Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Cyriopagopus sp.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Now, we oftentimes see lists on AB, YouTube, and everywhere else, talking about the BEST beginner Ts, but we never hear, you know, people talking about the WORST beginner Ts.

So, with all that being said, state the T that, in your opinion, is the worst that a beginner could start with, and why.

I hope that this thread can be helpful for new keepers, so I feel that while it is important to understand what makes a good beginner T, it is equally important to know about the Ts that aren’t suitable for beginners, and why one should gain some experience before attempting to keep them.

I’ll start by saying Cyriopagopus minax and Cyriopagopus lividus.

C. lividus (Cobalt Blue):
upload_2019-8-16_0-28-25.jpeg

C. minax (Thailand Black):
upload_2019-8-16_0-34-54.jpeg

Technically, I haven’t acquired my C. minax yet, but I’m getting one very soon, and I’ve heard (and seen) enough about them to justify their spot on this list. For starters, they are Obligate Burrowers, and it can be frustrating to a new keeper that wants to be able to see their T. They both require moist substrate, which is sometimes difficult for a new keeper to maintain properly. They are extremely defensive, and don’t have any problems throwing up a threat pose or biting. And being OW Ts, both bites from C. minax and C. lividus are absolutely debilitating, and have symptoms that can last for over a month. And last but not least, they are FAST. Their speed is incomprehensible, and their movements are hard to predict. I’ve had my Female C. lividus bolt up the side of a catch cup, up my arm, and onto my back, in a matter of SECONDS. Fortunately, I didn’t get bit, but it was still a sobering reminder of what these animals are capable of....

Those are my two nominations, what are yours? Hope this helps for any new keepers out there! :)

Last edited:

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I'd probably put S. calceatum at the top from research, though I don't have person experience owning one. Next would probably put OBT even though you sometimes see people get these without much or any experience.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
S. calceatum don't have the reputation for being one of the most advanced species in the hobby for no reason. They're lightning fast, skittish as all hell, and possess quite possibly the most potent venom to humans amongst known species. A bite from an S. cal can leave you with symptoms including but not limited to respiratory issues, heart palpitations, muscle cramping, and then some for a good while after the initial bite. On top of that they're reclusive and photosensitive as it comes. If set up right you'll probably just about never see it, and if not it'll be rather sketchy any time you have to get into the enclosure for whatever reason. My immature male has never 100% settled into his enclosure and will bolt 10 ways to Sunday before he chills out enough for me to even consider popping the top off. Even then I don't let my gaze wander from where he is until I have the lid back on and secure.

The only thing that'd make me possibly place H. maculata above them is that newbies tend to be far more attracted to the S. cal's fairer cousin and thus are more likely to actually end up getting one. At least the obligate burrowers/fossorials will dig a hole and stay in there, which means the hardest outside of a few exceptions will be rehousings once it's established itself in the enclosure. Arboreals don't always give us the luxury of having a designated safe spot to go to and IME have more of a propensity to flee upwards.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I think this question should be contextualized. Most would approach it in the manner demonstrated above, i.e., the consequence to the keeper. Example being, you won’t see it, or the results to you of being bitten, such as described above concerning the S. caleatum. Of course, all of this is true potentially, but how many bite reports do you see regarding S. cals or H. macs? The most novice and/or inept keeper generally realizes their potential and acts accordingly, as with any other “higher end” species. The context I believe that should also be taken into consideration for worst beginner species is the consequence to the spider as a result of improper husbandry by beginners. As I stated above, we don’t regularly receive bite reports, but we get a rather fair dose of bad stuff happening to spiders, e.g., skittish specimens escaping, never to be seen again, T’s being placed in ICU’s and dying, etc.. Heck, someone who had never owned a tarantula before asked a couple weeks ago about obtaining an O. violaceopes for their first. Yeah, an OV can potentially put a hurting on you, but it is tremendously more likely to die as a result of inept husbandry. So, I think we must consider the dangers to the spiders at least as much (I would say more than) danger to the keepers, as this danger is much more objectively evident. I agree wholeheartedly with the list provided, but I think it should be at least twice as long with the addition of husbandry sensitive specimens.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Doesn't exist something like a "worst beginner T", on the other hand exists obnoxious "worst beginner T keepers" that keep purchasing T's they aren't prepared to care for, this due to a mix of ignorance and egoism - helped in that, often, by certain sellers :writer:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Yes, I agree with all of the above. I feel like any Theraphosa sp. would be high on my list as well due to their sensitivity, urticating hairs, and because a mistake could lead to you losing a $100 dollar sling.

