The Bhut Jolokia

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anybody growing these? I started mine in early spring indoors then moved them out into 5 gal pots. I was getting pessimistic about them for quite some time because they were not growing much, just throwing out a few huge leaves at a time but super slowly. Then here in the last month they just started going insane! First they grew really stout and now they are putting on some length and extra nodes. I would say they have probably grown almost 1 1/2 ft. in the past couple weeks alone.

My optimism is growing now because they are all started to show blooms! The only thing I have noted is that some of the leaves have become torn. They do not look unhealthy by any means but I was curious if it was something they were known to do?

I have them grown in a home-made soil composition that I used for peppers, which is a mix of organic composted manure and barks, vermiculite, and a couple other things, all organic. I have been using fish emulsion and magnesium sulfate on them periodically and also using bone meal regularly primarily as a source of calcium, but also for phosphate.

Two of my plants are about 2' tall and 2' wide, then the other three are about the same size. They are all showing heavy veg growth still and I am hoping I have enough time left in the season to grow out some nice peppers.

Anybody growing these? Any advice?

zorora

Arachnopeon
My brother grows them, he make a bunch of different hot sauces and uses all homegrown organic peppers.
I prefer fatali peppers and yellow habs, the flavor is amazing, definitely my all time favorite. I grow a couple of each every year, I usually start my seeds early February and start getting fruit towards the end of summer, I'm in San Diego though.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My brother grows them, he make a bunch of different hot sauces and uses all homegrown organic peppers.
I prefer fatali peppers and yellow habs, the flavor is amazing, definitely my all time favorite. I grow a couple of each every year, I usually start my seeds early February and start getting fruit towards the end of summer, I'm in San Diego though.
That is what I was planning to do this year was to make home-made organic salsa from my plants. I have some orange jubilee tomatoes going, some better boy tomatoes, herbs, and I had some yellow habaneros going and others but they unfortunately bit the dust from the root maggots :(.

Out of what I have left I think I can still make some interesting salsa, but I was hoping to have a wide variety of peppers which is unfortunately not going to be the case. The fatali pepper sounds interesting to me, never heard of that before. I like peppers with a lot of kick but I like the flavor also.

I had some Bolivian rainbow peppers that I gave to a friend and he grew them out indoor hydroponically and I had a chance to taste them and they were really nice tasting. I have never been a fan of hot peppers with little to no taste.

I was under the impression that the Bhut Jolokia peppers have a nice tangy/fruity taste to them before the burn kicks in so I have been excited about trying them and seeing what they are all about. The heat level of these is a bit intimidating though lol

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Jade, Bhut jolokia grow pretty slow. being that your up north you might not actually get to see as many peppers as us down here do.

I start mine in early spring(febuary- march) and they start getting pods around august which ripen in late aug, or early sept.

Normally they take around 7 months to produce, and need HOT HOT heat.

Also Fatali are one of my favorite peppers.

Very fruity tasting, a little citrus and really hot.Well for most. to me there average.

I never got a chance to make any salsa with mine though, as I couldnt stop eating the raw pods they tasted so good.

here are a few pods from last year.

from left to right- Bhut jolokia, Naga morich, scotch bonnet, fatalli, thai hot's, and bolivian rainbow.

Also if you havent already, you might check out

Thehotpepper.com

Great site!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I never got a chance to make any salsa with mine though, as I couldnt stop eating the raw pods they tasted so good.
:eek:

I pride myself on being able to eat extremely hot food, but the last time I tried to eat a whole habanero pepper, I burped the thing back up before it even got to my stomach...which stung my throat and caused me to have some pretty violent hiccups for quite a while.

Thehotpepper.com

Great site!
Thanks for the website. I like this one too: http://www.thechileman.org/

I started some cayenne peppers last year indoors and they produced ok. I put them outside this year and they've produced a lot more.

I also started some demon-red seeds (dwarf ornamental) and a habanero seed and I'm going to try to get some cross pollination action going on with them to satisfy my curiosity.

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had no idea so many people grew hot peppers. I'm currently growing thai sun, Bhut jolokia, Cayenne, Anaheim, Florescent purple, Orange and Congo brown habaneros. I start my seeds between February-March usually, but I'm planning on starting a tad bit earlier using a led powered grow light, so when summer comes around the peppers will be near maturity. If anyone would like to trade seeds, let me know, those fatalli sound pretty awesome.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am growing Hab's and Jalepeno's in 5 gallon buckets,and so far so good. When I lived in Illinois I would plant all my peppers in an outdoor garden in April,and by August I would be wishing I did not plant so darn many. I learned the hard way why you do not plant 16 Habanero,8 Jalepeno's,and 8 Thai pepper( and others I am forgetting) plants all at once......I literally had bushels full of peppers that the neighbors wanted NOTHING to do with.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had no idea so many people grew hot peppers. I'm currently growing thai sun, Bhut jolokia, Cayenne, Anaheim, Florescent purple, Orange and Congo brown habaneros. I start my seeds between February-March usually, but I'm planning on starting a tad bit earlier using a led powered grow light, so when summer comes around the peppers will be near maturity. If anyone would like to trade seeds, let me know, those fatalli sound pretty awesome.
Be carefull using grow lights to start plants. it can make them burn up as soon as they are put outdoors.(I learned from experience). I had over 100 plants last year I started inside, by the time i put them out they were about half grown. even subjecting them to small amounts of sun for periods of time during the day they burnt up.

Also check out " thehippyseedcompany.com" Neil is a great guy to deal with! also check his pepper reviews on youtube!

:eek:

I pride myself on being able to eat extremely hot food, but the last time I tried to eat a whole habanero pepper, I burped the thing back up before it even got to my stomach...which stung my throat and caused me to have some pretty violent hiccups for quite a while.
You eat enough peppers like I do, and you build a tolerance. You will always get hiccups with most spicy foods. thats inevitable.

