The immune system of spiders...

AraneaePrincipio

Arachnopeon
Hello, I apologize in advance for my mistakes, I from Ukraine and badly know English.
I am interested in the immune system of spiders, do they have it, and also do they feel pain??? And the most important question of all, what diseases hurt the spiders? Sick they all?

Attachments

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Welcome! I hope google didn't butcher the translation :D, From what I understand spider's have an innate "immune" system, Plasmatocytes/Granulocytes are stated to have an phagocytic responsibility removing pathogens and tissue fragments from injury. Its said Granulocytes have a much greater role for which are believed to release antimicrobial peptides such as gomesin, Which are presumed to serve the same responsibility as the immunoglobulins in mammals, Though they don't have a lymphoid equivalent cells like humans. source: http://www.findaspider.org.au/info/spiderblood.htm.

Pain in inverts is highly debated, I don't believe that they feel pain like you or I with an emotional component attached or same levels of intensity but at the most basic level IMO yes its a primitive defense mechanism, An instinct to avoid a harming stimulus, to self preserve.

I know common aliments that harm T's are dehydration, Fungal infection(mycosis), parasitic mites, nematodes.

Last edited:

AraneaePrincipio

Arachnopeon
I common aliments that harm T's are dehydration, Fungal infection(mycosis), parasitic mites, nematodes.[/QUOTE]
I am very grateful for this info but can you give more details about the impact of a disease on the body of the spider. Or can you give a link to the article or study.
Welcome! I hope google didn't butcher the translation :D, From what I understand spider's have an innate "immune" system, Plasmatocytes/Granulocytes are stated to have an phagocytic responsibility removing pathogens and tissue fragments from injury. Its said Granulocytes have a much greater role for which are believed to release antimicrobial peptides such as gomesin, Which are presumed to serve the same responsibility as the immunoglobulins in mammals, Though they don't have a lymphoid equivalent cells like humans. source: http://www.findaspider.org.au/info/spiderblood.htm.

Pain in inverts is highly debated, I don't believe that they feel pain like you or I with an emotional component attached or same levels of intensity but at the most basic level IMO yes its a primitive defense mechanism, An instinct to avoid a harming stimulus, to self preserve.

I common aliments that harm T's are dehydration, Fungal infection(mycosis), parasitic mites, nematodes.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
@AraneaePrincipio I'm only aware of the set of symptoms T's develop when usually exposed to chemicals, pesticides, toxins etc. known as Dyskinetic Syndrome or "DKS" for short, They are distinguished by jerky motions, loss of limb coordination, and an inability to eat, And inevitably death.

Last edited:

AraneaePrincipio

Arachnopeon
@AraneaePrincipio I'm only aware of the set of symptoms T's develop when usually exposed to chemicals, pesticides, toxins etc. known as Dyskinetic Syndrome or "DKS" for short, They are distinguished by jerky motions, loss of limb coordination, and an inability to eat, And inevitably death.
thank you, will try to learn about it in more detail

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Hello, I apologize in advance for my mistakes, I from Ukraine and badly know English.
I am interested in the immune system of spiders, do they have it, and also do they feel pain??? And the most important question of all, what diseases hurt the spiders? Sick they all?
Hi. Welcome to arachnoboards. I was looking very carefully at your spider. I know I'm a newbie, but the eye placement on your spider in the picture is interesting. What is your spider called?

AraneaePrincipio

Arachnopeon
Hi. Welcome to arachnoboards. I was looking very carefully at your spider. I know I'm a newbie, but the eye placement on your spider in the picture is interesting. What is your spider called?
Unfortunately, it's not my spider, I'm interested in this question from a genetic point of view. But about this topic very little information. Even to find this site, took no little time we have in Ukraine, so few people enjoys.

AraneaePrincipio

Arachnopeon
I have a suspicion that it "Poecilotheria rajaei", but I'm not sure.

AraneaePrincipio

Arachnopeon
No, I'm sorryI made a mistake,andnowone hundred percentsureis theLycosatarantula.
"Lycosa tarantula is the species originally known as the tarantula, a name that nowadays commonly refers to spiders in another family entirely, Theraphosidae. It now may be better called the tarantula wolf spider, being in the wolf spider family, the Lycosidae. Lycosa tarantula is a large species found in southern Europe, especially in the Apulia region of Italy and near the city of Taranto, from which it gets its name."

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tarantula 1995,

Have you noticed dks from fungal infection?
Usually after a molt.
As if lungs are more sensitive post molt and fungal infection affecting cns?

AraneaePrincipio

Arachnopeon
Tarantula 1995,

Have you noticed dks from fungal infection?
Usually after a molt.
As if lungs are more sensitive post molt and fungal infection affecting cns?
she molting spider, like the birth of a baby, with many of the concomitant process hazards.