The Future of the T. Hobby (Mainstream) Discussion

Johjie

Arachnopeon
I like to think that it's worth it to encourage more people to join the hobby. For a certain number of flippant pet owners joining in, there will be a certain number of people that are genuinely interested in learning and successfully keeping tarantulas. It gets tiring to see people scoff/smirk/berate/belittle someone for making a stupid mistake and probably sustains any lackadaisical attitude they perceive.

I find it hard to believe that the newb "idiots" as described here, are the ones spending $600-1000 USD on a T. Seladonia or other similar species. Whether restrictions are enforced may or may not be dependent on how popular the hobby gets. I also don't see newb idiots buying a significant number of tarantulas to rival that of the typical hobbyist.

I would be surprised if there were a majority of people who watch popular YouTubers who actually follow them, copy them and own a lot of tarantulas. So some assumptions about their influence may be extrapolated from a false premise. It's just not a realistic use of someone's time to make every video they produce as comprehensive as the community seems to demand.

Dapink02

Arachnopeon
Yep.. there's a city near me where all exotics are completely banned. These bans are very real and might become more prevalent.

Just FYI, unless temps are consistently below like, 50, you really don't have to worry too much.
it's 30 degrees where i'm at right now so maybe i'll try ordering next month or so

Venomverse

Arachnopeon
Oh, it's you again, why am I not surprised.
Do you know that I have been making a tarantula videos for two years before I earned a single penny? Yeah I definitely build all of my enclosures, projects and setups for tarantulas because I don't care about them. I definitely spent my childhood reading all the encyclopedias and books I could get about spiders because I didn't care about them.
I definitely got detention in my first grade because I was outside looking for spiders in a bushes and didn't go back to class when bell ringed because I didn't care about spiders.
I definitely listened to all the nagging from my mom for having tarantulas at home because I actually didn't care about them.
You don't know me and you clearly don't watch my videos or if you do, you just look them to nitpick stuff you don't like while ignoring everything else.
Stop talking crap about me on every single occasion you get, it's becoming really annoying.

On the topic of this thread, it was inevitable for hobby to become more "mainstream". Youtube videos and facebook groups definitely had huge role in this, showing how caring for tarantulas is really easy and not demanding, at least in comparison to majority of pets. And they also show how tarantulas aren't some scary creatures so people that are curious in nature will go and try to find out more. Also more and more people are living in apartments, so keeping majority of pets is not really practical, and this is where tarantulas shine.
Petkokc you and the Dark Den are the reason why I got into tarantulas. Anyone who watches one of your videos will instantly know that you are truly passionate about the hobby and that you really love all your animals, thank you for educating and inspiring me so much.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Yes the hobby is growing but it will never be mainstream like dogs, cats, birds or even herps.
I'm fairly new to keeping T's myself and I've realized there are already more people keeping T's than you think. I don't know how membership on AB has grown say in the last 5 years. But the people here are just a small fraction of people keeping T's. All one has to do is look at the social groups on Facebook to get a glimpse of how popular this hobby is.

There is all kind of bad and I mean really bad information being passed out via social media
Both Facebook and YouTube. I mean I haven't yet attempted to breed T's but I know locales should never be crossed. So why doesn't a so called "expert" with thousands of subscribers on YouTube already know this information? Thay makes me question all of the "information" they are dispensing.
One of the most dangerous aspects.of social media is the stunts to increase subscribers and likes. There are countless photos and videos of people handling OBT's and Pokies. With the disclaimer "handle at your own risk" Meaning I can do it but you shouldn't and all that does is encourage people to do it. I have questioned the admins of many of these groups why the allow handling pics/videos and the response is they allow it as long as it's done responsibly. There is no T handling that is responsible. Many a photo has shown a T on a keepers arm several feet above the ground where a fall would be fatal How does this help anyone?
It's only a matter of time before you hear this "A teenage boy was hospitalized due to a bite from his pet Tarantula after trying to replicate what he saw on a YouTube video." It's not an if, it's a when. When that happens you'll see a crackdown on the T hobby. That's not good for any of us.