Fatalli are actually in the habenero family, but they are from Africa.

I am growing Hab's and Jalepeno's in 5 gallon buckets,and so far so good. When I lived in Illinois I would plant all my peppers in an outdoor garden in April,and by August I would be wishing I did not plant so darn many. I learned the hard way why you do not plant 16 Habanero,8 Jalepeno's,and 8 Thai pepper( and others I am forgetting) plants all at once......I literally had bushels full of peppers that the neighbors wanted NOTHING to do with.
Try growing over 100 plants at a time..lol

I will see if I cant find my pepper thread from last year. this year, the weather didnt allow me to put out a garden(non stop rain/flooding) so I couldnt till the garnden...it was mud soup...

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

here is a link to last years thread.

2010 pepper thread here

Also you will be surprised at how many member grow hot peppers here.

Steven Valys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hope you guys and gals are isolating your pepper species. Peppers are extremely easy to cross-pollinate, 600' is recommended. If you can eat a Bhut pod like candy, it's not mature or pure. Why bother with the jolokia, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T strain is where the heats at.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You eat enough peppers like I do, and you build a tolerance. You will always get hiccups with most spicy foods. thats inevitable.
At the time I had decided to try the habanero, I had been popping those bird's eye peppers that you can get at Thai restaurants like they were candy and had been told several years previously that they were tied with habaneros as the hottest pepper.

I took the hiccups as my body's way of telling me that I was lied to and that I probably didn't want to feel the habanero coming out the other way...

zorora

Arachnopeon
codykrr, I was checking out last years thread, it looks like your using peat pots to seed your peppers, I believe its the PH in the peat that will give you a lower seed propagation, try getting away from any peat during your seeding and I think you have better results.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I hope you guys and gals are isolating your pepper species. Peppers are extremely easy to cross-pollinate, 600' is recommended. If you can eat a Bhut pod like candy, it's not mature or pure. Why bother with the jolokia, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T strain is where the heats at.
seeds are cheap enough to buy I dont worry about it. Though if I was to use plants for seeding purposed I would seperate them. Also I said I was pop fatalli like candy...not bhuts.

codykrr, I was checking out last years thread, it looks like your using peat pots to seed your peppers, I believe its the PH in the peat that will give you a lower seed propagation, try getting away from any peat during your seeding and I think you have better results.
I never had a single problem germinating or getting seeds...peat moss works just fine to start plants in as it retains moisture better, and provides less chance for root rot. its light enough to let the roots become more formed early on.

I grow outdoors anyway, i only start them in 12 oz drinking cups. then they get transferred outside.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Since we are on the topic of hot peppers and I don't know that I should start a new thread, so:

What's up with jalapenos? They aren't anywhere near cayenne peppers on the scoville chart, but I've frequently have had ones that that were hotter than any cayenne pepper that I've had.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
depending on how much water..ect a plant gets it can make peppers stressed out which makes them produce more capsicum.

I have had Jalapeno's as hot as hab's. no lie!

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ha,I have as well.Hold back water and expose them to more light and intense heat and you have a recipe for disaster with jalapeno's. I have noticed this to work BEST with jalapeno's as well. I love HOT foods,but I have grown a few batches of jalapeno's that more or less were just given away or trashed because they ruined whatever food they were used in.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am growing Orange Hobenaros, and I have eaten two, sliced very thin with melted cheese on a tortilla...was amazigly hot in the mouth, burned my lips for minutes, but had great flavor, and shockingly no "other end effects" shockingly enough. I did feel great for about 24 hours though, also have some chillis outside.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I used to enjoy dicing a habanero really small and mixing into german chocolate icing and putting on some brownies.

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
I used to enjoy dicing a habanero really small and mixing into german chocolate icing and putting on some brownies.
that actually sounds very good, just something u threw together or was a recipe involved? i can't bake for <poop> but i love to cook. i might have to try it out

Last edited by a moderator:

zorora

Arachnopeon
Habanero fudge is awesome! Got to use good habs though, no store bought junk.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jade, Bhut jolokia grow pretty slow. being that your up north you might not actually get to see as many peppers as us down here do.

I start mine in early spring(febuary- march) and they start getting pods around august which ripen in late aug, or early sept.

Normally they take around 7 months to produce, and need HOT HOT heat.

Also Fatali are one of my favorite peppers.

Very fruity tasting, a little citrus and really hot.Well for most. to me there average.

here are a few pods from last year.

from left to right- Bhut jolokia, Naga morich, scotch bonnet, fatalli, thai hot's, and bolivian rainbow.

Thehotpepper.com

Great site!

I was just checking out a UK blog about growing naga viper, bhut jolokia, fatalli, and a few others. I really want to grow those fatalli, they are on my list for next years grow for sure :)

My one set of bhut jolokia are in pre-flower, they have grown decently sized and I have them planted in a garden now with some yellow habs. I am hoping they cross so next year I can experiment with the cross a bit.

My patio organic bhut jolokia are just going insane! I put some bone meal on them while they were in preflower and now I have 12 flowers well developed flowers and counting. I know people have had a lot of issues growing bhut jolokia but I have high hopes for mine. I plan on taking them inside over the winter and bringing them back every year, I want a 5 year old bhut jolokia tree ;)

Next year is going to be insanity, I am going to start very early in the year growing all my hot peppers indoors and then plant them outside in a large garden. I want to grow around 200 plants next year, but might go for some trinidad scorpions or naga vipers... not sure yet? Fatalli are going to be out there for sure though, they look fantastic and I hear that they yield well.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Here is a crappy pic of my bhut jolokia taken a week or two ago with my cell phone. I am gonna take another pic today for comparison.