The Beauty of Samar Cobras!

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Are yours anything like Viperkeeper's in temperament?
Yeah, they are all natural born A**holes. One friend used to say that if these were 6ft instead of 3ft, all animal life would have evolved from them :).

The only difference with me and Al is that Al keeps them in small non-transparent racks and they don't see him much so they are even more aggressive towards him. Mine are bit more used to me as they see me everyday from their large naturalistic terrariums.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
The male got a nose rub from striking and rubbing at the glass door.

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/1359/4x87aT.jpg

I have put some antibiotic cream on the wound and covered the cage with cloth so he doesn't see outside. This has never happened to my snakes in all these years so any input about what else I can do for him is appreciated.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I'vea couple retics do that. I tend to keep them a bit drier than usual, clean it up, and up feeding a bit to get a shed orntwo in to clear it up.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The male got a nose rub from striking and rubbing at the glass door.

I have put some antibiotic cream on the wound and covered the cage with cloth so he doesn't see outside. This has never happened to my snakes in all these years so any input about what else I can do for him is appreciated.
If you can narrow it down to a single cause or motivating factor, could you post it? There are several snakes at the farm that do this habitually. Why they initially started is a mystery. A female O. Hannah, a female Burm, a tree viper - sex unk, and a couple of Kaouthai. Moving the kaouthai to the large communal enclosure didn't help as they would rub away at the concrete wall. Isolating the Burm helped, but no idea why. Covered the viper pen (complete darkness) for several days and relocated it helped though it still strikes at the glass occasionally. Hannah quit on her own, again unknown why.
Once they quit a shed or two gets them pretty well fixed though if the underlying tissue gets really deformed it can be permanent.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
If you can narrow it down to a single cause or motivating factor, could you post it? There are several snakes at the farm that do this habitually. Why they initially started is a mystery. A female O. Hannah, a female Burm, a tree viper - sex unk, and a couple of Kaouthai. Moving the kaouthai to the large communal enclosure didn't help as they would rub away at the concrete wall. Isolating the Burm helped, but no idea why. Covered the viper pen (complete darkness) for several days and relocated it helped though it still strikes at the glass occasionally. Hannah quit on her own, again unknown why.
Once they quit a shed or two gets them pretty well fixed though if the underlying tissue gets really deformed it can be permanent.
I can think of a few things:

a-In the previous owner's place, this guy was kept in a tiny enclosure but with a lot of fake foliage. Now, he is in a large enclosure with less foliage naturally, which might have stressed him.
b-In the previous owner's place, he was kept in a quite area, now he is in the center of the snake room so , being an a**hole Samar cobra, he strikes at the glass anytime he sees me.
c-His environment is very naturalistic, which attracts harmless bugs and he may be trying to rub them off. I am going to stop spraying the cage a bit to kill of some of the fauna inside.

So, I am just keeping him covered for now to see if that will help. I snuck a peek a couple times and he seems to be calmer. I will take him out again on wednesday, do a check and apply some antibiotics. Currently, underlying tissue is intact so if he stops, he should heal well but if he doesn't he can rub it down to do bone, which won't heal well. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
So I took him out yesterday to put some more medication on. Seems like the wound scabbed very well, these is no bleeding so covering his cage helped. He doesn't seem to be rubbing his nose now.

Pinning these guys is terribly difficult though, took 10 mins of adrenalin fueled excitement yesterday. They fight fang and scale (tooth and nail/fang and scale, get it?)... I think I have destroyed the tiny amount of trust we had.

Last edited:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
The Samars are up from a month long pre-breeding brumation and they are hungry! They ate two small rats each and asked for more.

Here is a video:

[YOUTUBE]dkHD3w-vCEQ[/YOUTUBE]

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Hi Guys,

So breeding attempt is fully on.

The male seems crazy interested but the female doesn't seem to care much. Yet, they might have already mated, we will see soon...

[YOUTUBE]9OlYePuq9cg[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Snark, for some reason your last post is deleted but anyway, it is not hannah's only unfortunately. They are doing it with a bunch of venomous snakes including kraits.

Here are some *examples:

*Dislaimer: Non of these animals are mine. I am just reposting some pictures which was shared publicly by other individuals. Venomous snakes should not be free-handled by anyone.

Well considering that coral snake was likely dying its understandble that they could get away with free handling that, even Al (Viperkeeper) cannot keep them alive for long even with force feeding, they even refused dead baby cornsnakes.

As for the rest yeah free handling does nothing but damage the hobby and makes proper hot keepers look bad.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I thought my 8 years old female Samar Cobra could handle a quail but it turns out she cant :) :

[YOUTUBE]DeQpBOONKYg[/YOUTUBE]

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I keep them because they interest me. I will breed them as well but that's a part of my interest more than the potential financial benefit.

