1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The least desireable species...

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Cirith Ungol, Jul 17, 2005.

1. awiec

awiec Arachnoprince

Advertisement
    If you can prevent the spider from taking off in the first place I prefer that option. After I rehoused my p.regalis something in my mind told me she was going to bolt so as I was grabbing the lid she started running up the sides and by the time she got to the top the lid was secured. She tapped the lid a few times then went back to her hide, this all happened within a minute and I did not end up with a loose spider and she did not get hurt.

2. Absolutely prevention is best.
    My original concerns were the "what if" type and it was reassuring to know you don't have to catch a fast bolter, you can wait for it to calm and get still, and then recapture. Guess I figured I needed superhuman speed, hadn't considered the "wait" option. lol
    But avoiding escape in first place: best!

3. awiec

awiec Arachnoprince

I used to have my spiders in a very cluttered room so if a spider took off I was never going to find it so I would catch it as fast as I could BUT in most cases you will just want the spider to tire itself out.

4. Poec54

Poec54 Arachnoemperor Active Member

USA
    Prevention is always the preferred method. But that doesn't always work. For me it's best to catch them early in the process. There's too many shelves, cages, and supplies in my spider room to be moved for me to wait for them to stop.

5. Sana

Sana Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

You get really good at quickly and gently closing the enclosure when working with fast spiders that are prone to bolt. I sure did. Keeping a "hide" near where you're working also helps in the case of escape. With a little luck, the spider goes to the hide you placed and stops moving thinking that it's safe while the recapture is planned and executed.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Poec54

Poec54 Arachnoemperor Active Member

USA

+1. 'Gentle' is a big part of it doing it right. If you slam things shut and are rough in general, spiders will get injured and even killed. It's not worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tfisher

Tfisher Arachnoknight

Ny
    My least favorable sp. is Homo sapien. See I'm not racist I hate everyone equally. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. vespers

vespers Arachnodemon

That joke/answer was given in this thread already. It was more amusing the first time around. :mask:

9. Tfisher

Tfisher Arachnoknight

Ny
    Dang! I wasn't going threw 37 pages lol. To slow. :/

10. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

through, not threw...drastically different meanings;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. awiec

awiec Arachnoprince

I would have loved to see him try though, I'm guessing print off all the pages and throw them everywhere?

12. Most arboreal and New World Ts are the least desired in my collection.
    Im in love with Old World burrowing Ts like Hysterocrates, Chilobrachys, and Haplopelmas

13. MrDave

MrDave Arachnosquire

Ontario
    They require a pretty big enclosure too.

---------- Post added 03-02-2015 at 03:53 PM ----------

Hope I didn't make the same enclosure joke. Or anyone else.

14. vespers

vespers Arachnodemon

Not really. After the rope and duct tape, a car trunk will suffice.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BobGrill

BobGrill Arachnoprince

Florida
    Not really a fan of many terrestrial species. I like a few like Brachypelma, Ephebopus, and a few of the large South American terrestrials, and also a few OW burrowing species. However I think arboreals are way more interesting. Doesn't matter to me if they're OW or NW.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Same here on not liking terrestrials. I love Asian arboreals especially.

17. I only require a 8 x 12ft enclosure to keep me happy :)

While you're at it, find me a mate, too.

• Like Like x 2
  18. dementedlullaby

dementedlullaby Arachnoknight

Canada
    Honestly I don't have much interest in keeping Theraphosa species. It's not so much the size but the uricating hairs I don't want to deal with. I'm not so worried about my Brachypelma species kicking hairs. I generally just try to avoid annoying them anyway. But I've seen videos of stirmis and blondis kicking up hairs and just would prefer not to deal with that frakking "hair cloud". The MF B. vagans was bad enough when getting her out of the shipping box and in the new tank.

I hear LPs aren't quite as bad...I may try a LP but won't hesitate to resell if it's a hardcore hair kicker.

Arboreal, terrestrial, fossorial...I don't mind. I just don't want to be blinded by my tarantulas XD.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nearly spit coffee all over my screen!:laugh:

20. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

well.. if we have one of those fold down beds that come from the wall and wall mounted tv's we may be able to get away with a 7'x7' but this species will need a bit of excersise to run around in the back yard or on a leash XD

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015