The joys of slow Tarantula growth (Psst, its really slow mate)

TheShrubbery

Arachnosquire
I got my first T back in December 2016, and in those 10 months and a half, my lil "Ungoliant" has only moulted twice.

Is she/he a female? Can you tell from growth? Other than that, lets focus on the most important fact here guys:

SLOW GROWTH, PLEASE MORE I AM SO ENJOYING IT. CAN'T YOU TELL? I REALLY ENJOY WHEN IT TAKES YEARS FOR AN ANIMAL TO GROW AND BE ABLE TO IDENTIFY ITS SEX, PLEASE GROW EVEN SLOWER SO I DIE OF OLD AGE. I LOVE IT SO MUCH.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I agree there is nothing more rewarding than when you look back after a whole year and say wow my T grew almost a whole inch...:banghead:

In all honesty I am waiting for 2 of my T's to molt and it seems like they could pop at any second so im sure it'll take a few weeks lol.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It is Grammostola Pulchripes.
Is this something that is actually irksome to you or are you making a joke? Hard to tell over text.

The only way to 100% sex a Tarantula is with the molted Exuviae. Experienced keepers can usually tell by looking at the underside when it is on the Glass. But if it is a sling it will be a while before it is large enough to be able to do that.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I have a few G Pulchripes slings that are right around an inch now and it took awhile to get them there. All the better to have more reason to buy other T's while they are growing, lol.

TheShrubbery

Arachnosquire
Is this something that is actually irksome to you or are you making a joke? Hard to tell over text.

The only way to 100% sex a Tarantula is with the molted Exuviae. Experienced keepers can usually tell by looking at the underside when it is on the Glass. But if it is a sling it will be a while before it is large enough to be able to do that.
Fair enough mate, well the text that is in bold is a satire joke yes. Thank you for the information, my good Sire.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
G Pulchripes huh? sounds about right for the molting speed you've described.

SLOW GROWTH, PLEASE MORE I AM SO ENJOYING IT.
Get an Aphonopelma. They're tiny forever. You will age faster than it and it's fun. :angelic: Will it to your children after you pass and spread the love.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
This is why I prefer tropicals. Within a year you have a good sized spider. Two years and it's adult, or at least close.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I agree there is nothing more rewarding than when you look back after a whole year and say wow my T grew almost a whole inch...:banghead:

In all honesty I am waiting for 2 of my T's to molt and it seems like they could pop at any second so im sure it'll take a few weeks lol.
An inch in a year would be quite a lot! :p Well, I have quite a few small Aphonopelma slings and after a year they have not yet reached an inch but that’s okay — two of my A. marxi just molted at last and they’re getting darker and those urticating bristles even have an orange color! :astonished:

I honestly do very much enjoy them, but I am glad to have a variety, including some faster growing species such as Brachypelma and Euathlus! :happy: :rofl:

cold blood

Staff member
Man, keep it warm and feed it regularly. I raised half a sac of these pulchripes and it was impressive how across the board good feeders they all were...
I would frequently feed 80-150 at a time and get like 3 refusals, and 2 of those 3 would molt within the week. Mine were pretty much all 2" and theoretically sexable within that year....having that many I didn't care to sex them....lol

Molt rates till over 1" were in that 35-50 day range...not too bad I thought.

You want fast growth though, its out there, Tappies, Psalmos (especially cambridgei) and most tropical OWs can grow surprisingly fast...some NW terrestrials can be like this, too...like Pamphs, genics and Nhandu...I had 28 chromatus from @Poec54 and most molted every 24-28 days till well over 1"....

Some like the cams and Pamphs though, man they put on huge growth per molt, even when small...its incredible how long their legs get after molting....this cambridgei was just about 9 months old when this pic was taken and is a solid 4" in this pic

started looking like this...

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Molt rates till over 1" were in that 35-50 day range...not too bad I thought.
I got mine as an inch sling, she moulted a month later and then her subsequent moult cycles were 53, 72 and 153 days, she's between 2.5" and 3".

The last one was almost the same as my 3" female B. emilia's last one (152).

How long do the pampho's live for?
Not sure, possibly around 10-15 years.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
I honestly do very much enjoy them, but I am glad to have a variety, including some faster growing species such as Brachypelma and Euathlus! :happy: :rofl:
Euathlus grow faster than Aphonopelma? shoot, I've been avoiding getting 1/4" slings I see for sale cause I was scared of their slow growing reputation. If it's faster than my A. hentzi then raising one will be cakewalk.