1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The study of Tarantulas?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by ArkanoviTigrovi, Apr 1, 2012.

1. ArkanoviTigrovi

ArkanoviTigrovi Arachnosquire

Miami
    Advertisement
    I was just wondering what someone who study's tarantulas would be called? I did a quick internet search and did find much. For some reason it seems like the study of T's does not fall under Arachnology. Could it possibly be Entomology?

2. peterUK

peterUK Arachnoknight Old Timer

Arachnology is the scientific study of spiders and related animals such as scorpions, collectively called arachnids

Entomology is the scientific study of insects.

I struggling to find a reason why someone who studies Tarantulas isnt called an Arachnologist.

Are you sure you got this right ?

3. Zoltan

Zoltan Cult Leader

PeterUK is right, arachnologists study tarantulas (theraphosids) as well as other spiders and other arachnid groups.

4. paassatt

paassatt Arachnoangel

Seems like a pretty cut and dried answer to me. Tarantulas are arachnids, and arachnologists study arachnids, therefore arachnologists study tarantulas.

5. SamuraiSid

SamuraiSid Arachnodemon

BC
    I saw a small vidoe of some lady on TEd Talks who has spent her life studying orb weavers, and more specifically their silk. She called herself a scientist;):p

6. Chris_Skeleton

Chris_Skeleton Arachnoprince

7. ArkanoviTigrovi

ArkanoviTigrovi Arachnosquire

Miami
    Ok thanks. The reason I had my doubts was when I went onto the official American Arachnological Society's homepage I didn't see anything about tarantulas. Only true spiders and other Arachnids.

8. Amoeba

Amoeba Arachnolord

Man the knowledge base in this forum has really gone down hill.....the correct terminology is Theraphosidaeologist

• Like Like x 1