Thamnophis sp

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Anyone here that keeps or has kept Thamnophis species, especially the more resiliant beginnerspecies? I'm looking into maybe keeping one and am curious to know your experiences :)

buzz182

Arachnosquire
I had a Thamnophis radix as a child beautiful snakes and was fairly easy to care for compared to other animals I had at the time. Anything specific you would like to know.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I had a Thamnophis radix as a child beautiful snakes and was fairly easy to care for compared to other animals I had at the time. Anything specific you would like to know.
I'm looking at T.sauritus as a first (ever) snake, do you know some specifics about this species?

We´re not allowed to keep them in Norway. We can keep boa constrictors or green tree pythons, though, so it makes no sense...
That must be one of the most political incongruities I've read in a long time. The only reason I can think of to prohibit keeping this genus is maybe that some of the species can survive and thrive in the wild and could be a threat to native wildlife?
They're native to as high north as Canada so the southern part of Norway would be doable for them to establish themselves.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
That must be one of the most political incongruities I've read in a long time. The only reason I can think of to prohibit keeping this genus is maybe that some of the species can survive and thrive in the wild and could be a threat to native wildlife?
They're native to as high north as Canada so the southern part of Norway would be doable for them to establish themselves.
Maybe that´s their reason, but it still doesn´t make much sense. You can keep them in Sweden and they haven´t established themselves in the wild there, so there´s no reason to think that they would here either.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Maybe that´s their reason, but it still doesn´t make much sense. You can keep them in Sweden and they haven´t established themselves in the wild there, so there´s no reason to think that they would here either.
Wildlife politics have never struck me as having much sense :rofl:

They're kind of hard to get a hold of here from reputable breeders, or so it seems. Apparently 'keeping snakes' means you have or want either a Boa, a Python, a Cornsnake, or a viper species....

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Found one! :happy:

She'll be arriving tomorrow, 25cm of cute T.marcianus! I'm stoked, finally I get to keep a snake! She's a beauty:
IMG-20181026-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
How is she doing ?
She's doing good, from what I can tell. Feeding, pooping, swimming like a champ :happy:

She shed her skin last week as well, with no trouble at all. A bit skittish when handled, that's all. Not that I plan on handling her frequently, but I needed to see if all the skin came off alright and she pooped on me, lol.
She also tried to pass as a rattle snake, flicking her tail against the sides of her quarantine tub when I went in to pick her up. Fascinating behaviour!

She's preferring a cooler spot in her tub more and more though so maybe I should let her go in brumation, if only for a couple of weeks. I read on Steven Bol's page that he hibernates young snakes as well, but for a shorter amount of time. I'll keep track of her behaviour to see if she needs to. She's still feeding so far. :smug: