1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews & reports. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
    Dismiss Notice

The Tarantula - W.J.Baerg

Discussion in 'Book and Magazine Reviews' started by Crotalus, May 31, 2003.

1. Crotalus

Crotalus Arachnoking Old Timer

Advertisement
    The Tarantula - W.J.Baerg (ISBN 09524083 09)
    This is a classic book first published in 1958. The scientfic names have changed a bit but this is still a very intressting and informative book on theraphosids. He describes how he test the tarantula venom on himself...
    A must have in my opinion.

2. moricollins

moricollins Arachnoprince Old Timer

I found this to be an extremely well written informative (if a bit dated) book.

Everyone should get a copy.

3. bluefrogtat2

bluefrogtat2 Arachnoangel Old Timer

very fun book.
    easy (yet outdated )read,very entertaining
    andy

4. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

Although the scientific names of the tarantulas this book is written about are outdated, the subject matter and information within is still very much relevant. This is the only comprehensive observational account of a group of tarantulas living in their natural habitat (Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA). This is an absolute treasure of a book and everyone with an interest in tarantulas should seek out the original copy or head over to the British Tarantula Society website and order a reissued copy from Fitzgerald Publishing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. archaeosite

archaeosite Arachnosquire

I hope it's okay to revive this thread for a book review. I found this book recommended on Stan Schultz's website, and I borrowed a copy from the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Library in San Jose, CA. If you live in California, you can request a copy of this book through LINK+ or interlibrary loan for free or for a very small fee. :)

Dr. Baerg's book is an utterly charming scientific account of the lives of tarantulas. Modern hobbyists will find this book to be a good source of accurate data on tarantulas from the American South, and will chuckle over Baerg's anecdotes. A proto-hobbyist academic whose whole family helped with his research, he treated his tarantulas as beloved pets, and relates a particularly amusing anecdote about a Mexican friend who took his pet tarantula on honeymoon with his wife. We can relate. While the scientific names may be outdated, Baerg's work goes over methodology, data collection, and experimentation, spanning multiple decades in clear prose. Taking only several hours to read, this will enrich your understanding of tarantulas and remind you that sound science need not be entirely dry of wit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Enn49

Enn49 Arachnosquire

With so many recommendations I have just ordered a second-hand copy so I look forward to reading it.