1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The least desireable species...

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Cirith Ungol, Jul 17, 2005.

1. MrDave

MrDave Arachnosquire

Ontario
    Advertisement
    The sexing forum is about to become a lot more interesting...

2. Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot Arachnopeon

I find myself avoiding the smaller species, like Cyriocosmus for example. For some reason, I get more enjoyment out of larger spiders. Some of the dwarf varieties are undeniably pretty, though.

3. El Consciente

El Consciente Arachnopeon

USA
    As beautiful as they are, I couldn't ever get an Avic.

Something about the high rate of at-random deaths of the younger ones combined with the stringent environmental requirements put me off...which is a shame. A. versicolor is among one of the most beautiful species IMO

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  4. BobGrill

BobGrill Arachnoprince

Florida
    Get an adult then.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Ignore care sheets and listen to the advice given here by experienced keepers and Avics aren't that tough at all to keep, even as slings....seriously, its not nearly as difficult as you believe. The problem is that many get them, and go read a bunch of "care-sheets" to prepare. Then they try to match what it says and end up with a dead t because the care sheet told them they must have humidity maintained at an exact, number specific level...they get hygrometers and pour in the water until their hygrometer reads the "proper" number they read....by then its often almost too late. Truth is that good cross ventilation is far more important to their survival than is humidity. I have yet to read a care sheet that stresses this ventilation issue and without this critical bit of info, they suffer and because the care sheets were followed, they see the death as a mystery, adding to the misconception that they are difficult to keep. Not difficult at all, they just don't tolerate poor conditions well.

• Like Like x 4
  6. El Consciente

El Consciente Arachnopeon

USA
    Well that's actually reassuring to hear - I've never had one, obviously...I hear of more deaths of Avics than nearly any other species so for someone who's never had experience with one you could understand the apprehension.

I've read recently that having a slightly lower but consistent humidity is better than a constantly fluctuating one in a fight to maintain a specific level...

7. awiec

awiec Arachnoprince

avics are little tanks when you have them in the right environment, I don't pay any more attention to them then my other spiders and they are just as confrontational and hungry as the big south american terrestrials.

8. Poec54

Poec54 Arachnoemperor Active Member

USA
    That's due in large part to bad advice, especially on 'care sheets' written by people with little hands-on experience. Stuffy, moist cages are the big Avic killers.

9. Abby79

Abby79 Arachnopeon

Any species over 4 inches, I love my Dwarfs and smaller T's. I used to be a "My T is bigger than your T snob" Then i grew up.
    And Male T's, I cant stand having a T mature out. to a beautiful male. the awesome changes they go through. in many cases new colouration much prettier than the female of the species, like buying a new T.
    For the silly sod to now have a limited lifespan and die! Grinds my gears!

10. awiec

awiec Arachnoprince

I have several species that I would kill for a male of, yeah their time is short but males have a huge impact for the hobby. I have a thrix whom I may not ever find a male for her and her species is becoming non existent in the wild.

11. Dave Marschang

Dave Marschang Arachnoknight

I gotta say I wouldn't take a Blondi or stirmi if they were free, just not interested in big. I need more room not less, other than that I don't like aggressive/flighty T's if I gotta worry about the damn thing flying out of the cage when I feed it, its no fun for me. feeding, cage maintenance are the fun parts since I do not hold my T's, so why add species that make it stressful?

My wife loves pokies, I think they are ugly, all the same and boring.
    I have never owned a curly hair but I really want one.

12. gobey

gobey Arachnoknight

If you lived close by I'd give you one!

Curly hairs are my favorite slings. :)

But I also like my Poecilotheria slings and H. mac slings lol

To be fair though I'd never see myself getting another pokie unless I dropped the cash on a metallica. Unless these regalis turn out to be the best Ts ever.

I gotta say getting into Baboons has been cool.

But in doing so I'll say it. OBTs are flashy because they're orange. And that plus the reputation catches your attention.

But they're overrated. I have one female. She's gorgeous. But she has markings that many other species also have. She just happens to be orange. She's also a big pile of dirt.

I had 2 slings too. They were absurdly frustrating to raise. You don't have to just be prepared for escape. You have to plan around it.

I find the Heteroscodra maculata markings against that ghostly white much more impressive.

Plus some of them have horns. :)

Which I've decided is cooler than being orange lol.

So OBT.... 1 is enough.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jigalojey

jigalojey Arachnoknight

I would kill someone to get my hands on a Stirmi.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gobey

gobey Arachnoknight

Lol!

There's lots for sale in classified!

I like tarantulas that like it dry. And those hairs. I'll find different bigger spiders.

I'm glad they have their enthusiasts though! They're animals to behold for sure!

15. jigalojey

jigalojey Arachnoknight

Yeah, probs one of the only overseas species I would keep if I was able to, Australia bans all overseas animals so I don't have a chance lol.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BobGrill

BobGrill Arachnoprince

Florida
    Thereposidae and most Australian tarantulas just don't interest me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. gobey

gobey Arachnoknight

Australian tarantulas make me apprehensive.

And I've never even met one.

18. BobGrill

BobGrill Arachnoprince

Florida
    They look pretty bland for the most part too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bscheidt1020

bscheidt1020 Arachnoknight

NY
    Psssssssshhhhhh. You look pretty bland Bob.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gobey

gobey Arachnoknight

I think they lool nicer than Therephosas do.

Australian Ts all look very velvety.

I hust hear they're the fastest and meanest.

And I have a couple of fast mean ones already.

So I don't need to meet the T that beats them.

Not for a long while.