1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews & reports. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
    Dismiss Notice

The Biology of Spiders - Rainer Foelix

Discussion in 'Book and Magazine Reviews' started by conipto, Nov 2, 2003.

1. conipto

conipto ArachnoPrincess Old Timer

Advertisement
    Positive

This is a pretty good, in depth book on general spider biology. It's a bit outdated, and doesn't go too into Theraphosids, but still has a ton of usefull info in it. There are a few inaccuracies, and the use of the word poison gets a bit annoying after a while. Still, reports of various experiments are well cited, and it doesn't require a Ph.D to understand the verbage. It also isn't too dry as far as textbook type material goes, and I managed to read it cover to cover without really losing interest.

I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet.

Bill

2. This is a very good book on spiders in general. It is a more technical book compared to most hobby books. Goes great with "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide".

Scott

3. Nerri1029

Nerri1029 Chief Cook n Bottlewasher Old Timer

I'm reading the second edition... which isn't too old.. But COMPREHENSIVE..

not for the casual reader.. be prepared to get out your biology books/ dictionary :)

Not aimed at Tarantulas specifically but spiders in general.

<edit> But because of T's usually diff anatomy they are covered some.

The amount of information is massive.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  4. syndicate

syndicate Arachnoemperor Old Timer

USA
    i think its a great book.one of the best on the subject that ive seen at least.if u wanna learn more about arachnids i wouldnt hesitate in buying this one

5. tarantula3898

tarantula3898 Arachnopeon

I have had this book for years and think it is the most in depth book I have come across yet.

6. freedumbdclxvi

freedumbdclxvi Arachnoprince

So Fla
    I recently got this book, and I have to say it is well worth owning.