The Scorp-O-Matic Choose Your Scorpion Wizard!

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I see this question asked a LOT around here, and on SF as well -- just looking here today there's three threads on the first page asking what scorpion someone should get.

So, in an effort to help people decide, I made this "choose your scorp" wizard. Input and suggestions are welcome. Bjaeger is working on doing an interactive flash version of it.

Input and suggestions are appreciated. :)

---1---
If you want a beginner scorpion - go to step 2
If you want an intermediate to advanced scorpion - go to step 9

---2---
If you want a scorpion from a humid environment - go to step 3
If you want a scorpion from a dry environment - go to step 7

---3---
If you want a communal species - go to step 4
If you want a non-communal species - we suggest Pandinus cavimanus

---4---
If you want a big and tropical scorpion - go to step 5
If you want a small and temperate scorpion - go to step 6

---5---
If you want Pandinus imperator* - we suggest Pandinus imperator*
If you want anything else - we suggest most Heterometrus spp.*

---6---
If you want a bark scorpion - we suggest Centruroides hentzi
If you want a forest scorpion - we suggest Uroctonus mordax*

---7---
If you want a communal species - we suggest Centruroides vittatus
If you want a non-communal species - go to step 8

---8---
If you want a large species - we suggest Hadrurus arizonensis or Hadogenes spp.
If you want a small species - we suggest Vaejovis / Hoffimanus spp., Diplocentrus spp., Paruroctonus boreus, or Smeringurus spp.

---9---
If you want a scorpion from a humid environment - go to step 10
If you want a scorpion from a dry environment - go to step 11

---10---
If you want a communal species - we suggest B. jacksoni, Centruroides gracillis, or Tityus spp.
If you want a non-communal species - we have no suggestion at this time for an advanced, humid, non-communal species

---11---
If you want a communal species - we suggest Centruroides sculpturatus or Hottentotta spp.
If you want a non-communal species - we suggest Leiurus quinquestriatus or Androctonus spp.

* Requires very high humidity -- all others in "humid" categories require significantly more humidity than desert species, but not a "jungle" level of humidity

Note: most of the species here listed as "non-communal" have been kept communally by someone at some point with success -- however, they tend to be more prone to cannibalism in most peoples' experience and keeping them together is not recommended for the average hobbyist.

This list reflects only the more commonly available species and is here to help someone out who can't decide what to get.

Demon187

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WOW, good idea and well done, you are right that is a very common question, and if something like that was at the top as a sticky thread then it would be very helpfull.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lol

Very cool...you should expand it ...like if you want a tarantula, scorpion, centipede go to step ...

I know that would take forever to make :)

kbekker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
very cool. The interactive would be worth while too, a little "flashier" for the visual learner. Maybe you could include links to care sheets in the key.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm glad everyone likes! :D I'll be sure to post the flash version here if / when it gets done.

Mr. Mordax said:
---5---
If you want Pandinus imperator* - we suggest Pandinus imperator*
:?
Lol, yeah, that was 'cause I see so many people say "I want something big and tropical and communal but I don't want an emp" so I threw that option in there for people who did want an emp. :razz:

cmart822331

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:clap: bravo!! great job! this will be helpful to alot of people! are you also going to put it on sf?

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
---3---
If you want a communal species - go to step 4
If you want a non-communal species - we suggest Pandinus cavimanus...
......Note: most of the species here listed as "non-communal" have been kept communally by someone at some point with success -- however, they tend to be more prone to cannibalism in most peoples' experience and keeping them together is not recommended for the average hobbyist....
This thing rocks. But I thought Pandinus cavimanus was pretty much completely communal...Am I mistaken?

Last edited:

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nicely done. I agree, you should take this thing a step further and complete it. It would take alot of time but would be extremely useful.

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
this is amazing!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

the part that gets me is YOU ARE THE FIRST ONE TO DO THIS! (if someone else has sry:eek: ) way to go can't wait to see it if you upgrade to flash that way people could see them as well.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
are you also going to put it on sf?
I was running it by the other staff to get their input, but only Eddy replied. I was going to wait for the flash version to post it but I might just post it as is.

This thing rocks. But I thought Pandinus cavimanus was pretty much completely communal...Am I mistaken?
Some people have kept it communally, but my observations of other hobbyists have shown it to have much greater cannibalistic tendencies than P. imperator.

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh my. The idea has already gone public :p

I still need to find a tutorial or ask around how to do this in flash. I have limited experience, but some is better than nothing. I still remember getting in trouble in school with my stick figure Flash animations in my multimedia class ;P

Hopefully I can accomplish this!! :D

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
does advanced to intermediate have to do with the potency of the venom only, or are you taking into consideration the delicateness of a scorpion, or the amount/difficulty of care?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mostly the venom. I don't have a lot of knowledge of "delicate" species.

This guide could quite easily be expanded with the input of more hobbyists.

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Excellent Job!!! Very well done. Now when a newbie posts, you can throw this at him (don't get me wrong, I am not against newbies in any way). As far as the "intermediate, advanced thing", I would also add the toxicity rating for the species as some people don't much care for that. Just my 2 cents.

David

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mostly the venom. I don't have a lot of knowledge of "delicate" species.

This guide could quite easily be expanded with the input of more hobbyists.
oh there are plenty of species that are very fragile to even the slightest tweak in habitat(ex:Tityus paerensis). there are some species that have never been successfully kept in the hobby(ex: Apistobuthus pterygocercus), there are several that require more complex conditions to prosper(ex Orthochirus sp), some that are easily susceptible to disease (ex:Smeringus mesanensis), etc. i definitely think that if an expanded version of this guide were to come around these would definitely be factors to consider.

John

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Noted. John would you care to give us some input on delicacy? If anyone has anything they want to add to this email us at Scorpion.Admin.Team@gmail.com
That's a shared account between myself, Mr.Mordax, and Kejser.(the a-team ;) )

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm aware of your successes in keeping those communally, Brian, but I've also heard enough cannibalism to suggest keeping them individually. Did you see my footnote?

But this isn't a final draft, either. :)