The common "mold/fungus" question

DratzKennedy

Arachnopeon
Whilr doing my routine check up on my collection yesterday, i noticed a small area in my s. Calceatum enclosure that seems to be having an issue with some type of fungus. I have researched this issue in the past, but because i was able to rid the older enclosure of said fungi i was no longer as concerned. Through research there were mixed reactions that i found, some people that said it was horrible for this to be in any enclosure, in small or large amounts and others that said as long as it isnt taking over the enclosure than it isnt too much of a concern. I agreed with the latter, even in the wild most of the times you flip a log you will see arachnids thriving right next to mushrooms and ither fungi, bone the less i realized that this only occured in the corner of the enclosure i kept damp for humidity. I now keep springtails in all of my enclosures and use bottle caps more and less dampening of the substrate. In all i have noticed a possitive outcome from this until yesterday when i noticed the mold/fungus that i have pictured.
My question for you guys is...should i be concerned with this fungi, or is this something that may actually help to promote life for the springtails as well as isopods i have housed with my tarantulas. Nonetheless the S. Calceatum was due for a rehouse so he/she is in a new enclosure now. But i would like to hear everyones input on the matter. Thank you (i apologize for the short story) :)

Attachments

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Not meaning to sound cynical here, honestly. These containments are attempting to emulate the natural habitat of certain animals. Many of these habitats are some portion or slice of the detritus layers.

So in effect what people want is a synthetic detritus environment without the key primary organisms, molds and fungi, being present.

DratzKennedy

Arachnopeon
Not cynical at all, I want to learn as much as possible..... So what you are saying is that while i want to simulate the natural habitat of each specimen, it is not truly their natural habitat, only a containment, so the process of eleminating any waste, debri, or unwanted orginasms wont be as it would in the wild.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Everyone simulates a natural environment. That is what the lions share of posts on AB are about. How to suppress the chaos factor and maintain some sort of order. All about a careful juggling-balancing act. Sterilizing the substrate and removing the waste and debris pretty much mandatory. The average terrarium is basically a mold and fungus factory. The age old 'life doesn't live in a vacuum.

I constantly point this out to people, who groan when they see another post of mine. I live between a recovering rain forest and rice fields in the tropics and it's an ongoing day to day challenge to keep the outdoors from moving inside. I'm in the process of replacing 2 doors right now that are demanding they become part of the detritus layer. IE, we lost the battle against organisms, molds and fungi. I'll put them out on the yard and between the termites and what-have-you they won't last a month even though they have 6 coats of water proofing.