Vulksgren

Arachnopeon
Dark Den and ExoticsLair is what got me into the hobby a year ago, and gave learned so much since then. Ts and spiders in general are amazing, was always interested in them but didnt take the initiative to learn more til recently. I tell all my friends about em and most seem to be at least slightly interested of my collection. Still watch Dark Den (who I personally think is great, good mix of entertainment and information) and recently Tom Moran. Dropped ExoticsLair, he got waaaaay too overboard with the clickbait to where it annoyed me (especially using 10+ year old memes in thumbnails, personal nitpick). This place has been great to, and especially some local keepers here where I live. Bit effy on the hobby becoming more popular, would say it's a double edged sword.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I don't know where the future of the hobby is going but I can say that I hope it doesn't go in the direction that the herp hobby is right now. I have met a few in the reptile trade that were decent but most (including almost all vets) are just really uppity! Real PETA lynch mob types. I can only speak from experience. I have literally been told " I brought you into this hobby and I'll take you out! Give me proof of life or I'll call animal control!" for criticizing a crooked vet! Funny thing...I was keeping turtles and frogs before this person was born! Needless to say I don't play ball with that stuff. Or PETA folks for that matter. The cops would show up and find all of my animals in good shape and then I would probably press harrasment charges.

My hope is that we as hobbyists forgo all that stupid stuff and come together for the good of the hobby and help the greenhorns learn. For every 10 morons that gets a tarantula for shock value (of which I met a few) I think we would find 1 true arachnophile. Everyone was a noob at one point and we are all better off with boards such as this. At least we have better knowledge on how to keep our pets now. Not everyone will follow the advice given but most will.

Since there are so few of us keeping tarantulas compared to most other exotics I think we should come together for the sake of the spiders and try to bypass a lot of needless arguments that could drive folks away. I can think of at least a dozen really knowledgeable t people who have ditched Arachnoboards due to stuff like this(wasn'ton the board then so Iam not picking sides), who's knowledge is valuable. I feel fortunate that the most knowledgeable folks I know are a phone call away. As a relative noob it is assuring to know that I have this board or those folks to help :) The casual keepers may mess things up for their pets but someone who is truly into the hobby is the person that will steer it in the future. Hopefully with compassion.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Keeping giant spiders in boxes of dirt will never be “mainstream”. There may be a current increase of interest due to the internet content creators offering a counter point to the traditional “giant spider wants to kill you” image that has been put out for decades. At the end of the day we are all weirdos in the grand orchestra of society, if more folks want to join us, all the better.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Keeping giant spiders in boxes of dirt will never be “mainstream”. There may be a current increase of interest due to the internet content creators offering a counter point to the traditional “giant spider wants to kill you” image that has been put out for decades. At the end of the day we are all weirdos in the grand orchestra of society, if more folks want to join us, all the better.
I dunno...some folks probably laughed at the idea of keeping fish in glass boxes, and now look where we are...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
I tend to be a pessimist when it comes to this.

All I see coming out of the hobby gaining traction with more people is an increase in the less than desirable things already present.

I fear that any time a new species is discovered that is rather desirable (ie Selenocosmiinae sp. biru) that it will be unsustainably and illegally collected for the sake of profit. Thusly ruining their chances in the wild.

I see increased social media exposure in the form of popular Youtube channels, Facebook groups (not all of them) etc. only bringing in more fools. I mean look at how many people can’t even take proper care of a dog or cat, let alone something as different as a spider (even though it is a lot easier).

The biggest concern I have is some peoples fanaticism regarding groups/content creators to the point that they blindly follow them instead of thinking of what is best for the creature in their care. It is extremely disheartening to say the least.

However, some good may come
of it. With increased participation and exposure, people might be able to band together and get those that have power/influence to look into and put into place ethical practices but that feels like a long way away, if it will happen at all. And I mean a concerted effort, not like what happened with the 5 Sri Lankan Poecilotheria (as an example).

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I dunno...some folks probably laughed at the idea of keeping fish in glass boxes, and now look where we are...

Thanks,

Arthroverts
People have been keeping fish for hundreds of years if not longer. It took that hobby a looooong time to get this far. The explosion in the T hobby is happening much quicker, however it will never reach the popularity of fishes .