That's just my two cents.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Anybody else have any opinions the want to share? As I mentioned in OP, I want this to be useful to those just getting into the hobby, so the more opinions and thoughts, the better :)

Minty

@londontarantulas
Any tarantula is the 'worst beginner tarantula', if the beginner hasn't done their research. Hard to argue with anything said above, though.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would say S caceatum, based on my own experience with them. To transfer a P murinus compared to a S calceatum is often like night and day. I suspect they have the strongest venom of nearly all tarantulas, and they can be very defenssive aswell

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Context IS important, as noted above.

Also, I'm thinking that the categorization should be divided between Old Worlds and New Worlds, as the qualifications for worst beginner spider is different. An NW can be the worst beginner spider for entirely different reasons than those for an OW.

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
Yes, I agree with all of the above. I feel like any Theraphosa sp. would be high on my list as well due to their sensitivity, urticating hairs, and because a mistake could lead to you losing a $100 dollar sling.

That's just my two cents.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I am a beginner (6 month into the hobby) and have no problems with my T. Blondi juvie so far. Except her sitting on a decaying roach in her burrow and not letting me remove it :meh:.

Is there anything specific that I should watch out for? I think I have moisture, careful interaction and enclosure requirements covered.

Btw: wouldn't then be nhandu also critical?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Urzeitmensch, if you have the care requirements down pat, and are careful about the urticating hairs, you should be good. I listed Theraphosa because they generally require more specialized care, have the biggest and worst urticating hairs in the hobby, and are usually much more expensive than your average Grammostola porteri. Therefore, if you make a mistake, like we all are bound to do at one point or another, you may end up with either a very swollen arm, or a dead spider.
But then again, it goes back to the idea "If you are comfortable and prepared for it...". So even if a newbie buys an Old World or feistier New World, just so long as they are comfortable with keeping a very venomous, fast, and defensive spider, and have taken the necessary steps to make sure they or someone else doesn't get bit and the spider doesn't escape, then they are golden.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

basin79

ArachnoGod
For me I'd say an OW fossorial is the worst.

You could have someone who is used to dealing with fast venomous snakes that fancies a tarantula. Having a tarantula you rarely see for your first would be a massive let down.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
S. caelcatum is bad for any beginner (according to votes), but that whole list is all bad equally for any beginner as with any OW.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I am a beginner (6 month into the hobby) and have no problems with my T. Blondi juvie so far. Except her sitting on a decaying roach in her burrow and not letting me remove it :meh:.

Is there anything specific that I should watch out for? I think I have moisture, careful interaction and enclosure requirements covered.

Btw: wouldn't then be nhandu also critical?
Around a year and a half ago, I got a T. stirmi sling as my 2nd T, and I haven’t had any issues either. But for the average person that’s just getting into T keeping, Theraphosa sp. have pretty demanding care requirements and have some of the worst urticating hairs in the hobby, so they aren’t really suitable for most beginners. But as mentioned above, it all depends on the keeper, whether or not they do their research and feel comfortable while working with their animal. Good luck with yours!

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I voted other. But not for a particular species, but for any species that is rare in the hobby. I've seen a lot of newbies spending a lot of money getting rare species. Get some experience with some more common species first, instead of taking a chance on killing a rare T sling and losing a lot of money in the process. Even the experts lose slings, but a newbie with little or no experience is far more likely to do so.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say S calceatum, wouldn’t even recommend for an intermediate keeper. It’s like the speed of a Chilobrachys but it’s arboreal. Strong venom too.

I had a sling that I raised to a juvenile, it died in an unfortunate pesticide incident before it could become an adult, however even as a juvie it was just insanely fast. But if you know what you’re doing they don’t give you much trouble, however a beginner would have much trouble.

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
I just came across a post where someone had gotten two L. violaceopes slings for their first Ts and was asking for advice. Maybe that's not quite as bad as an S. calceatum or an H. mac, and at least they're starting with slings, but that is a LOT of spider to start with!