1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Themed Terrariums

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Darkmatter57, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Darkmatter57

Darkmatter57 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Okay so soon i will be rehousing two tarantulas and wanted to theme my enclosures rather than go for a purely naturalistic enclosure, for my aboreal i wanted to make like an ancient greek ruins theme where i will use a broken pot decoration with an opening on the side and on the top as an aboreal hide, will my tarantula mind using this?(https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001OVF7HU)
    I also wanted to put in some columns, vines and fake leaves and stuff to give it like an overgrown feel, opinions? Is it a bad idea?

2. Theneil

Theneil Arachnodemon Active Member

USA
    Main issue i see is that an arboreal might want it's hide up off the ground more.

Lots of fake leaves and vines in clusters is definitely a good idea though.

What species is it?
    For something like a Avicularia sp. i probably wouldn't use that as a hide (but it can still be in there as decor for you. My P. irminia might use something like that thoug since they generally make their dirt curtain tunnels on the ground anyway.

3. Campi95

Campi95 Arachnosquire

I have a curly hair that loves her little Mayan city. I love themed terrariums. The vase will be great if it’s a terrestrial, and if she is the right size she will gladly use it. I would lower it so that the vase opening was on ground level so if she goes in and out she doesn’t hurt herself on the jagged edges.

If it’s an arboreal, they won’t really care whether the vertical substrate is bark or plastic column as long as the column is textured enough that they can get a grip. Vines going down the column will definitely help.

Post a pic when you’re done!

Attached Files:

4. Darkmatter57

Darkmatter57 Arachnopeon

Its just an A. Avic

5. Theneil

Theneil Arachnodemon Active Member

USA
    An avic is unlikely to use a hide on or near the ground. i see no issue with it being in the enclosure for your theme, it just won't get used. Make sure there are some good clusters of cover (fake leaves, pants, vines etc) at the top of the enclosure, preferably away from the door, that the spider can use to create itself a home.

6. Do it in away so that it looks like the vase is being ovrergown by vines? I stole the idea from guild wars 2. Either the tablet of the grove/white tree/mother tree. And the nature dragon. Even though you don't need to know about gw2 the idea of how to hold the hide up in the ground seems like a cool idea.

7. Campi95

Campi95 Arachnosquire

If it’s an Avic I would suggest against the vase. If not on the floor it becomes a hazard (unless you hot glue it against a wall) and if she ever decides to make a nest inside you will not see her in forever. And if it’s on the floor it’ll look nice, but it’ll give feeders a hiding place and make it hard for the Avic to get to it.

Something like this may work:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017JG9JY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VNegBb1AAK8C7
    Use a hammer to break it into individual columns, then lay them against the side (hot glued preferably) and put some fake vines to make clutter?