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I tend to be a pessimist when it comes to this.
All I see coming out of the hobby gaining traction with more people is an increase in the less than desirable things already present.
Having met literally hundreds of brand new people at the expos that I volunteer at - it boils down to two very distinct groups.
First group are people who tell me that they have been watching Tom Moran's videos and the second group are people who tell me that they have been watching Exotics Lair and Dark Den videos. These two groups are at completely polar opposite ends of the spectrum.
Tom Moran video watchers have done far more relevant research. They know exactly what species they want and they, more often than not, use the scientific name; they have already purchased the supplies (sometimes they have them with them and ask for feedback); they ask intelligent and pertinent questions; and they follow up with the Facebook page even months later to give us an update on their spiders.
The other group have done very little research; they say they want the most venomous and aggressive spider we have and that they want it to be a blue one; they don't know the names of the species, or which is appropriate for them; they have no idea how to set them up properly and don't even know the difference between arboreal and terrestrial; they have no supplies, or say they have an empty 10 gallon aquarium at home for a 1/4" spiderling. We most often never hear from those people again.
This is not my opinion. This is actual fact based experiences that I have had personally. Sure, there are some exceptions, and there are people who say they watch all of channels, but the difference between the two groups and their approach to these animals is almost black and white in comparison.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Having met literally hundreds of brand new people at the expos that I volunteer at - it boils down to two very distinct groups.
First group are people who tell me that they have been watching Tom Moran's videos and the second group are people who tell me that they have been watching Exotics Lair and Dark Den videos. These two groups are at completely polar opposite ends of the spectrum.
Tom Moran video watchers have done far more relevant research. They know exactly what species they want and they, more often than not, use the scientific name; they have already purchased the supplies (sometimes they have them with them and ask for feedback); they ask intelligent and pertinent questions; and they follow up with the Facebook page even months later to give us an update on their spiders.
The other group have done very little research; they say they want the most venomous and aggressive spider we have and that they want it to be a blue one; they don't know the names of the species, or which is appropriate for them; they have no idea how to set them up properly and don't even know the difference between arboreal and terrestrial; they have no supplies, or say they have an empty 10 gallon aquarium at home for a 1/4" spiderling. We most often never hear from those people again.
This is not my opinion. This is actual fact based experiences that I have had personally. Sure, there are some exceptions, and there are people who say they watch all of channels, but the difference between the two groups and their approach to these animals is almost black and white in comparison.
What percentage would you say the exceptions are?

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
This reads like opinion.

bunnyhugger

Arachnopeon
On the other hand a broader hobby might encourage people to tolerate rather than eradicate spiders in their communities and increase conservation of spider habitats.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
People have been keeping fish for hundreds of years if not longer. It took that hobby a looooong time to get this far. The explosion in the T hobby is happening much quicker, however it will never reach the popularity of fishes .
Not necessarily for the saltwater side of things. From what I understand, it started gaining ground around the 60s and 70s (not counting the eel pits the Romans kept), and now we are capable of keeping miniature reefs, seagrass biotopes, even sharks and rays, far away from the ocean. Even beginners on a shoestring budget can build something of beauty.

Maybe tarantulas by themselves will never reach that level of popularity, but I do think that the invertebrate hobby as a whole (arachnids, insects, gastropods, myriapods, etc.) may someday become widespread enough that it is no longer "weird" or "exotic" to keep a "bug" in a glass box as a pet.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Not necessarily for the saltwater side of things. From what I understand, it started gaining ground around the 60s and 70s (not counting the eel pits the Romans kept), and now we are capable of keeping miniature reefs, seagrass biotopes, even sharks and rays, far away from the ocean. Even beginners on a shoestring budget can build something of beauty.

Maybe tarantulas by themselves will never reach that level of popularity, but I do think that the invertebrate hobby as a whole (arachnids, insects, gastropods, myriapods, etc.) may someday become widespread enough that it is no longer "weird" or "exotic" to keep a "bug" in a glass box as a pet.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
My administrator and I were talking just before Christmas Break. I'm going to be setting up a living wall system in my classroom. I'll build a rack system that will sit on the top of my counter that will support display enclosures of a few select species of spiders and insects, both native species and exotics. The students would get to help maintain the enclosures. I’m also going to take two classes and break them up into 3-4 person groups, these groups will be hatching preying mantic egg cases this spring, then raising and caring for the young.

My advanced class is going to help me set this uptrend living wall system.

For expanding the hobby in an informed and knowledge based manner, education through a science classroom cannot be beat.

Positive informed exposure at 200 students per year. Get rid of those pesky myths that are so pervasive and wrong...sponges in the water dishes and other garbage.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
My administrator and I were talking just before Christmas Break. I'm going to be setting up a living wall system in my classroom. I'll build a rack system that will sit on the top of my counter that will support display enclosures of a few select species of spiders and insects, both native species and exotics. The students would get to help maintain the enclosures. I’m also going to take two classes and break them up into 3-4 person groups, these groups will be hatching preying mantic egg cases this spring, then raising and caring for the young.

My advanced class is going to help me set this uptrend living wall system.

For expanding the hobby in an informed and knowledge based manner, education through a science classroom cannot be beat.

Positive informed exposure at 200 students per year. Get rid of those pesky myths that are so pervasive and wrong...sponges in the water dishes and other garbage.
That's really cool! I have fond memories of my high school science class room that had a Piranha! Used to stay after school to watch it eat. Was a pain because you could wait an hour for it to strike and if you blinked you would miss it lol!