not allowed to take them from the wild! But the spider seemed to love it! But this was many years ago!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Old Timer

I'm glad you resurrected this thread! That was a cool video.

I don't understand why people have a problem with feeding non-inverts... I guess that is a symptom of getting your meat from the grocery store.

8. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnobaron Old Timer

I have no problems with the actual feedig. It was because frogs are redlisted i got bad consions! I have had snakes in the past and those i gave live mice so i dont mind!

9. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnolord Active Member

There’s about a million threads on this but it’s mostly to do with people that don’t want to cause prolonged suffering, though that’s probably not a problem with a tiny frog when fangs the size of a T. stirmi’s would probably crush and kill it instantly. Also probably because mice are the most common live vertebrates people feed Ts and a mouse can chew a hole in a tarantula fairly easily

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. 0311usmc

0311usmc Arachnosquire

Utah
    I agree that a full grown mouse can do damage to a tarantula, whether it's by teeth or nails on the feet. I use rat pups to feed both my theraphosas after a molt. They are litteraly defenseless and have no hair. I see nothing wrong with feeding large tarantulas frogs, lizards or mice.

Attached Files:

11. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

My problem with feeding LIVE verts is that it's known they have a complex nervous system and thus feel real pain. It's not a case of knowing there's something trapped or "not right" and an invert struggles.

A mouse/rat (most commonly tortured) do feel real pain. A tarantula doesn't give 2 shakes of a monkey's tail if the rodent has been knocked or is F/T before it sinks its fangs in. The rodent would.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Justin H

Justin H Previously Justin Henderson Active Member

I live way too close to other people to assume there are no pesticides in the environment. Remember, toxins bioaccumulate over the trophic levels. You're likely slowly poisoning your Ts if you live anywhere near a proper city and feed them wildlife.

There's a scientific consensus that most inverts have the capacity to feel pain and suffer. I was also told growing up that their nervous system wasn't complex enough to feel anything and that they were driven solely by instinct, but this is a myth. Our understanding of inverts has changed drastically over the past two decades; we'll likely see invertebrate welfare laws in the states in our lifetime.

• Like Like x 1
  13. basin79

Aye. I agree the whole pain receptors are up in the air with regards to inverts.

What isn't is that vertebrates suffer more pain due to their complex nervous system. Being that tarantulas will 100% take verts dead it just seems pointless torture and suffering for them fed alive.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Spidermolt

Spidermolt Arachnoknight

I'm just saying if anyone is worried about that stirmi getting any parasites from the frog remember that depending on where it was bought from for all we know that stirmi was also wild caught and already has parasites.

15. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnobaron Active Member

Iowa
    I... still don't think I'd take the chance of possibly exposing my T to a parasite it probably doesn't have... o_O

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Venom1080

CB. Raised from sling from tarantulacanada.

Spider is still healthy believe it or not and no longer in my collection. Was traded to a breeder six months or so back.

I feed my tarantulas. My line is if there's a chance the spider can be harmed by the prey. I do not run gladiatorial contests in my cages. Only feedings. When it comes to the pain the vertebrate can feel.. I don't care so much? I would never harm it myself or torture it. But when it comes to nature being nature, I'm not bothered with the pain they feel in the seconds before death.

The metal music was me feeding the "edgy" stereotype surrounding vertebrate feeding. Not me trying to be cool, just ironic. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Award Award x 1
  17. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnolord Active Member

Do you have some citations on the scientific consensus you speak of? I've been taught the opposite during my entomology degree is why I ask, but I'm happy to learn from well polished published work.

edit: I should more correctly say that from our current understanding its generally accepted (in my experience dealing with Entomologists of a variety of specifications) that they don't feel pain, at least not in the way we do, but there is admittedly a lot we still don't know.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  18. basin79

"but when it comes to nature being nature"

There's absolutely nothing natural about feeding a live frog to a captive tarantula though. You wouldn't introduct a centipede/bird/wasp into the enclosure on the grounds of it being "natural".

I hate the "natural" argument. It's nonsensical in a controlled environment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Venom1080

Sure, to be fair, I don't think Theraphosa encounter this species of frog in the wild.

This is a FEEDING. Not a contest of any sort. That's why I wouldn't introduce a centipede, bird, wasp, etc. I don't want harm coming to my tarantulas. And like I said above, the pain the prey feels doesn't bother me.

I wouldn't go out of my way to hurt these animals, but I have nothing against feeding them to my Ts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. basin79

So it's nothing to do with nature. Not sure why another animals pain doesn't bother you. Granted it can't ever be removed if you eat meat or have pets that eat meat but you should at least make sure an animal dies in the most humane way possible. Why not kill the frog first with a tap to the head? The tarantula still gets the frog. Win/win.

• Agree Agree x 3