The Grammostola pulchra myth

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Really? you mean any tarantulas could be kept at temps is high as 97 and be happy and healthy in your care
oppose me possibly doing something wrong
Am not even sure if I got that right
As anastasia implied,
Im sorry but I highly doubt tarantulas will do "fine" at 97F for a long time, and I mean days. Specially rain forest t's.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can't accurately call it a "myth", because there is no common variable in your "experiment". If I kept a (normally fast-growing) P. murinus or a Psalmopoeus in the same conditions as you did with your pulchra, it would grow even faster than it normally would, and it would then make your "fast-growing" pulchra look a slow grower again. I don't think you ever understood what Joe was trying to put across. For a comparison to be fair you have to have a common variable.

Therefore, under the SAME living conditions, G. pulchra is a slow grower compared to the likes of P. murinus, Poecilotheria and Psalmopoeus. Your experiment did nothing to prove otherwise.
The title is an attention grabber.

As anastasia implied,
Im sorry but I highly doubt tarantulas will do "fine" at 97F for a long time, and I mean days. Specially rain forest t's.
Everyday is a new day. God makes the sun rise and controls the temps of my location. My job is to ensure my T's are hydrated and living. So regardless I do it successfully.

Just like everyday is a new day and temperatures fluctuate, so does my T room. But I have had it AS HIGH AS 97F You don't have to do it. I'm just stating my experience.

Last edited:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Everyday is a new day. God makes the sun rise and controls the temps of my location. My job is to ensure my T's are hydrated and living. So regardless I do it successfully.

Just like everyday is a new day and temperatures fluctuate, so does my T room. But I have had it AS HIGH AS 97F
Good thing you are not keeping them in a Sauna :).

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Uh, I don't think so. Your original post stated:

Hopefully this will show others that the G. pulchra can grow quick and the myth of them being a slow grower is just that......A Myth.
You say it is a myth that G. pulchra is a slow grower, just because you observed faster growth with enhanced, unnatural living conditions. What everyone has been trying to tell you is, you CANNOT use that as evidence that G. pulchra is not a slow grower - simply because you do not have a control with a common variable (in this case, the living conditions). This is simple logic and you clearly fail to grasp it.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To me its still a myth even if you do not agree. Thats my view and I stick to it. For so long it has held that reputation. I prove otherwise and not just with this one species.
I requote my view.

Insulting people because they aren't praising you like others in this thread is ridiculous.

Cass
It was not an insult, its a view. I apologize if it insults you directly. I removed offending comment.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good thing you are not keeping them in a Sauna :).
or an oven ;)
Steve, dont get me wrong, but your statement about generalizing all tarantulas to higher temperatures (life well been) possibly wrong?

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
or an oven ;)
Steve, dont get me wrong, but your statement about generalizing all tarantulas to higher temperatures (life well been) possibly wrong?
I'm not telling anyone to do it. Look, I started this thread to inform of a method i use, not to be rediculed, judged and have my thread disected into a million pieces in a judgemental manner. I live in California. Sunny and hot. It happens. It gets hot, and my T room gets hot. I didn't do this as an experiment, I actually keep my T's this way because that is how it is. And because of this environment, they grow quicker. Thats my point. Even the G. rosea grows amazingly quick in my care.
Is that not proof that maybe its the way I'm keeping them.?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Just like everyday is a new day and temperatures fluctuate, so does my T room. But I have had it AS HIGH AS 97F You don't have to do it. I'm just stating my experience.

You are acting quite a bit hard headed. No need to get defensive man, Do what you please with your t's.

I didnt want to get into it, but I will. So far, neither you uncovered a myth or proved it wrong and now you get defensive when people doubt your methods like letting your T's at almost 100F.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It has gotten 95F in northern Georgia where I live. Our air conditioner being out of action for a few days. I had 1" B. vagans in a death curl, it survived thanks to an ICU. I do not blame myself since I keep all of my T's well hydrated, to think that it would be me doing something wrong as to why it was in a death curl instead of the high temps is something I wish I could believe.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I requote my view.
Your "view", then, is misguided, misinformed and quite incorrect.

