The LIKE button and it's friends

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Preface
Disclaimer and warning before hand. Some people might reach the conclusion this person is royally pissed off. That is only because this person is royally pissed off. A combination of 'I like that' clicks, the handlebars breaking on my bike (what is with the cheap crap junk these days? You can't even send your bike off a cliff a few times without something breaking on it!!!) and, yesterday evening, my wife informing me as we drove along that someone young and attractive just flashed her boobs at me. (I can't refute it or deny knowing who she was because I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING! I've handled facing a bank robber packing a sawed off shotgun pretty well but offering to wifeypoo to go back and check her out... err, see who she was is for people packing sterner stuff than I've got.)
Anyways, if some of you get the impression the following seems to be dripping with sarcasm and getting the floor sticky, you're right.

YO! Admins! Yes, there are some valid suggestions forthcoming. Like discovering sand in the vaseline, just grin a hang in there.

Like. LIKE. I like that!
The Like button comes in three basic flavors.
A. Hyuck hyuck. I likes dat!
B. ... must click like...
C. Hmm. I'm amused, or I agree, or I recognized a phrase by Solzhenitsyn, or or or or or​

Start with A. Hey hillbilly. There's an excellent chance there are several dozen things that bless your hump and just as good a chance that I DON"T WANT TO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE! But for whatever reason you mashed the like button, I don't care! As in this means what to me? In fact, I'm just a little nervous I'm doing something you like!

Then B. Everybody line up behind Shaun and on the count of 3, baaaa! Wowie zowie and whoopeedoo! I, along with about 100,000,000 others on any given day just got an utterly meaningless accolade. See Farcebook for full details.
Your like is about as valid and thought out as the query-statement 'I hope you have a back up plan if we get caught'. Are you that freaking stupid? Everyone has the same plan from their genes! I run like hell and you stand there like a rabbit in the headlights.
Along the same lines of 'fire when ready'. FWR. Bro, a clue. I've played with a couple of howitzers. There are two, only two, exactly two selections here. That and fire when not ready. The second selection results in a resounding click, a king hell blast of flame that goes nowhere and does nothing because you forgot to put the warhead in or zilch because you can't reach the lanyard while looking down the barrel.

And C. Feeling like your style is a little cramped and crimped? Only because it is. With the entire literary world laid at your feet you get crammed in the same box with the hillbilly and the ruminant.

Alrighty. Now the folks who run AB are a reasonably far distance from the primordial soup evolution wise as compared to A and B above and they gave us a selection of clicks:
LikeDislikeAgreeDisagreeInformativeFunnyHelpfulLoveOptimisticUsefulCreativeAwardLollipopWinnerMehCoffee and cake.
and cake. Cake. o_OHuh?o_O Cake.
Public Service Announcement. There is no combination of words possible in the English language, or all of it's root languages combined, sufficient to subject the click -cake- to the proper degree of sarcasm it justly merits and deserves. Visualize in your mind that group of Farcebook fanatics that achieve erotic stimulation upon being given a cake click. Do you really want to live on the same planet with that crowd? Be in the same galaxy?

Now, on to the suggestions. Sighs of relief may be heard from the AB admins at this point.

I know this is a radical departure from modern day social media interaction among anthropoda, but consider a few meaningful useful clicks. A partial list in which I hope to convey what would truly be useful clickomments. Please feel free to contribute.

C. Please Clarify. (On AB that translates as 'you sound the The Snark. Can you make some sense there?)
G Greater details would be welcome.
W Well thought out.
E Excellent all around. Well worded and written stating your point concisely, precisely and simplistically.
R Reference. Content is of such high quality and validity it merits being flagged or book marked for future reference.
? Could you please rephrase your post using a language known on Earth?

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Well, I must speak Snark, because I just had to "C" to Scott by providing "G". I absolutely thought your above post was "W" and "E" and I am definitely going to "R" it for future consideration. I would ask you to "?", but as I already mentioned, I speak Snark. ;)

Loved it and thanks, as always! :D

Debby

The Snark

Old Timer
Additional 'Like' click alternatives.

PCR With this new board's ability to make partial quotes, a Please Cite References and a posting below quoting what you would like citations of with nothing else required. Very handy for doing research.

WTF or something along that line. A big red blob perhaps. Saying, 'Upon reading your posting I was initially left with the impression you should get your name on the Darwin list. You should have been drowned at birth and your parents sterilized. However, it may be possible you wrote it poorly or unclearly or I took it in the wrong way and should reread it after a few hours. Could you please reread your posting and consider how it could have been misunderstood or misconstrued?

B Blather. I'm realize you are only typing but you are still wasting oxygen and bandwidth.

S Use the board search function. Your posting is a reiteration of a well documented subject.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I wish we had a 'sad' button. When someone posts they lost their T or something; I don't like it, or agree, disagree and I don't wanna give 'em a lollipop or an award or something.
Maybe an emoticon frownie with a tear in its eye? I dunno. Seen a few sad posts I wanted to acknowledge but perhaps not fill up a whole thread with "I'm sorrys" or the like.

Possible????

Radium

Outlaw Valkyrie
Don't forget "Backing slowly out of this thread because here comes the horde of oldbies to tear you from limb to limb for your novice husbandry mistake." Or maybe that's what the popcorn one is for.

The Snark

Old Timer
Don't forget "Backing slowly out of this thread because here comes the horde of oldbies to tear you from limb to limb for your novice husbandry mistake." Or maybe that's what the popcorn one is for.
That is what the ermm, hmm. The button seems to be missing here. However, in the emergency talk around radio frequencies the acronym KMA covers it. The usual response to calling someone a HUA.

The correct use of HUA is reserved for the idiot doing 90 in a 35 zone at night in the rain, IE 'Dispatch, we've got an HUA in a Toyota ten feet up a tree."

Last edited: