Theraphosa stirmi "burgundy"

satch

Arachnoknight
Hey if any one can help thats great!! i got my female at 1 inch in size last year and yesturday she died suddonly she was 7inch never had any molt problems or anything just died temp was 75-80 degrees and humitity was 80% ive kept her the same way since day 1 i dont get it if ya have any suggestions please help me out!!!! thanks!!

satch

Arachnoknight
Any pictures of the spider or setup?
sorry just seen your post! no pictures and its in the freezer now!!! i think maybe i mean maybe just a little too dry i kinda slacked a bit due to working like crazy so my stupidity ended in my favorite T's death!! never again will this happen!!!

synyster

Arachnobaron
These are very fragile spiders despite their size. Constant 90% humidity and over is a must during it's whole lifetime. Sorry for your loss but I think you found this out the hard way...

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From 1 inch to 7 inches in one year. I think I know what killed her. How many times did she molt?

synyster

Arachnobaron
From 1 inch to 7 inches in one year. I think I know what killed her. How many times did she molt?
People tend to overestimate their Theraphosa species so I didn't think a big deal of it. But now that it's mentioned, are you sure it grew 6 inches in one year!? Took mine around 4 years for that result...

And also, what did you feed it?

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, growing that much in a year is a lot.
How often did you feed it?

satch

Arachnoknight
These are very fragile spiders despite their size. Constant 90% humidity and over is a must during it's whole lifetime. Sorry for your loss but I think you found this out the hard way...
ya i think so!! But with being so damp will there be any problem with mold??

---------- Post added 08-24-2011 at 09:14 AM ----------

i just counted the molts unless im missing one i have 5 molts!! Its was about 15 months and i only feed her crickets!! And every week or so id put 5 big crickets in !!

---------- Post added 08-24-2011 at 09:16 AM ----------

People tend to overestimate their Theraphosa species so I didn't think a big deal of it. But now that it's mentioned, are you sure it grew 6 inches in one year!? Took mine around 4 years for that result...

And also, what did you feed it?
i messure legs spread out!! About 7 inch how do u measure?

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In my opinion 5 big crickets a week is over feeding. I feed one appropriately sized cricket per week or even two weeks and all mine grow at a steady pace with no unexplained deaths. I think this was your problem.

satch

Arachnoknight
In my opinion 5 big crickets a week is over feeding. I feed one appropriately sized cricket per week or even two weeks and all mine grow at a steady pace with no unexplained deaths. I think this was your problem.
I guess its really hard to say seeing i keep getting different opinions now dont get me wrong im not saying your not right or your wrong i dont know thats why i went looking for tips! im definatly learning from my mistake. so what should i feed every 2nd week all my T's??

also ya hit in up the red deer show? im gonna try if im off should be an awsome time!

Last edited by a moderator:

T Enthusiast

Arachnopeon
Ok, trolling aside, I think the two biggest things Satch, to take away from this thread, are next time if you keep this species:

1: Cut back on the feeding a little bit.
2: Keep the humidity higher and more regulated.

Sorry about your loss, but it will only be a serious problem if you try again and don't learn from this experience. Good luck.