The Future of the T. Hobby (Mainstream) Discussion

Liquifin

Arachnoking
This discussion is to talk about the new Hobbyist and the future of Mainstream media. I don't know how many New people in this hobby are going to read this. But what's to come in the future in this hobby? I know people hate mainstream media, but this hobby is starting to turn towards this route (Hate to admit it).

The biggest issue people are having is the huge number of newcomers into this hobby. And how the "Internet Idols" of this hobby are influencing them. What do you think of this, and how good or bad is it going to affect the Future T. hobby and hobbyist? What solutions can help with this issue?

My (not-so-helpful) Solution
I personally think that if their are more experienced (years of experience) T. keepers on Youtube or something, it would help a lot. And the issue regarding "Internet Idols" is that a majority of them are "unrealistic" (fight me). The issue all of these idols have is that they make it all rainbows and paradise with a "idealistic" vision of how they see the hobby. Realistically and ironically, while I do make comedy skits of this hobby that is for comedic and learning purposes(oxymoron I am :rolleyes:). Even I know that educational/entertainment T. idols should be more "logically realistic" and not idealistic on the views of this hobby. It's just probably me, but it gives the wrong mindset to them.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
This discussion is to talk about the new Hobbyist and the future of Mainstream media. I don't know how many New people in this hobby are going to read this. But what's to come in the future in this hobby? I know people hate mainstream media, but this hobby is starting to turn towards this route (Hate to admit it).

The biggest issue people are having is the huge number of newcomers into this hobby. And how the "Internet Idols" of this hobby are influencing them. What do you think of this, and how good or bad is it going to affect the Future T. hobby and hobbyist? What solutions can help with this issue?

My (not-so-helpful) Solution
I personally think that if their are more experienced (years of experience) T. keepers on Youtube or something, it would help a lot. And the issue regarding "Internet Idols" is that a majority of them are "unrealistic" (fight me). The issue all of these idols have is that they make it all rainbows and paradise with a "idealistic" vision of how they see the hobby. Realistically and ironically, while I do make comedy skits of this hobby that is for comedic and learning purposes(oxymoron I am :rolleyes:). Even I know that educational/entertainment T. idols should be more "logically realistic" and not idealistic on the views of this hobby. It's just probably me, but it gives the wrong mindset to them.
Speaking of internet idiots, I saw a guy the other day on instagram with 5 Poecilotheria Metallica on his arm and hand at one time taking pictures. This is what gets Tarantulas and people hurt because now the next guy wants to do the same because he thinks it looks cool and it snowballs from there. Then when someone gets bit and ends up serious they get more media involved putting bad taste towards tarantulas.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I think the fact that there are tons of new and casual keepers is good :) As I stated on another thread, I think it's inevitable that some of them will become hobbyists and ultimate decide to start breeding or vending, increasing the availability of spiders in the hobby. I think that we can all agree that more spiders = good.

It is likewise inevitable that some of those casual and new keepers will start YouTube channels showing how they keep their spiders. Many of them will make mistakes, like we all did when starting out. This is actually a great opportunity for them to learn, as long as other hobbyists reach out to them to help and guide them.

A point I'd like to bring up, however, is that I think it's very important to help and guide new and casual keepers in a constructive manner. In order to make someone listen to us, we have to be more compassionate to newbies. Be respectful of the human being that is keeping a pet that they may not fully understand yet and guide them, instead of jumping on them and/or gatekeeping.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've said this a couple of years ago, and I will continue to say this now and tomorrow either: the arachnid keeping (in regards to T's, in particular, because scorpions and true spiders are still under the radars) is, unfortunately, on the road for turn 'mainstream', little by little, step by step.

Check how much followers has certain YT channels - God forbid, I wouldn't mention those :lock:

Anyway, I believe that with big numbers arrives big confusion and big issues (including the risk of ethical ones, like a new wave of Franken T's & hybrids, for instance).

A couple of weeks ago I've viewed (for pure coincidence) an Italian braindead 'zombie' TV program, animal themed, where T's were depicted in a too "good" way, stating obviously the average (and IMO annoying) stuff good for the likes of 'grammo/brachy' etc (as if every species is like those), showing even 'handling' stuff (taken from various YT videos)!

This in a nation where in 2003 arachnids were stupidly banned in the blink of an eye. Equilibrium exists no more :writer:

That's not a good thing, definitely.

With that said, I'm a selfish dastard so whatever will happens, happens :pompous:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like the udea that the hobby grows. What i dont like is:

1 If newcommer get influenced by certain youtubers that i dont like! There are good also. I wished that newcomer got there knollage from serious books, written by serious people, like arachnologist, and i wished they took the hobby that seriously, that they made research before buying tarantulas!

2 I hope the hobby in the future was based on captive breeding. Maybe it is? But WC is not something i think is positive for the hobby

I dont care if the hobby is mainstream or not! As long as the keepers are serious, has a genuine intrest and are passionate about tarantulas

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
What scares me are the people who aren't bright enough to differentiate between entertainment and good animal care (or the people who just want entertainment and don't care about the animals at all.) The video makers who put their animals at risk for the sake of likes and clicks shouldn't do well, but they do.

Last edited:

Dapink02

Arachnopeon
I've only been in the hobby for a little over a year, and I'm just happy that I came here first instead of listening/watching accounts that don't care for their animals correctly. I've gotten a few friends into the hobby, and I always make sure they come here so they know what they are supposed to be doing. Some people think of AB as a board of elitist people, but there's so much I learned here and maybe there could be some awareness raised of AB to direct more people to be educated here.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Tarantulas are boring pets for the most part (not saying it’s a bad thing) so these so called yootube influencers have to hype up the hobby. It’s for fame, and monetary value if they are breeder.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If one have just one tarantula from a slowgrowing speicues it is very boring. But if one have lots of tarantula of diffrent genus and speicies, it becomes fun!

