1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theraphosa care and info

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Nightstalker47, Jan 9, 2018.

1. EDED

EDED Arachnobaron Old Timer

USA
    Advertisement
    nobody talked about temperature

from my experience, these jungle floor dwelling species, Theraphosa , Pampho, Xenesthis
    will do fine at low or mid 70s F, 23deg C

any other thoughts on the temp? they definitely seem stressed out when the temp gets near 80F (26deg C) or higher. They would come out of the hide and walk all over the tank<<trying to escape or avoid

also i noticed that
    Theraphosa adults are surprisingly hardy, withstanding temporary dry spell, temperature drop etc, from my experience importing them.

2. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Really? My room gets into the low eighties on occasion. I never noticed anything.

3. EDED

EDED Arachnobaron Old Timer

USA
    yes thats why i asked others for their inputs,

however i am pretty sure they wouldnt do well at 85 or above.

I think thats why i am successful at breeding burrowing spiders only i keep them cooler,
    where African and some other NW species need it much higher temp for their metabolism

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

I noticed the same thing you described with my giant adult female T. stirmi. With temperatures over 100 degrees F in Texas for the past week, my spider room got to nearly 90 degrees F for a few days. The T. stirmi kept leaving its hide and wandered around its container. Since temperatures dropped in my spider room to below 85 degrees F, it settled down and went back to never coming out of its hide. In an attempt to remedy the high temperatures in its plastic container, I soaked the substrate with cool water which seemed to help it calm down some.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

Adult theraphosa seem most comfortable in the mid to low seventies just as you mentioned earlier, many have noticed this wandering behavior and its definitely temperature related. I can attest to keeping them slightly cooler as well, and they do just fine.

When it comes to breeding, high temps can be detrimental on the females...and cause the sacs to go bad, lots of the difficulty breeding this genus stems from keeping them too warm and thinking they need it. What we know for certain, is that these live in deep burrows underground where temps are much lower then the surface...and these wooded areas are all relatively cool and shaded.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

So you do not have air conditioning?

I would wet them let substrate dry out when I had a sick T stirmi sold to me with a cyst . I tried my hardest to save it but it pushed lid off even with clips . And injured it’s abdom even worse re opening cyst , R.I.P.
    Very tough T tough as nails as adults . So are phamphos.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2018
  7. Nightstalker47

World record for fastest growing spider?

Just wanted to follow up on how crazy fast this genus can grow.

After noticing my largest stirmi molted last night, I took the opportunity to measure her molt and saw just how large she was. Without even stretching the molt in the least, she was 8'' on the dot.

Looking at her now, I would estimate she has grown another inch in DLS from this molt...her carapace has gotten enormous as well. To think that this spider is less then three years of age is just remarkable. Has anyone even experienced anything close to this? Literally went from 1.5'' to roughly 9'' in this short time span.

It seems unlikely to me, who knows...I might actually hold the record for fastest growing tarantula ever. 20180912_170039.jpg 20180912_170121.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Venom1080

Sounds pretty typical to me honestly. Within 2 years you generally have a adult ~7" Poecilotheria.

9. Nightstalker47

True enough, but comparatively poecs are much smaller in build then any Theraphosa, even an 8" female regalis is probably smaller then a six or seven inch theraphosa...if you see where im heading.

My female is doing the post molt stretching now, Ill see if I can get some quick pics of her...just crazy though. At roughly 9" now, shes bigger then any poec could ever be...physically anyway, some can actually get that large in leg span. ;)

10. Venom1080

Still same legspan ;)

I do see where you're going with it. But if one spider gets 7" in 2 years and another ten in 2.5, and ones thicker, which one really grew faster?

11. Nightstalker47

I agree that leg span always comes first reference wise, still...never heard of any poec hitting 9" in less then three years.

Lets just put it this way, if you had both spiders side by side and they had an identical DLS, you would instantly know which one was bigger.

Theraphosa stirmi - mature spermathecae
    20180912_013935.jpg AF post molt.
    [​IMG]

12. Venom1080

That's fair.. and a challenge.. hopefully one day when I can breed rufilata or buy some more ornata off you I'll test that.

Ornata went from 3/4" to 5" in a year. Only about 2" in the next year. I'll let you know if she hits nine before Sept 9 2019. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. esa space station

esa space station Arachnosquire Active Member

Hi how you doing mate!thought i saw that user name !i used to be on another site it was you who mentioned ze germans to me! Since then i have dealt with many and have got some t blondi 1.1s k
    Did u ever get a result with t blondi pairing any slings?

Ive Always found thats it best to water the soil a little near /slightly inside burrow and a dry layer pn top to maintain the humidity at acceptable level as compared fo the r h in the air .yes i know its pf some debate some kerp t blond either to wet or to dry id learned yo keep a happy medium

Yrp i agree i remember the lovely sub female i paid 85 for 14 yr ago!blondest id ever seen!

Spot on 18-22 degrees inside burrow typically as light is only 15-25 percent after going thru forest canopy as well although i aim for 21-25 c with 70-80 humidity where the spider is in its microclimate the rest is kept dry

14. Nightstalker47

Dont worry about ambient humidity numbers, its not something that really factors in...moist sub, good cross vent and you're all set.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. esa space station

Lee
    Keep up the good work on the theraphosa im interested i seeing these as much as bigfoot!

16. Teds ts and Inverts

Teds ts and Inverts Arachnosquire Active Member

Well done! I definitely agree that most people over-complicate the husbandry of Theraphosa. I will add that I keep my Female Juvenile T. stirmi in a glass aquarium with little to no issues. For ventilation, I just cover a portion of the screen top with paper towel (I will soon replace the screen top with vented plexiglass, as I don't want the T to get her feet stuck if she decides to climb), leaving two spaces in the lid for air flow (one on each side of the tank), and I used a glass drill bit to drill holes into the side of the aquarium for added ventilation. Nothing against the sterilite tubs, but the aquarium looks alot nicer and I've been keeping her with great success in it! :)
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

I am so glad someone with experience has said this, what boggled my brain when looking for care before this thread was the amount of YouTube videos/Care sheets from other forums saying Theraphosa need high temps 28C+

18. antinous

antinous Phormic-Addict Arachnosupporter

I’ve seen some Pampho species at a nice crisp 60-65 degrees. Not saying all species should be kept like this, but there are always exception to this rule

19. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Never read care sheets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. esa space station

Yep .i have to say ive been keeping mine this way for some time now.with good cross flow ventilation on sides thru perspex sheeting(on side s of glass aquaruim on vivaruim track) .since someone mentioned temp yeh it doesnt have to be 28.c i know.im currently translating a book(boris striffler) and the climate for theraphosa blondi is nearer 25.c all
    Year round but 30.c for t.apophysis.i find 22.c to 24.c(day to be ideal in any case.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1