The least desireable species...

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
G. rosea

Soul said:
seems like G rosea is not a particularly poular spp... i cant undastand this as my first t was a G rosea...
The G. rosea's "unpopular" status has a number of roots. One, of course, is that it is a brown spider, but I think people are dishonest if they say that's the only or even main reason they don't want one.

I think the fact that they're "not special" plays into their unpopularity. While the odds are slim and none that you'd encounter their cousin the G. aureostriata in anything other than a petstore with an extensive exotic section, people who don't even know what the word "arachnid" means have G. rosea. As such, even though it's not a very rational belief, I think a lot of folks perceive having G. rosea as indicating some sort of non-advancedness.

Another reason why some may harbor feelings of dislike or disinterest for them is that they represent the worst side of the arachnid pet trade. They are a species for which there is very little field biology known, yet they are collected from the wild in such numbers that it's economically wasteful to breed them in captivity. Although it's a case of "shooting the messenger", viewing this species as desirable could be construed as contributing to irresponsible practices in the arachnid pet trade. I think that most of us believe that wild collection of spiders should exist to expand the genetic variety for captive breeding, not be so extensive that it supplants it altogether.

Also, and this reason probably does not extend any further than my own personal quirk, but I harbor some resentment towards the species because it was what replaced the B. smithi as the main pet trade spider you found in pet stores when I was younger. There was a wasteland of availability of interesting tarantulas between the advent of CITES and when captive breeding began to become significant in the 90s, G. rosea is, for better or worse, emblematic of that period to me.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Well I'm happy that my rosea is a freak-bastard-threatposing-little-b...b.. erm.. brat! :D I might send him out on a 50/50 adventure and most likely not see him again after that... and maybe no offspring either for that matter.

Well, whatever end he's gonna get, I'm not quite sure I'm gonna replace him with another rosea. I am on the virge of having more T's than room (when all are grown up) so I might want to skip rosea for a while after this.

But the one I have now? I like him! :)

Kittycat784

Arachnopeon
I myself am quite fond of my Rosies (I have two) and I just love the death out of my Brachypelma A. That little spider is really beautiful in my opinion. She also is my only sweetheart and will let me pick her up, my rosies are constant excevators and move thier substrate all over. wow! what an ineresting lot. Though I must say the two spiders I like the least are any Hapolopelma Sp, I just recently lost my Minax and there was no crying It never came out of its burrow, boring! and Ptnerchlusis (I know I spelled that WRONG) I have one that I got real cheap a Lugardi for $10 also very boring hides in its home most of the time don't even get to see it eat! I just really like big spiders!

rgfx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think any round, overweight Ts with golfball abdomens look wrong, but then i prefer arboreals. T blondis have to be the ugliest of all, especially when they've gone all scabby. Mind you, I think huge Ts are kinda vulgar.

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It really is difficult to say any theraposids are undesirable. I would have to say just for the reactions I get from the hairs Theraphosa and Phampobetus species spiders are a bit "iffy" that note aside, I've got a few spiders from both genus and enjoy them all hair aside.

Vys said:
I will never get a Stromatopelma, I think. Aggressive, more-venomous-than-average, and looking like a skin-disease..likely reclusive as hell also :p
Really? besides the aggression issues Stromatopelma is one of the most attractive spiders out there. Take a look at Spiderman2's big female. I'll let you know how mine looks once I actually get to see it. Judging by the molts it's atleast 3 inches at this point though. It's also yet to run ape up my arm and face and bite me in the process ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

BugToxin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
At this point in time I'd NOT want to have a Nhandu chromatus. It just looks too spooky! I find it extremely ugly in one way, extremely intreaguing and fascinating in another though! That bright carpace is just freaking me out and I don't know why! For some reason I feel an internal shiver when I look at that T. But sure as "down below" I'll have to have one in time :D ... again: "in time!" For now though the freaky factor has me completely in it's grip. ;)
After reading this when you posted it a few days ago, I now find myself doing searches to check out peoples pics of this species. I'm so glad you brought this to my attention, because now I REALLY, REALLY must have one!!! :drool:

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would post a pic of my N. chromatus but it is almost microscopic lol . I just bought it last friday at 1/4 inch but I can say they have black background color with white stripes and a big red < bum - edited by CM > lol.

Sry for the "A" word CM it wont happen again. I used to work construction and am a machinist so that language unexplainably comes naturally. I will learn to bite my tongue oops fingers in here as I dont wish to upset anyone.

