The Tarantula Keeper’s Guide (question)

Benny8legs

Arachnopeon
A couple weeks ago I read on here that The Tarantula Keeper’s Guide was a great overall reading resource regarding keeping T’s. I remember there being multiple editions and there’s a recommended one to get, but I can’t find the post I had read.

Could y’all point me in the right direction? I’d love to just read about different species in general and tarantulas as a whole.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
While it is a decent source of information, it is outdated. The best place to find information is right here on the forum. Last I heard is that Stan Schultz (author) is writing one more edition that reflects the changes.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
While it is a decent source of information, it is outdated. The best place to find information is right here on the forum. Last I heard is that Stan Schultz (author) is writing one more edition that reflects the changes.
very cool , wish I had patience for a degree in whatever Stan did to go out and study Ts . But too much stress for me.
Yeah wait til new edition you can read , old one but lot of it outdated so check on here for better info. Some people used 100% vermiculite in old days.
I’m tryin to fix any bad cages I have , until I can afford more Ts.

Last edited:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
It is a good general resource but there are some issues. For example restricting ventalation to increase humidity, or overreacting to mites. i would recomend the book if you want some reading, but as with basically everything, its aleays a good idea to get a second or third opinion before taking something as fact. And this here forum would probably be the best place for fact checking.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
It's cheap and has lots of interesting info. The most recent is simply called the revised edition tmk.

Cons:

myth of swamp dwellers. As in species that need a stupid amount of humidity.

Mites will not kill your tarantula. A massive population will just bother it. Parasitic mites are rare but also not really a issue.

Some other small things.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
...not to mention the emphasis on the ICU, that unfortunately still obviously pervades the hobby.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Could you clarify a bit! Sorry
The presentation in that work concerning the ICU makes it look like it should generally be used for an ailing tarantula. Actually, time and experience have proven that the opposite is true, the ICU should rarely, if ever be used.

Additionally, please don’t be sorry, that’s why we’re here, to learn. It’s a good question.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I believe the edition you want is the latest, which is the 3rd edition. Good for general background, come here for specifics in some cases.