The H. gigas Project.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Um... Bill? Couldn't you have just, ummmm, put a large shallow dish in the enclosure with some fish in it? Or is that the blonde method?:?

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I might have a go at a simpler version of this. Perhaps get a fairly big aquarium and fill with substrate. Then get a medium sized petpal and kind of bury it so that the fish in the petpal can be seen through the side. Just bury it deep enough so that the water is just below ground level and the H.gigas can get in and out. A bit of a "diet H.gigas project" if you like.

Bill, what's the chance of setting up a webcam so we can have a peak?:D

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, when I finish moving this weekend, I'll be setting up the newly plugged tank (found the leak), and giving this another go. Give me a webcam and I'll plug it in :p

Bill

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Well, when I finish moving this weekend, I'll be setting up the newly plugged tank (found the leak), and giving this another go. Give me a webcam and I'll plug it in :p

Bill
I got a cheap crappy one. Gimme shipping money and I'll send it :D

N.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
And that would have been fun how?

Bill
Yeah, guess you're right... it doesn't involve power tools. Ar ar ar ar. I, personally, LOVE my Dremel!!!

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I can't help it. I've been curious.

Anything interesting? I'm a bit pessemistic, so I'm assuming not since you haven't said anything -- but I figured it'd be worth a shot :p

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Guess I should have updated this..

I took out the girl so that I could do some small modification and repair to the tank, and had her in a temporary enclosure. One with a little too much ventilation, I think.

Subject A is no more, alas the project is cancelled.

Bill

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
oh, bummer..
I now have H gigas, and wanted to model a project after yours!
I still may though.
I might have to have you send me step by step instructions though!
Holley

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know how I came about this thread, but it was a great read. I would love to see somebody try this again!

What do you say Bill? Give it another go?

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Got to agree, real interesting read. Will H gigas fish as well or is it just the H crassipes? :confused:

Mikey_G.Rosea

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks like you got it down now pretty much! Great project experience you have too!

Last edited:

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am planning something similar with dolomedes tenebrosis(Did I botch the spelling?)

Fishing spider.

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well be sure and post LOTSA pics. This was the neatest thing I'd seen but was sadly never followed up on. Good luck!!

_SHIVA_

Arachnopeon
Well Bill,
It's a pitty you gived it up... :(
Anyway, I've to agree with everybody, it was a very nice try.
As would say Crush, in pixar's Finding nemo: "You so totally rocks!!!" :D
Regards

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Lyle Beach said:
I don't know how I came about this thread, but it was a great read. I would love to see somebody try this again!

What do you say Bill? Give it another go?
Well.. I've been planning to, but I need a new big Hysterocrates sp. female.. and there are unfortunately more important things requiring my uhm.. money.

I found out where I went wrong just as I was removing her, and it was the reason I *DID* move her. I had a leak in the wall of the divider, and it caused the water level to sink down to about three inches. The time I noticed this, it was because she was standing IN the water, apparently happy as a clam. Perhaps the only reason she wasn't so all about it, was that she couldn't touch bottom.

Anyone up for taking over, since I'm not likely to be buying any T's in the immediate future?

Bill

Edit - I know I posted this before.. but, in case someone might be suffering from skimmeritis - no pun intended..

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
why not just sink a small fishbowl that has a filter system down to the substrate level (or just above)? Good idea but I think cheaper if using pre-made materials. A plus is lack of expense in case changes wreck something.
Rev

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, i think..
1.should use still water set up, cuz flowing water with vibration and bubbles might distract the spider, or strees them
2. i recomond using fish that can breath in the air, such as Betta, might reduce the death rates of the fish
3. maybe can extand the space of the water , and place some drift woods in, connect to the "land" area, i guess they might try to grab on something in case of flowing in the water, they are not good swimmers, arnt they?
4. will the half land half water vivarium with water circulating system which use on amphibians work? i think we should have a well design of vivarium to testify whether fish and other aquatic animals can live for a while, too, righ?
just some of my opinions

Last edited:

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Did anything ever come of this ........would like to know what happen

Thanks