that was a close one!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I’m not sure but he may be referencing the native adders in Europe?
Of course :)

You mentioned vipers and jumped on my head an idea of mine that I have since forever... northern Italy woods are full of vipers, with three species. But the one I love is V.ursinii (living in central Italy), CITES protected, but amazing.

Too bad you can't keep venomous snakes here, uhm... but a Jute sack :angelic: :troll:

schmiggle

Arachnoking
To my mind, the venomous snake process should be something like the falconry process: you start off with a relatively easy, widespread native species (like a copperhead or timber rattlesnake--this would vary by region, of of course), you train for a while with an experienced keeper, and once they think you're ready you get a permit and you can keep other things. In general, though, people should be allowed to keep venomous snakes. They own all sorts of far more dangerous things already, like cars and guns.

NYAN

Arachnoking
To my mind, the venomous snake process should be something like the falconry process: you start off with a relatively easy, widespread native species (like a copperhead or timber rattlesnake--this would vary by region, of of course), you train for a while with an experienced keeper, and once they think you're ready you get a permit and you can keep other things. In general, though, people should be allowed to keep venomous snakes. They own all sorts of far more dangerous things already, like cars and guns.
I think I agree with everything said here.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I just think there should be some sort of licensing and recordkeeping when animals are kept that could pose a threat to other human beings.
Only one law is needed, aside from protecting animals from abuse. Something roughly the opposite of the Reasonable Person Doctrine. Keep -any- dangerous animal, said keeper is 100% responsible and liable if a stupid comes down in any way, shape or form. Animals never get put down for aggressiveness but the keepers can be locked up and held responsible for the animals well being for the rest of it's life.

No, I'm not extremist. Humans know better and thus the onus is entirely on them.

Last edited:

NYAN

Arachnoking
haha, I knew what he meant, just kidding around, :troll:
Man we all like to pick on Chris.

Only one law is needed, aside from protecting animals from abuse. Something roughly the opposite of the Reasonable Person Doctrine. Keep -any- dangerous animal, said keeper is 100% responsible and liable if a stupid comes down in any way, shape or form. Animals never get put down for aggressiveness but the keepers can be locked up and held responsible for the animals well being for the rest of it's life.

I totally agree! If someone runs someone over they are responsible, not the car, the same should be for dogs, fish, giraffes, snails whatever. If you are negligent and cause injury to someone and the law decides so, you should be held responsible.

schmiggle

Arachnoking

No, I'm not extremist. Humans know better and thus the onus is entirely on them.
Generally speaking this makes sense. My only concern would be invasive species. Obviously this is still caused by irresponsible people, but suppose you could trace who first released an invasive species, as you sometimes can. Would it be legal for everyone harmed to sue?