The Disappearing Millipede!

Akvaan

Arachnopeon
So the title's kind of clickbaity, but I couldn't think of what else to call this. I got 5 O. ornatus millipedes a month-and-a-half ago, and outside of the first week I haven't seen 2 of them. I stopped seeing another about 2 weeks ago (I'd see that one off-and-on every few days), and then another a few days ago (was ALWAYS on the surface as far as I could tell). Now, I know they aren't getting out, but is it normal for them to burrow for this much time? I know in the wild they burrow for 3/4 of the year just about, but idk about captivity. Like, I know they usually burrow to molt, but does a molt take 1 month+?

I figure it's nothing and I've seen advice that I'd know if there were deaths because of the smell, but I figured I'd ask instead of just stumbling in the dark.

Skreemre

Arachnopeon
I have a juvenile A.gigas I got about 2+ months ago and it's been under the substrate for a month now I'm pretty sure. I think it's normal (especially for juveniles) but I can't help worrying. As long as you don't go digging for them and keep misting and offering food they should be ok?

Dawid212

Arachnopeon
Sometimes they take a very long time to moult so it's most likely that. If they are all of similar size then it would make sense as they could be from the same batch (same age). Some species also 'hibernate' at some times of the year e.g. one winter my Madagascar Ringed millipede stayed under the substrate for months which had me worried but then he emerged like nothing happened. This behaviour is probably the most common worry of millipede keepers, but the best way to think of it is that there's no point worrying as there is nothing you can do/change anyway as changing/doing something like digging them up or changing the conditions can make the situation worse.