Jayson1974

Arachnopeon
I became interested in Tarantula keeping in late 2018...October/November because my wife started me watching some feeding videos. That morphed into starting some research into proper care. Which lead me here through a mention by Tom Moran on his Youtube channel. I decided from the first that I would wait a minimum of 2 full months before getting a Tarantula. In meantime I have continued reading about different species and care here. Dont watch the way out there videos now and might order soon.

Sadly I am not sure that all or even many new keepers will follow suit.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
First off you have to assess whether these newcomers are tarantula hobbyists or social media celebrity wannabes looking for an 'edge' on getting their 15 minutes of social media fame. That is what Exotics Lair, The Dark Den, and Brian Barczyk have done for the hobby - they haven't created hobbyists, they have created a way to get subscribers. Brian Barczyk didn't give a damn about tarantulas until he saw what they did for other channels like Exotics Lair and Dark Den. He saw that he was missing out on an opportunity to attract more people to his channel and decided to do something about it.
In dealing with the public on a whole, and seeing countless new people entering the hobby, the majority of them are not really interested in tarantulas/spiders/arachnids at all and are only looking for that novelty item that they feel will give them an advantage on social media.
Sorry, but that is the truth. They don't care about the spiders at all - they don't care about learning, they don't care about husbandry, they don't care about the well being of the tarantula - all they care about is what that tarantula will do for them and their social media presence.
So, while it might look as if this hobby is getting more 'mainstream', it isn't getting as mainstream as people think. What is getting more mainstream is using tarantulas to establish a social media reputation. Will some of those people become hobbyists as a result? Maybe a small percentage will, but the majority will just be onto the next animal when the tarantula novelty wears off.

Last edited:

Michael Guirov

Arachnopeon
YouTube is simply buisness for most of the channels mentioned, its a terrible shame but easily digested "entertainment" seams to always get more views than educational content. I reckon more knowledgeable people would invest their time makeing educational content if it was paid or even promoted half as well as the other junk. Im assuming its a combination of YT algorithms and general public interest that affects this?

That being said I just hope people use common sense and source credible information regarding animal care, or atleast search for multiple opinions on the topic rather than blindly assuming one Youtube video or pet store is an authority on correct care.

Im sure thats optimistic considering the abundance of "dead Avic" threads.
Maybe getting credible forums linked on vendor and breader sites could help?
Seams like a win win for both parties?
The vendor can provide an easy source for care and the fourm gets more clicks?

Just a thought.

Otherwise im not sure how to combat stupid people being stupid.

Minty

@londontarantulas
The more mainstream the hobby becomes, the higher the potential for negative restrictions being placed upon it. I know this has already started, but it could become worse in the future. I’m not arguing in favour of total unregulated keeping, I just think some of the current laws in the US, such as the issue surrounding some Poecilotheria, is totally ridiculous.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I think that most of the people who are influenced by YT keepers are just looking for the next exotic pet "fad" and will probably become bored after awhile and move on to something else. It might just be wishful thinking on my part, but if someone's into T's for excitement they bought the wrong pet.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
The more mainstream the hobby becomes, the higher the potential for negative restrictions being placed upon it.
LOL, that's very true. Unfortunately, the more popular something becomes, the more accessible that something is to idiots. It is always the few idiots out there that ruin it for everyone.

And by "idiots" I am not necessarily referring to YouTubers, vloggers, bloggers, etc. I'm referring to the few who do things like poach wild tarantulas or exploit wild populations to satisfy the growing demand for them. I am also referring to those who are not mature enough to handle a wild venomous animal. I can see a day where medical cases of tarantula envenomations or urtication will start rising and will be reported on causing the medical community to look into such matters more closely.

Last edited:

s dave

Arachnopeon
So I'm new to the exotic pet hobby in general and I feel like while Petko and Exoticslair got me interested, Tom Moran made me want to own spiders.

Then I came here and I find that I'm always flipping through the forums for information, even on species that I'm not really interested in keeping for one reason or another.

So I guess it's me you folks are referring to and I will say that because of this site and Tom's channel/podcast I feel like I have a good foundation to progress. As long as things like this exist there is always a good chance those that get involved and decide they enjoy it will have good info. So thanks and keep positive feelings because "who knows what is good and what is bad."

sourpatchkid

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure that I understand the problem of the hobby going mainstream. An influx of newcomers will cause greater demand and eventually greater supply of Ts bred in captivity. True that there will be more people who should never have Ts or pets, but that's always going to be the case of pet owners in general. Keep in mind that every so-called expert started out being ignorant at some point.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm not sure that I understand the problem of the hobby going mainstream. An influx of newcomers will cause greater demand and eventually greater supply of Ts bred in captivity.
Yes. Including into that demand the risk of facing a brand new wave of Franken T's: when easy $$$ enters, often ethical issues becomes less 'ethical'. Happened in the past, why shouldn't happen again, since as a whole the T's trade/keeping is skyrocketing?

It's easy to jump into something, but not everyone loves to lose his/her time for educate him/herself... for a lot of fellas, that's the "boring" part and nothing else.

Also, as stated above, since we are anyway talking about venomous animals, restrictions are always behind the corner. Media sensationalism is a double edged sword: today they can praise a fluffy B.albo (showing even handling crazy stunts), the next day the brain of those folks may malfunctioning in regards of a P.murinus bite.

Let's hope that mine is only a sensation (I doubt, but) for that if the T's keeping reaches even a slightly 'mainstream' level, mark my words, wouldn't be a good thing at all for everyone, and for a lot of different reasons.