The (un)real way to handle spiders

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
On a porch at a nearby restaurant. Lunch. Our idyll shattered by screechy histrionic noise from a couple of tables down. A pair of foo foo gals in full cry, volume dialed up 11.

My pard done listens as I wince at the shrill wails, explaining to me, 'spider'. Aha! a call to arms. We both saunter on down that way and take in the freak out. One woman frozen in her seat, except for her vocal chords. Another woman sitting beside her is wapping in the direction of her head with a napkin. About right.

On female #1's shoulder is a lovely Nephila. A young female, body length 3/4 of an inch. My wife tries to do explaining as she directs me to collect the spider. Time to rescue the fair maiden from a ravening damsel.

The spider is more than fed up. As my hand gets near her she rears back in a full blown threat display. Yo and whoa!. Calm down. Chill out, chicklet. That's right at 10 on the Nephy tension scale. Can't really blame her though. Probably trying to lay in some guy lines for a new web in the tree above when she comes under this ridiculous assault.

My pard moves in and it's spider 101 for me. She shakes her finger under the spider's... nose? "Now stop that!" It instantly puts all eight paws down. Pard isn't done. "BE NICE!" It ducks it's head. I'm in duhhhhh mode. She has just turned an irate spider into a scolded puppy caught widdling in the corner. She places her hand on the woman's shoulder in front of the spider. "Come on."
Am I really seeing this? She gently pokes the spider's butt and it meekly crawls onto her hand.

Now she drops into her normal gooey mode. Holding the spider up in front of her face and cooing. "What a good girl. Aren't you pretty? You a sweety." She holds her hand out towards me. I hold my hand up in front of the spider. Pard gives it another gentle prod on the rump. "Off you go." It delicately crawls onto my hand and parks.

Hand held in front of me I stroll on off to a shrubbed wild area and select a new home for the lovely lady, all the while thinking, "Did I really see that? Is there any way I can package my jungle born and raised nature girl and rent her out to someplace like Senkenberg?"

The wolf

Arachnolord
On a porch at a nearby restaurant. Lunch. Our idyll shattered by screechy histrionic noise from a couple of tables down. A pair of foo foo gals in full cry, volume dialed up 11.

My pard done listens as I wince at the shrill wails, explaining to me, 'spider'. Aha! a call to arms. We both saunter on down that way and take in the freak out. One woman frozen in her seat, except for her vocal chords. Another woman sitting beside her is wapping in the direction of her head with a napkin. About right.

On female #1's shoulder is a lovely Nephila. A young female, body length 3/4 of an inch. My wife tries to do explaining as she directs me to collect the spider. Time to rescue the fair maiden from a ravening damsel.

The spider is more than fed up. As my hand gets near her she rears back in a full blown threat display. Yo and whoa!. Calm down. Chill out, chicklet. That's right at 10 on the Nephy tension scale. Can't really blame her though. Probably trying to lay in some guy lines for a new web in the tree above when she comes under this ridiculous assault.

My pard moves in and it's spider 101 for me. She shakes her finger under the spider's... nose? "Now stop that!" It instantly puts all eight paws down. Pard isn't done. "BE NICE!" It ducks it's head. I'm in duhhhhh mode. She has just turned an irate spider into a scolded puppy caught widdling in the corner. She places her hand on the woman's shoulder in front of the spider. "Come on."
Am I really seeing this? She gently pokes the spider's butt and it meekly crawls onto her hand.

Now she drops into her normal gooey mode. Holding the spider up in front of her face and cooing. "What a good girl. Aren't you pretty? You a sweety." She holds her hand out towards me. I hold my hand up in front of the spider. Pard gives it another gentle prod on the rump. "Off you go." It delicately crawls onto my hand and parks.

Hand held in front of me I stroll on off to a shrubbed wild area and select a new home for the lovely lady, all the while thinking, "Did I really see that? Is there any way I can package my jungle born and raised nature girl and rent her out to someplace like Senkenberg?"
Good grief your posts are some of the most lurid and fascinating lengths of text I have ever had the honour to read

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I was gonna read this, but i’ll wait for the movie.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I was gonna read this, but i’ll Wait for the movie.
Me too. One of these days I'm going to be brain fart free and have a camera handy when she does her communion with spiders thing. (Wouldn't want a video with voice. Her critter baby talk makes my toes curls under and triggers my gag reflex.) One of her favorite moves to protect spiders from the cats is to put them on her (or my) head. Hair sort of transfixes them.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Me too. One of these days I'm going to be brain fart free and have a camera handy when she does her communion with spiders thing. (Wouldn't want a video with voice. Her critter baby talk makes my toes curls under and triggers my gag reflex.) One of her favorite moves to protect spiders from the cats is to put them on her (or my) head. Hair sort of transfixes them.
I mean this in all sincerity, you write very well. You don’t find that too much in this day, and it is refreshing to actually enjoy reading something for the sake of it being well written. Plus, it’s a very cool anecdote. Keep up the good work.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
I for one absolutely enjoy and appreciate these little anecdotes ^.~