Thanks for the quick fix CM

Trevor

Last edited by a moderator:

arachnoguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i don't think there is really any tarantula that i so strongly dislike that i would never own one or not want it in my collection. i think my least favorite are Haplopelma minax due to the fact that they are the devil with eight legs (i have had a bad run in with one of these that is why i really dislike them)

stubby8th

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Huh??

LEVIS said:
I absolutely hate Brachypelma albopilosum... What a repulsive and utterly hideous tarantula that is... It really sucks on all levels.

They are such rubbish... "Curlyhair's" (what a delightful name) makes the Ewoks (and maybe even JarJar Binks) look like <edit> Shaft.
Ok, I've got to ask . . .
Why not tell us all why you find B.albopilosum 'repulsive and utterly hideous'? Are you joking? I guess I didn't understand the references to JarJar Binks and Shaft either (?)

LEVIS

Arachnopeon
stubby8th said:
Ok, I've got to ask . . .
Why not tell us all why you find B.albopilosum 'repulsive and utterly hideous'? Are you joking? I guess I didn't understand the references to JarJar Binks and Shaft either (?)
I have to admit that I really don’t see the point in me sitting here, having to justify the fact that I dislike this species, to you… You have your opinions – I have mine.

But anyways – I haven’t got anything else to do right now, so here goes:

I don’t like their coloration, they are boring and ugly.
I don’t like their extreme amount of curly hair… Disgusting and ugly as hell.
I don’t like the large amount of very small slings you get out of breeding this species.
I think they are extremely boring.
I find them visually boring AND their behavior is boring as well (at least for a Tarantula).
Tarantulas don’t get any more anti-bad-ass than this.
They are equipped with urticating hairs and they’re not afraid of using them – frequently…
I’m allergic to urticating hairs but even before I got allergic, I hated urticating hairs.

It’s con after con… There’s absolutely nothing appealing to me about this species – on the contrary there are a lot of things I hate about it (obviously).

A friend of mine gave me an adult female and a bunch of slings some years ago.
Later on I got a male for the female… Woop-Dee-Doo! now I had a ton of itsy bitsy spiders – hooray for cannibalism! Not very cool. There’s no way in hell I’ll ever get one of these again – without a doubt the least desireable species.

As I stated earlier on in this post, to my mind, tarantulas don’t get any more anti-bad-ass than this. And Hey! - that’s the reason why this species (in my mind) makes the Ewoks (and maybe even JarJar Binks) look like *beeping* Shaft.
(Shaft being close to the ultimate bad-ass, mind you)

Oh and by the way: No – I am not by any means joking… I hate Brachypelma albopilosum!

Last edited:

stubby8th

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LEVIS said:
I have to admit that I really don’t see the point in me sitting here, having to justify the fact that I dislike this species, to you… You have your opinions – I have mine.

But anyways – I haven’t got anything else to do right now, so here goes:

I don’t like their coloration, they are boring and ugly.
I don’t like their extreme amount of curly hair… Disgusting and ugly as hell.
I don’t like the large amount of very small slings you get out of breeding this species.
I think they are extremely boring.
I find them visually boring AND their behavior is boring as well (at least for a Tarantula).
Tarantulas don’t get any more anti-bad-ass than this.
They are equipped with urticating hairs and they’re not afraid of using them – frequently…
I’m allergic to urticating hairs but even before I got allergic, I hated urticating hairs.

It’s con after con… There’s absolutely nothing appealing to me about this species – on the contrary there are a lot of things I hate about it (obviously).

A friend of mine gave me an adult female and a bunch of slings some years ago.
Later on I got a male for the female… Woop-Dee-Doo! now I had a ton of itsy bitsy spiders – hooray for cannibalism! Not very cool. There’s no way in hell I’ll ever get one of these again – without a doubt the least desireable species.

As I stated earlier on in this post, to my mind, tarantulas don’t get any more anti-bad-ass than this. And Hey! - that’s the reason why this species (in my mind) makes the Ewoks (and maybe even JarJar Binks) look like *beeping* Shaft.
(Shaft being close to the ultimate bad-ass, mind you)

Oh and by the way: No – I am not by any means joking… I hate Brachypelma albopilosum!
W-O-W! Issues ???

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wooow, dude, I love albopilosum! That is weird, I find them unique and beautiful.

LEVIS

Arachnopeon
Cooper said:
Wooow, dude, I love albopilosum! That is weird, I find them unique and beautiful.
And I totally respect that - I just hate them :D