I don't milk them because:

-Stressful for the snake
-Stressful and dangerous for the keeper
-No lab will buy venom from me

I am glad you guys like them. Samar cobras were in my list since 2003. I was in the US back than and there were only a few available with a price tag of 6k for a pair of babies! I am glad I live in a country where I can buy a full grown pair for less than a k.
I agree but why no lab will buy the venom from you?

The Snark

Old Timer
Because my house does not meet the expected sterility standards that a European venom research facility would expect.
Jumping through hoops of fire? Drop sinks. NSF or equiv approved wall coverings and splash guards and so on? I understand it's about the same as government sponsored and certified food production facilities.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Because my house does not meet the expected sterility standards that a European venom research facility would expect.
I see. But let me say that i've seen hospitals here less clean than your house, ah ah. Btw i recognize you.. you have a YT channel.. you are a Galatasaray S.K supporter?
I remember Fatih Terim, A.C Milan coach back then :-O

---------- Post added 06-09-2015 at 05:29 PM ----------

You have amazing great snakes, man. You have balls.. while i'm fascinated by Cobra (i have a Naja naja tattoo) in general, i would never, never, never have the courage to own one on my home.
Take my hat off.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
I see. But let me say that i've seen hospitals here less clean than your house, ah ah. ...
Don't be fooled. Hospitals that don't restrict casual visitors access are filthy. The only thing that keeps them from being disease propagators is the continual efforts of housekeeping and their protocols, policies and procedures. Labs on the other hand usually restrict access and constantly monitor potential disease and contamination sources.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Don't be fooled. Hospitals that don't restrict casual visitors access are filthy. The only thing that keeps them from being disease propagators is the continual efforts of housekeeping and their protocols, policies and procedures. Labs on the other hand usually restrict access and constantly monitor potential disease and contamination sources.
I know Sir. That was just for say (even if we know it's true about hospitals) i know that labs are a sort of "Star Trek/Resident Evil/Don't enter unless you pass through a 90° boiled complete wash" areas. Just that, me, being an idiot, have a part of me who thinks that when it comes to venom, and rare animals venom, all the available help should be considered important, but there's those standards to deal with.

The Snark

Old Timer
An anecdote. I still have a chuckle over it. Went to work at Cal Tech one day and was told we were working in the isolation lab. Full protective suit up in clean room and the whole pile of foof. Made work impossible. Asked the lab tech WTF when he finally came in. No, we weren't doing anything different. The idiots down at the end of the hall just got some plutonium to play with and the place hadn't yet been cleared for contamination. The protective suits were gratis from taxpayer $$$ required by the Feds according to some protocol.
I'm sure the rat liver DNA appreciated the extra care and attention that day.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
:D

Yeah, I have worked in a genetics lab where I was doing bacterial genetics research and my room is not at that standard even though I keep it clean.

If someone approaches me for venom of any of the snakes I have with legitimate need, I will gladly help out and take them to a research facility where we can get this done properly.

But my main aversion to milking for venom is, I don't want to put the animals and myself under stress just for cash.

The Snark

Old Timer
:D

Yeah, I have worked in a genetics lab where I was doing bacterial genetics research and my room is not at that standard even though I keep it clean.

If someone approaches me for venom of any of the snakes I have with legitimate need, I will gladly help out and take them to a research facility where we can get this done properly.

But my main aversion to milking for venom is, I don't want to put the animals and myself under stress just for cash.
I recall one paper published on the life span and reproductive ability of snakes kept specifically for venom extraction. I'm sure there are several similar papers as you have ideal circumstances to establish an analysis. My recollection is fuzzy but all milked snakes suffered some degree of stress but some far more than others. Shortened life span was common and predictable with all of them but reproduction varied widely from species to species. If memory serves, O Hannah would not reproduce at all at one end of the spectrum and certain crotalids were entirely unaffected.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I recall one paper published on the life span and reproductive ability of snakes kept specifically for venom extraction. I'm sure there are several similar papers as you have ideal circumstances to establish an analysis. My recollection is fuzzy but all milked snakes suffered some degree of stress but some far more than others. Shortened life span was common and predictable with all of them but reproduction varied widely from species to species. If memory serves, O Hannah would not reproduce at all at one end of the spectrum and certain crotalids were entirely unaffected.
Yeah, especially shy snakes, who live in the rain forest canopy get really stressed out. Asian Coral Snakes are a great example.

In the meantime, here is a new video of the female Samar:

here is a video of my female Samar Cobra:

[YOUTUBE]z-FXHJR2vGM[/YOUTUBE]