The Haas Family gives the SF Zoo’s special tarantula exhibit sooo many thumbs down!!!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The husband and I took my son the the SF Zoo’s special tarantula exhibits since, as I’m sure you can guess, he too is obsessed with our tarantulas (AKA “Spie”s - he’ll be two in January so he can’t talk that well lol).

I was horrified... (Just so you guysremember I tend to be over the top, but I don’t know - you tell me)...

I’m just going to post some pics of the exhibit and wait to hear what everyone else has to say.

You guys already know how @raggamuffin415 and I feel about it - if not, plz re-read the title.

raggamuffin415

Arachnosquire
Grrrrr
This is Mrshaas the op...
My phone died before the pics could load .....
Will repost pics in the next hour or two...

My bad guys...

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here are pics from the special tarantula exhibit

777AAFAD-FED8-4EBE-A8E0-8A5AA07714CA.jpeg
This was for a P. ornata- u cannot tell but the T is curled up in a stress posed under the “hide”

F886B2C8-D3C7-44EB-9780-064FCB32DB06.jpeg
Curly housed upon bark w a sponge in the water dish

0658737D-DEA2-49AD-8272-ED0D8ED4DF92.jpeg
Crap P. cam set up...

A53ACF0A-CDE0-449A-AD09-2E272270F0F7.jpeg
B. smithi housed on sand and bark chips w disgusting sponge in water dish...

I don’t even know what to say...

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They prefer to waste time to think about "cool terms" like 'fuzz matters' instead of giving a proper set up, but why I'm not surprised? :angelic:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It was so disheartening- but Mr. Haas did NOT let me file a grievance, which I was hoping to!!! :banghead:

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
a terrestrial tarantula in a horrible excuse for an aboreal set up... nice. they are obviously hiring anyone with very little knowledge to take care of this exhibit

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
and those sponges look disgusting! they probably have mold all over them.... and lights ontop of the enclosures too.. awsome

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The first image of what appears to be a NW Terrestrial in that 4 foot tall Enclosure made my heart implode into itself.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a really swift temper and he knows I wouldn’t have been too nice about it ...and we had our almost 2-yr-old w us - he didn’t want a show down basically lol

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My heart is pojectile vomiting for all those poor Ts

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Could you please post the contact information for them? I would do a google search myself, but I want to ensure that I have the correct facility. I will write them.
And people question why I despise zoos and this lame excuse that they provide 'education'.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I have a really swift temper and he knows I wouldn’t have been too nice about it ...and we had our almost 2-yr-old w us - he didn’t want a show down basically lol
That makes sense, actually. If there is any hope of getting institutions like this to change, it must be done respectfully, even kindly, and that is hard to do when one is understandably angry!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've seen one zoo with reasonable care for their arachnids. And that's the Cincinnati Zoo in Ohio. Beautiful bug section.

Cages with hides and water. Proper sub, and good height.

Last edited:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I've seen better setups at Petco, and they know so little that I've had to make them take out 5 - 7 crickets from a VERY freshly molted Avic's enclosure. That's truly upsetting. Even if it's "just a spider", that doesn't mean it should be put in horrible conditions because they didn't do any research. You should've had your husband leave with your son so you could've said what you needed to say.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Could you please post the contact information for them? I would do a google search myself, but I want to ensure that I have the correct facility. I will write them.
And people question why I despise zoos and this lame excuse that they provide 'education'.
I’ve tried giving different places T advice... it never changes anything sadly...

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
This is surprising to me, actually. I am curious as to where they found their caretaker. I would gladly provide better enclosures out of my own wallet for these creatures, especially for a zoo. It's not even difficult to provide an aesthetic and functional enclosure for these species.

The wolf

Arachnolord
I've seen one zoo with reasonable care for their arachnids. And that's the Cincinnati Zoo in Ohio. Beautiful bug section.

Cages with hides and water. Proper sub, and good height.
Bristol zoo as far as my limited knowledge can tell takes absolutely brilliant care of their inverts