The least desireable species...

senor ocho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In response to the query of which is the least desirable species, isn't that kinda like asking which child you wanna kick out of the car at a high rate of speed? ;P
I like em all. Every one possesses worthwhile traits, though some do possess more than others, if I may paraphrase Orwell. Still, I gotta say I wouldn't dump any of them.
-chris
www.krazy8sinvertebrates.com

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I want to add another one. I am finding my H. maculata to be increasingly boring. They are beautiful when I see them, but a little nerve racking for cage maintenance. One of them is always visible, and one always hides.
They just don't do much for me. It wasn't a spider that was ever on my wish list, and now I've ended up with two of em!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Hate is a very strong word, and I can't imagine hating any species....
Too much energy involved in that :)
However, there are some non desirable species for me. I have no clue why people are attracted to them, but that's just me:

T blondi
H lividum
H gigas

Probably more, but I'm too tired to think of them right now.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
There has been lots of talk about spiecies folks want to have/own. But what species would you NOT want to have just because they have some attribute you don't like? (Just name the bottom one, to make it simpler. Because obviously one can't have EVEYR T on the planet and will thus have to prioritize when buying T's)

Iv'e heard of people selling their blondi's because they got sprayed far too often and had a very hard time with it. That would be one kind of an example of a motivation.

My own is this (and it might come as a little shock to you folks, and I can understnad it):
At this point in time I'd NOT want to have a Nhandu chromatus. It just looks too spooky! I find it extremely ugly in one way, extremely intreaguing and fascinating in another though! That bright carpace is just freaking me out and I don't know why! For some reason I feel an internal shiver when I look at that T. But sure as "down below" I'll have to have one in time :D ... again: "in time!" For now though the freaky factor has me completely in it's grip. ;)
I would say Brachypelma smithi, cause i think they are boring. I am not a big fan of the genus Brachypelma. The one i like best in the genus is B albopilosa. CHEERS!!!///Johan

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
rosie's i am not attracted to at all... boring, dull color.... yet for some reason, i bought one 3 days ago...hm, amusing.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I don't know if I hate any, but there are some I I really dislike

OBTS
H,lividum
P.cancerides

Prolly a few more but can;t think of them now

grockl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
all of them

I realy hate those obnoxious opinionated T's. I mean when they start making biased statements that have no grounding in reality, god. Those realy dull T's are boorish to I mean they should get a new wardrobe and get with the times, like bright and fuzzy is the only way to go. ;P
You are all cracked, there is a T for everyone why ixnay any species.
cheers Gary

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You know, I haven't yet found one that I wouldn't have. Maybe that's because I'm still new to the hobby, haven't been bitten yet and thus far know no fear. {D

Czalz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
even though it's not a very rational belief, I think a lot of folks perceive having G. rosea as indicating some sort of non-advancedness.
I think that's probably the best way i've heard it put yet. The more available something becomes, the less status it holds. (why do people buy infiniti instead if nissan? lexus instead of toyota? it's all about status, and the G.rosea is like the lesser of two choices because of it's status. How many people would you say "I drive a nissan" to, and how much more eager would you be to say " I drive an Infiniti". It's the same thing with t's, I (ashamedly) have almost not named my G. roseas in my collection list because they seem so beginner, and lack status. I really do like them though, it's just sad that they seemingly drag on the bottom of our lists because they're cheap, and available.

Last edited:

joe8421

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
G.rosea!!! a spp of nothing special :(
of cours ,i hate to get any dead spp Ts

Last edited:

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm just amazed at the G.rosea issue (non-issue). I can't believe how many people show no interest in this species!!!! This species is without doubt one of the most spectacular of all spiders, not just the theraphosids. Anyone who would disagree, well, ya know ;)

I guess it isn't how the spider really looks but how common or cheap it is. One day, when Chile eventually puts real bans on wild collection, just watch this species skyrocket to everyone's most wanted list. They are damn hard to breed and very slow growers, gods I'd love to see this species banned for export from Chile.....honestly, they seem so unnappreciated that I don't think many keepers deserve to have them in their collections. If you really feel this way, then don't pay 10.00 for them as wild caught adults!!! At least then you'd be doing something toward conserving a species you don't really appreciate and according to general comment, don't really want anyway.

I'd give my left nut for one over any Brachypelma or most other NW theraphosid, anyday. That's the truth.

That's gotta be 2 cents by now ;)

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I have to agree with you there Steve. I'd have to say that roseas must be some of the most nutty and mad T's out there, but I guess this realization is hard to come to if you happen to have one of the pet rock roseas. But many other roseas seem to make up for it by doing stuff that's so intelligent that we humans can't understand what they're up to :D

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have yet to find a T that i dont desire !!! But i do favour the African Thera's !! :clap:

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
i'd say anything i couldn't see, dwarf species, and i honestly don't see what all the hype about c crawshayi is all about.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WHy so many people dissing on G. Rosea? I have one, and quite a few others, and i can definately say the G. Rosea is one of my favorites. She has a very intriguing personality, very subtle yet active and can be entertaining to watch. For example, mine seems to love playing "cat and mouse" with crickets, and when she catches one she does this weird little dance. She also is the only T that i own that when i open her cage she actually comes out of her hide to see whats going on, and doesnt mind when i just move in and pick her up. The only T that i know i would NEVER buy again is my A. Seemani, its such a boring spider and has a nasty attitude, more so than some old world species i have been around, she also is fairly ugly looking, and doesnt ever hardly come out of her burrow... quit simply, an ugly, nasty, boring spider all around. The only excitement i get out of her is cleaning her water dish occasionally she will bust out of her hide and give me a nice threat display ...other than that... she was a waste of money ;). THank god they are cheap!

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not real fond of Poecilotheria striata, they are creepy too me for some reason. I also don't like Ceratogyrus, they're just plain ugly.
Ephebopus cyanognathus are super creepy to me but I'd still like to have one someday.
I used to hate A.seemani until I saw one in person at a pet store, needless to saw it came home with me. Its pretty cool but jumpy.