1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theraphosa apophysis care?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Lange Jo, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Lange Jo

Lange Jo Arachnopeon

Brussel
    Advertisement
    Hi,
    I'm getting my first Theraphosa sp. and it's going to be a T. apophysis sling. They are quite expensive and I want to take preper care of him/her. So that's what I wanted to ask you guys what the best care is for them, from sling to adult.
    Thank you!

2. l4nsky

l4nsky Arachnoknight Active Member

STL
    What's your relative experience keeping T's? Any experience with moisture dependent species like Asian Fossorials?

• Like Like x 1
  3. 0311usmc

0311usmc Arachnosquire

Utah
    All you need is deep moist substrate with plenty of ventilation and a good hide. Keeping theraphosas is actually really easy, don't get what all the fuss is with theraphosas as being an advanced specie. If you can keep the sub moist and have good ventilation to avoid mold and fungus and give a good hide I find them super easy to care for. My female apophysis eating a roach.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. sourpatchkid

sourpatchkid Arachnopeon Active Member

I keep my T. Blondi sling the same way, with a small coconut shell as a hide. It only uses the hide when molting. Most of the time, it fills it up with dirt.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Its not that they are hard to keep, its more that new keepers tend to struggle for a period when first dealing with moisture dependent species....getting things just right with moisture at the right levels and in the right places in combination with proper ventilation tends to have a bit of a learning curve....its this learning period that often costs Theraposa their lives.

I absolutely agree though, for an experienced keeper its not all that difficult.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. mack1855

mack1855 Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

Ya,the whole group,blondi,stirmi,and apophysis are not difficult,and are actually in your face,big and
    fun spoods.But,as @cold blood has said,you need to be on top of their care.
    You cant take a two week holiday from their care.Mind the hair,and the attitude for sure, and
    they are more fun than a barrel of spooders.And they can move out,for big spiders,so keep
    that in mind,its been said here on AB before,but….just a reminder...and food,food and then more food,
    and we are not talking medium crickets here.Half a chicken!!!a week, and im kidding.:woot:.
    But they do take big prey items.

I understand what your saying and i agree with you. I don't find the theraphosa to be as fragile as most people think however. I find them to be pretty hardy actually. Sometimes i accidentally over water the substrate or when i would work out of town for weeks at a time i would come home to a drier than acceptable substrate only to find a hungry tarantula wanting a roach that would grab it before it hit the dirt.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lange Jo

Lange Jo Arachnopeon

Brussel
    First of all I'm not a beginner. :) I have H. maculata, B. albipolosum, Pterinochilus chordatus, crested Geckos, Scolopendra cingulata, Chaerilus stockmannorum and different other true spiders. I have spagnummoss for them, will get springtails for the terrarium. So I need to get them a terra with crossventilation, deep substrate (how deep in cm? ), a hide, spagnummoss, springtails and a water dish? Isn't it best to keep half te substrate moist?

She's beautiful

• Like Like x 1
  8. 0311usmc

0311usmc Arachnosquire

Utah
    I keep my Theraphosas just like I do my Asian fossorials. This is my T.stirmi on the left and my C.lividus on the right. Plenty of moist substrate and a good hide.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. BarbaraStreetBaby

BarbaraStreetBaby Arachnopeon

I keep my 9 inch female t stirmi the exact same way!! Down to a T

Im currently feeding her XL adult hissing cockroaches and superworms with the ocassional small lizard/ pinky mouse. All theraphosa sp. will LOVE TO EAT

• Like Like x 2
  10. esa space station

esa space station Arachnosquire Active Member

Ebay and other such places are great for clear plastic tubs that u can add cross flow ventilation to.(a row of holes each side).u need a few inch of substrate ! Lightly dpray it till damp and let it soak in.humidity is impirtant at

• Like Like x 1
  11. 0311usmc

0311usmc Arachnosquire

Utah
    I wouldn't recommend spraying water in a Theraphosa enclosure especially an apophysis enclosure. Their urcitating hairs are brutal, like wake you up at 2:26am scratching your hand till you rub off a layer of skin like a carpet burn bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. esa space station

Well i meant to let water pool up an drain a bit

13. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnolord Active Member

I don't think it is just the husbandry that makes this an advanced species, they are high strung, skittish, fast and can be defensive.

Why couldn't you? There is no way an enclosure will dry out that fast, it takes more than 2 weeks for my blondi's enclosure to start drying out.

14. 0311usmc

0311usmc Arachnosquire

Utah

15. esa space station

Thats why im sticking with t blondi species as opposed to t apophysis.more chilled out

16. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnolord Active Member

No idea about the apophysis, I have only had my blondi kick at me once.
    Surprisingly calm during rehousing, I have rehomed him 3 times so far.

• Like Like x 1