The least desireable species...

Moebius

Arachnopeon
For me, it's the almost contradictory reasoning why I don't have interest in Theraphosa like T. stirmi etc; I have no problem with big plain brown spiders, appearance wise I actually like them, and the size impressive, it's anything but "big brown boring spider" issues some folks have.

Having dealt with their urticating setae in the past though, no, just no. I'm far more likely to be whammied by those than any bite even with precautions taken, one hair is enough to get a very substantial reaction from me. The idea of needing a specific long-sleeved shirt, elbow-length gloves, a particle mask and safety glasses (which may seem like hyperbole... it isn't for me) to own these isn't appealing at all, nor having them around asthmatics when you kick some fluff up unwittingly. Pamph hair has been nowhere near as bad for me, nor that of A. genics or various Nhandu comparatively (though GBB fluff gets up there with a differing reaction type). I'm not keen on owning something that makes me want to wear a HAZMAT suit during maintenance regardless of how cool they are.

Beyond that, it's basically anything with notable, muddied genetics from hybridization. If it's really, really dicey whether I've got the real deal or something badly ID'ed and crossed I tend to steer clear. Yes, there's a hell of a lot of species with dubious backgrounds in the hobby, but some definitely make me go "nope, I'm not forking out a big wad of money at all without some paperwork to verify where it came from and what it is".

Last edited:

Vulksgren

Arachnopeon
Brown... LP, T.ablo ect.
Although albo can be quite cute and fluffy
Have a T. Albo that's unusually defensive, which is strange for this particular T. Strangely she mellows out when she is wanting food. Very strange T, guessing it has to do with her coming from a bad place. Definitely my favorite in the collection though.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Brown tarantulas don't bother me tbh, I've gotten a few as freebies (C. huahini/P. muticus/H. gigas) and they've still been fun to keep.

Would never purchase

Any horned Ceratogyrus - The horns just don't do it for me.
Most Poecilotheria - I'll get lynched for this but apart from subfusca HL/subfusca LL/metallica/ornata/rufilata they all look the same to me.
Hapalopus sp. "Colombia" (either form) - I just don't find them appealing at all.
Neoholothele incei gold - They look so plain compared to the standard incei.

Previously owned and wouldn't get again

Lasiodora parahybana - Does everything A. geniculata does but doesn't look anywhere near as good and the hairs are 1,000,000x worse.
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens - The most boring heavy webber in existence, they look much better as slings than they do as juvies/adults and the only good thing about them is the feeding response.

Vulksgren

Arachnopeon
Brown tarantulas don't bother me tbh, I've gotten a few as freebies (C. huahini/P. muticus/H. gigas) and they've still been fun to keep.

Would never purchase

Any horned Ceratogyrus - The horns just don't do it for me.
Most Poecilotheria - I'll get lynched for this but apart from subfusca HL/subfusca LL/metallica/ornata/rufilata they all look the same to me.
Hapalopus sp. "Colombia" (either form) - I just don't find them appealing at all.
Neoholothele incei gold - They look so plain compared to the standard incei.

Previously owned and wouldn't get again

Lasiodora parahybana - Does everything A. geniculata does but doesn't look anywhere near as good and the hairs are 1,000,000x worse.
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens - The most boring heavy webber in existence, they look much better as slings than they do as juvies/adults and the only good thing about them is the feeding response.
Strange, I always heard good things about Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Least personally appealing tarantula: Bumba cabocla
Runners up: LPs and rose hairs

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
Least personally appealing tarantula: Bumba cabocla
I’m personally offended on behalf of my favorite girl. ;)

I stay away from the hairiest new worlds and the more advanced old worlds. Maybe someday if I have a separate room for spiders and more skillz I’d want some of these species.

I still don’t know about that wizard hat Ceratogyrus, but I’m keeping my mind open. :p

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Basically for me it's all pet holes. I know many like fossorials, but for me it's like looking at a hole in the substrate weeks on end and is just plain boring. Plus it's hard sometimes explaining to someone "yeah there's a tarantula in there I promise" lol.