Hopefully this makes it a little easier (for you) to understand:

ANYONE could take what is generally accepted to be a slow-growing species, feed and keep it like you do, and achieve a growth rate much higher than usual. Does that mean the species is not slow-growing, compared to other species? No it does not. I could keep a G. rosea at 95 degrees, feed it 5 times a day and it would almost certainly grow faster than any other G. rosea in the world. Does that mean I have debunked a "myth"? Does that mean G. rosea is not a slow-growing species after all? No it does not, because I could also keep a Pterinochilus murinus, for instance, at 95 degrees and feed it 5 times a day and it would still grow significantly faster than the G. rosea.

You have proven nothing with your "experiment".

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You are acting quite a bit hard headed. No need to get defensive man, Do what you please with your t's.

I didnt want to get into it, but I will. So far, neither you uncovered a myth or proved it wrong and now you get defensive when people doubt your methods like letting your T's at almost 100F.
I'll put it this way..When I say my T is X big, i get asked how I did it. Than i say how i did it, and I get judged. But yet that person gave the wow factor and wanted to know what I did. I am informing. And I am not killing anything, In fact, I was even asked about my GBB sac, if faster growth had a negative side effect. I show that it does not.

Get over the choice of words i used. I basically show that I can pic a specimen and prove that it can grow quick. Now its up to the individual to use the info for good or bad.

Heres one good...Breeding purposes.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your "view", then, is misguided, misinformed and quite incorrect.

Hopefully this makes it a little easier (for you) to understand:

ANYONE could take what is generally accepted to be a slow-growing species, feed and keep it like you do, and achieve a growth rate much higher than usual. Does that mean the species is not slow-growing, compared to other species? No it does not. I could keep a G. rosea at 95 degrees, feed it 5 times a day and it would almost certainly grow faster than any other G. rosea in the world. Does that mean I have debunked a "myth"? Does that mean G. rosea is not a slow-growing species after all? No it does not, because I could also keep a Pterinochilus murinus, for instance, at 95 degrees and feed it 5 times a day and it would still grow significantly faster than the G. rosea.

You have proven nothing with your "experiment".
Yes that makes sense and appreciate this angle. But with this thread I do get across that it is possible which no one actuallycan prove as I have done. So therefore it is informational.

I have tried telling people the same way you state here in your quote above. But what about the people that ask me specifically? I think this thread have spoken to those that wanted to know. I always can say i have a bigger specimen than the masses. But what good is that without sharing how I did it so that one person with the same desire can decide whether to do it or not.

But my friend...ANYBODY can do that. :?

and is not quick, but quickER.
Exactly. Thats my point. No secret. Hence me explaining it. But unfortunately, the word "Myth" gets everyone all hyper.

Maybe I should have titled "My G. pulchra grew fast, heres how" Maybe then this thread would not be 5 pages long with most of it being debate. Which is famous here in this forum.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
what good is that without sharing how I did it so that one person with the same desire can decide whether to do it or not.
Nobody has a problem with your sharing what you did. What irks people is the fact that you worded your posts to suggest that you "debunked the myth" of G. pulchra being a slow(er)-growing species. Which you did not. It irks people because it is, after all, misinformation.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nobody has a problem with your sharing what you did. What irks people is the fact that you worded your posts to suggest that you "debunked the myth" of G. pulchra being a slow(er)-growing species. Which you did not. It irks people because it is, after all, misinformation.
It irks people in this forum. Not all people.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It irks people in this forum. Not all people.
Maybe because in this forum;
-theres a higher traffic of people
-People on it is more experienced than in others.

Again, the forum comment has nothing to do with it.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Misinformation, especially misinformation on an information-sharing forum on animal husbandry, ought to be corrected, no? :?
Yes I agree. Myth is a bad choice of a word. I have stated what it might have or should have been titled in post #74