The Churping!!!!!

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think the smell comes from the droppings that doesn't have the right condition to rot properly. I have tried all kinds of substrates with crickets and I found that egg cartons smell the worst and peatmoss-dirt mixture hardly have any smell. I think this is because the droppings can rot with the nitrogen being absorbed into the dirt.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Next time you buy some at the pet store just ask for females.
oddly enough i work at a petstore, and when i get my crix i only pick out the males. i do this because in the past ive had problems with those egglaying females. id look in one day and see a bunch of lil pinheads everywhere. problem solved with only males, and like spider hunter i rather enjoy the chirping while i sleep, although bridget doesnt allow me to keep them in the bedroom, so i cant enjoy that anymore;) .

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lycanthrope
oddly enough i work at a petstore, and when i get my crix i only pick out the males. i do this because in the past ive had problems with those egglaying females. id look in one day and see a bunch of lil pinheads everywhere. problem solved with only males, and like spider hunter i rather enjoy the chirping while i sleep, although bridget doesnt allow me to keep them in the bedroom, so i cant enjoy that anymore;) .
Now we know why your crix are all gay. You never let them have any other option.;P

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Bjorgly,

Yeah you have it reversed. The males are the ones making all the racket to attract the females for a naughty evening...er few seconds of fun.

Lycanthrope,
I do the same thing. I don't need useless pinheads running around my H.spinifer(scorp) or my P.irminia tanks.

Another useless tidbit about crickets. The chirp rate increases as the temperature rises. Sopposedly if you are observant in the summer months you should be able to get a good idea of how warm it is by the listening to the chrip rate. I haven't actually tried this but I have noticed that when it is cool they chirp at a slower rate.

john
];')

Last edited:

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
OHHHHHH Ok, thanks. How do you tell males from females?

Thanks,

Mark

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
The famales have a long ovipositor sticking straight out the back end that is about 1/4-1/2 inch long...the males do not.

< Male

<- Female

John
];')

Last edited: