The H. gigas Project.

Juraki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:clap:

I love it when two year old threads come back. I'll admit I'm curious too if there are any updates, what a cool species! I have one but I'm gonna need more, there are too fun.

Gustavo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
when i get alittle more experience i might have to try this but would it be better to start with a smal sling so they can start young and they will not have a whole life before they start fishing?

Also i think the simpler setup idea would work better ... but whate about a large aquarium with a smaller one aganst 2 sides?

brova golin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have 30 H gigis (i know maybe not H gigis mess up etc) but at the mo they are only 3cm but when bit bigger i will Defo be doing this experiment buut with shallow water. great thread. my blondi loves fish i puut them in his bowl lol.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know for sure if any actually do it in the wild, but I'm told what I have is a Hysterocrates crassipes. (Which I guess is the pet-trade H. gigas)

Bill

Hi,

What you have is an Hysterocrate sp. because its impossible to tell what species it is except under the eye of a taxonomist.

I never heard someone having Hysterocrate crassipes in the hobby.

This said this is an interesting project you've made there

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think anybody else tried this, according to my search of the boards.
But I believe I will make an attempt within a year, once I settle at a new residence.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Gonna try this

I just aquired an H. gigas and i will have an empty tank i believe will be large enough to try this with. i will be attempting to remotely filter and aerate the water so as not to disturb the surface in the tank so much and see what happens. sometime after the 1st of the month i will start tank construction.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
any more updates on this, anyone else make a successful hybrid tank and see some fish catching?

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am not much for "grave robbing" but how is the project going?

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well this thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd let everyone know that my silicone is now drying. So excited to up grade my H.gigas to somthing amazing!

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I will be attempting this...I'm using a 20gal for now with a large water area until I get the larger one built. I will be using a 4.5' x 2' tank with a creek and large pond...the creek will be flowing but the pond will be still (imagine a koi pond you might put in your back yard but on a smaller scale). With live plants, drift wood, etc... The female I have is currently 6". I'm hoping to have the larger tank done in the next 2 weeks or so...maybe sooner. I'll give updates and pics...

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I will be attempting this...I'm using a 20gal for now with a large water area until I get the larger one built. I will be using a 4.5' x 2' tank with a creek and large pond...the creek will be flowing but the pond will be still (imagine a koi pond you might put in your back yard but on a smaller scale). With live plants, drift wood, etc... The female I have is currently 6". I'm hoping to have the larger tank done in the next 2 weeks or so...maybe sooner. I'll give updates and pics...

when i move out of my dorm that doesn't even allow pets, i plan to follow suit. what an interesting idea...

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
For some reason I thought you might try it Rob:D
I'm really looking forward to what you build.