The End of and Era

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince

I am very emotional about this but simply put, I have a very healthy month old boy in the house now and after many sleepless nights of deep thinking, I have decided that I cannot keep most of my venomous snakes...

I will get back to this amazing hobby when I can afford to have a separate place just for the animals but in the meantime, I will surely miss my animals.

Life is full of difficult decisions, and this was probably the hardest for me.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh no! I am so sorry, that is a very smart decision though. I know that must have been incredibly hard but I am sure you will be back in it soon enough. :(

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
No click button for sad. That was one damned difficult decision to make. You have my deepest respect.
On a selfish note, we are lessened by the loss of your ongoing experiences.

I offer a native axiom. 'We walk with the winds but cannot predict which way they will blow. We can only place one foot in front of the other and follow your heart.'

PS If you wish. If you have SE Asia natives and work out the logistics I'll see to it they are released into the wild in safe locations.

Last edited:

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got rid of all of my Androctonus, Parabuthus, and Scolopendra when I found out I had a little one on the way. I applaud your decision. It is the right one. It's just not worth the risk.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Oh no! I am so sorry, that is a very smart decision though. I know that must have been incredibly hard but I am sure you will be back in it soon enough. :(
Thank you. Yeah, it is probably take about 5 years to get to a level of financial security where I can buy the house I want with the separate room outside. But I will get there...

No click button for sad. That was one damned difficult decision to make. You have my deepest respect.
On a selfish note, we are lessened by the loss of your ongoing experiences.

I offer a native axiom. 'We walk with the winds but cannot predict which way they will blow. We can only place one foot in front of the other and follow your heart.'

PS If you wish. If you have SE Asia natives and work out the logistics I'll see to it they are released into the wild in safe locations.
Thanks mate. Your comment on my last video actually made me realize that I was taking very unnecessary risks for entertainment value and was pushing my luck. One of the kaouthia chasing me around the room also made me sure. I need more room, safer cages, safer environment and a mindset to get to basics. Thanks for your offer about the native release option. Unfortunately, these snakes are not fully fit for the native life in my opinion. They do not understand the risks humans pose to them as they identify people as providers of easy food and I do not know if they can manage finding food in nature with 100% efficiency. I have found them homes with experienced keepers where they can live the remainder of their lives. Lost half of the money that I could have made by selling them to anyone but that's ok.

I got rid of all of my Androctonus, Parabuthus, and Scolopendra when I found out I had a little one on the way. I applaud your decision. It is the right one. It's just not worth the risk.
Agreed. I am keeping a pair of Parabuthus I have but they are nothing compared to a 6ft long angry cobra.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, c'mon now, that's not the end of an era. Just a pause from my point of view. Snake keeper once, snake keeper forever. Those are things that remain chained to your soul no matter.

Then one day lol :rolleyes:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the nice words guys.

Most of the collection is gone, the monocled cobras will go in 10 days and the water cobras will remain with me. Also, I got 4 really nice non-venomous animals with the incoming cash, one being a very cool varanid so I will share those soon :).

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Thanks for the nice words guys.

Most of the collection is gone, the monocled cobras will go in 10 days and the water cobras will remain with me. Also, I got 4 really nice non-venomous animals with the incoming cash, one being a very cool varanid so I will share those soon :).
Please share haha, also are you keeping false water cobras like hydronastes gigas, or actual water cobras like naja annulata. They are both really cool species i'm just curious.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can relate even though I’m single. Having kids is a priority for some, almost socially instinctive. Imo what is important is your land/real estate because it is what allows you the freedom with your hobbies, walking away from the noise, the TV, etc. for a while. I’m in the process of moving and then later searching for the property that suits my hobbies better also, it needs to be 2-3 acres. So I am thinning out too until I get set up again as the right property allows, keeping my fav 3-4 sps. with breeding potential. I look at it this way, we need something to look forward to so you can imagine the perfect house later, setup with herp and invert shop in the back of the property ...we have to look forward to something! Oh and I 'guess' the kid is an OK thing to look forward to also haha!, don’t let your wife see this lol, I’m just joking around.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I look at it this way, we need something to look forward to so you can imagine the perfect house later, setup with herp and invert shop in the back of the property ...we have to look forward to something! Oh and I 'guess' the kid is an OK thing to look forward to also haha!, don’t let your wife see this lol, I’m just joking around.
My wife has been very supportive around this whole thing and she was OK with me keeping the animals under a locked door but I couldnt take the chance. She will not mind if I can arrange something later on.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sorry to hear it, but in the end it's a good call. It takes a hell of a lot to go through with something like that. We've all greatly enjoyed your photos and videos and can't wait for you to return once you have the time/space/money to start up again. Hope everything works out for you!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm calling it pure speculation, obviously, but this appears to be an evolution, and I am sitting on the edge of my seat in anticipation of the next incarnation.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
sorry to hear about that najakeeper, it's a tough one to make. i made a similar decision for the same reason a couple years back. given your passion, i'm sure it will only be temporary. i didn't comment much, but i surely enjoyed reading your posts on the venomous and watching the videos. i look forward to the new stuff you'll do and work with.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Sorry to hear Naj but I look forward to what you'll do next. Keep us posted bud!
sorry to hear about that najakeeper, it's a tough one to make. i made a similar decision for the same reason a couple years back. given your passion, i'm sure it will only be temporary. i didn't comment much, but i surely enjoyed reading your posts on the venomous and watching the videos. i look forward to the new stuff you'll do and work with.
Thank you very much both.