The Colony and the Scorpion

gataloco

Arachnopeon
I am interested in information about scorpions you can house in a colony. I have a small colony of Centruroides exilicauda and would like to get more information about other species that can be housed together. I have five 10 gallon tanks and three 20 gallon tanks which I think would be perfect for some nice colonies.

Thanks, Fred

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
use the search engine on the forum to check for Babycurus jackoni's...nice, dark rusty red coloring with orangish stripes and chocolate dipped claws :)

http://www.visualadvance.com/invertcare/caresheets/scorpions/Babycurus/Babycurusjacksoni.html

other Centuroides species as well...

Vaejovis (sp?) are also supposed to be pretty interesting

pictures of some of the those species are available on the same site as the B. jackoni's I linked to (I have 5 currently), easiest to look under the "care sheets" using scientific names.

Mine weren't nearly as active as I had hoped until I changed their substrate from "Jungle Mix" (small chunks of wood mixed with dirt, peat, and some other stuff...) to regular peat moss I bought at Home Depot. There's a picture of my old setup in the enclosures sticky at the top of this forum. When i changed the substrate I also vastly simplified the decorations removing the flat rock and the thing with the fake green plants on it. Took the wood looking piece and turned it on it's side and sunk it in to the peat moss a little bit so they had something to hide under and climb on occasionally. You'll hear people say that these are climbers but I've not really noticed that although I've only had mine for about 2 months now. ONCE in a while I'll notice them off the ground but they seem to prefer to hide in little scrapes they make or occasionally sit out in the open.

I don't have any firsthand info on the other genus', plenty of others here do. But seriously check the search engine (almost at the top of the page in 14 size bold font on the right)...while you wait for people to reply you'll find a TON of information. Probably enough to answer most of your question actually lol

azztigma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can also keep Pandinus, Heterometrus, perhaps Scorpio maurus, and maybe Hadrurus(not 100% sure here)...

but even still, you will almost surely have a few deaths, also depends on how big of a colony you decide to make. But just be prepared to have deaths, you may even have one "tough" scorp that eats every other scorp in the colony...so just be prepared for that...

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a colony of C vittatus. I have about 2 dozen in a large tank, they hide between cork bark, inside log, and generally get along fine with eachother. The only times I've witnessed them showing agression toward one another is when they have young on their back, or when a larger one wants to get where a smaller one is perched. I've never seen one attack another, most of the time they simply feel around and touch palps and move on.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
azztigma said:
You can also keep Pandinus, Heterometrus, perhaps Scorpio maurus, and maybe Hadrurus(not 100% sure here)...
there are a couple members here who have kept 2 or 3 Hadrurus' together with good success, but I think the general consensus is those are the exceptions to the rule. Unless you're up for some experimenting I'd stick with the species more known for being communal.

el_barto

Arachnopeon
I have read that you can house several H. Hottentotta together, if you provide enough food and hides. I have never tried it myself, but it seems reasonnable to me as my own specimen spends all its time hiding, so they probably won't meet very often.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
el_barto said:
I have read that you can house several H. Hottentotta together, if you provide enough food and hides..
I believe that was also what Kugellager (sp?) said about his communal experiment with the Hadrurus'...i can see it working if there's plenty of space so they won't always be in contact, but they do wander a lot

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
theyll fight at first contact, thats the crucial stage,
once they are done with the power sharing, it will be alot more calm, less fighing, but maybe still a bit

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
You can keep Hadrurus spp. together provided they are well fed and have sufficient noumber of hides...though I have seen the share hides...I have kept them together without incident...though that may not always be the case.

The communality experiment edesign is referring to was that I experimented in keeping two different species (H.arizonensis and H.spadix) in the same communal enclosure...this was also successful...I kept them together as I would several H.arizonensis. I actually observed them both digging the same burrow at one point.

Link To Communality Experiment:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=1409&highlight=communality

In the end both died in their burrows due to excessive humidity.

John
];')

Last edited:

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kugellager said:
The communality experiment edesign is referring to was that I experimented in keeping two different species (H.arizonensis and H.spadix) in the same communal enclosure...this was also successful...I kept them together as I would several H.arizonensis. I actually observed them both digging the same burrow at one point.

];')

Hey Kugellager. Given that these 2 species are generally found in the same habitats in the USA is why I am guessing they can survive communally as you have said. Have you tried this with species who live in similar climates (temp, humidity, light cycle) but don't live in the same places?

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
NYbirdEater said:
Hey Kugellager. Given that these 2 species are generally found in the same habitats in the USA is why I am guessing they can survive communally as you have said.
This is the exact premise I used to test my theory...plus they are very closely related species.

I have not tried this with other species that live in similar habitats but in different areas because IMO they would be too far apart/different. I think it worked well with these species because thay are closely related.

I have heard of more than one person keeping P.imperator and Hadrurus spp. together communally...I suspect this happens quite frequently in the pet trade as well due to misidentification...

John
];')

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Kugellager said:
I have heard of more than one person keeping P.imperator and Hadrurus spp. together communally...

EH!!!?? you ACTUALLY mean hadrurus!!?
sheesh,
and they lived side by side in peace?

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i keep two H. arizonensis in a 10 gallon, one is a fully matured male and the other is about 2 inches, unsexed.

they've been living fine with each other for about 3 weeks now, and have even shared burrows.

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
G. Carnell said:
EH!!!?? you ACTUALLY mean hadrurus!!?
sheesh,
and they lived side by side in peace?
OOPS! A big oops on my part...I meant Pandinus and HETEROMETRUS spp.

Sorry about that. :(

John
];')