Text from a fb group. I've lost faith in humanity!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What are your thoughts on this??
I wish she would swim with a great white shark, or handle a black mamba. She's stupid, and the only reason she's still alive today is by advanced society. If this was "cave man" days, some mammal would have picked her off by now.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Bold of you to assume it would take an animate object to take her out.
"People always say not to touch poison ivy . Pft . My astrology sign said it is very for migrains. With these kids I need it! So I am going to eat poison ivy ! Time to feel better ."
Edit: There were supposed to be a bunch of pointless emojis. Guess they did not show through.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Strongly disagree with this. If an animal under my care is hurt and/or dying and there's something I can do to save it, I feel like it's my responsibility to do what I can. Some instances yes, there's nothing you can do, but other cases intervention has saved a T's life - patching ruptured abdomens for example. I've seen Ts pull through what otherwise would have been a death sentence because of this.

That being said, for something non-fatal like an injured leg, yes, just let the T do its thing.
I sounded kinda harsh! I didnt mean that you gonna let your T die without doing anything. What i meant was that if you are uncertain how to treat the spider, maybe in some cases you let your tarantula take care of it. In many cases the tarantula "can fix itself" rather that, than somebody without a clue, in panic trying to fix the tarantula with some "house cure" that are going to make things worse! But i understand that you wanna do everything you can to help the animal! If one is sure what to do in certain situation, sure go ahead but sometimes maybe the spider better than the human know what to do!?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I sounded kinda harsh! I didnt mean that you gonna let your T die without doing anything. What i meant was that if you are uncertain how to treat the spider, maybe in some cases you let your tarantula take care of it. In many cases the tarantula "can fix itself" rather that, than somebody without a clue, in panic trying to fix the tarantula with some "house cure" that are going to make things worse! But i understand that you wanna do everything you can to help the animal!
Ah, a simple misunderstanding then. Glad to have that cleared up! I can agree with that sentiment, no point in needlessly stressing the animal and potentially making matters worse.

Sometimes inaction is the correct course of action.

Arterion86

Arachnopeon
I’m tempted to believe that fb post was part attention-seeking, part stupidity. I avoid fb groups like the plague because they’re often full of stuff, like this, which just enraged me.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Saw someone on a FB group state that they like holding their tarantulas, because of how much it annoys some people in the hobby. While I worry for the animals in their spiteful care, I don’t bother arguing with people about it. All we can do is do our best to promote responsible keeping, to the best of our knowledge. With time, hopefully people will become more aware of the risks and selfishness of handling.

It’ll never be eradicated, as even with the plethora of information available on owning a dog, I still see dog owners doing things that are downright stupid. @Chris LXXIX was right when he said tarantulas weren’t for everyone.

Phia

Arachnopeon
TO BE FAIR that is the consistent question I get when I say I keep tarantulas. Everyone wants to know if I pet them or hold them or teach them tricks and the easiest comparison I can draw is to fish! You don’t train or pet fish. You feed them and look at them now and again and think to yourself “that’s a nice fish”

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
TO BE FAIR that is the consistent question I get when I say I keep tarantulas. Everyone wants to know if I pet them or hold them or teach them tricks and the easiest comparison I can draw is to fish! You don’t train or pet fish. You feed them and look at them now and again and think to yourself “that’s a nice fish”
Except that there are some weirdos who do actually try to train and/or pet their fish. :rofl:

cold blood

Staff member
TO BE FAIR that is the consistent question I get when I say I keep tarantulas. Everyone wants to know if I pet them or hold them
This is a due to a combination of a few things.

1. A total lack of knowledge about ts amongst the general public.

2. A limited education provided mostly by handling demonstrations that are always so popular in schools and other places of supposed educational info like zoos, museums or even vendors at shows. :meh: IMO these are the biggest purveyors of a bad example, even though most doing it believe otherwise and consistently rationalize their behavior, mostly because of a perceived positive public response.:banghead: Think about it, if no one ever saw them being handled or was asked, "do you want to hold it?", no one would see them as something to fondle. So its partly the hobby, or a portion of the hobby, that is, IMO, the root cause if the general public misunderstanding ts.

3. There are very few examples of proper anything educationally with regards to ts when they are presented in shows or movies...often even places like nat geo or discovery channel still present inaccurate info and tend to show them being handled.

This makes it really easy for the general public to get the complete and total wrong idea about them (which is demonstrated daily)....in fact, based on this being the limited info the public sees, it should be expected....sadly.

We want handling popularity/views to change, its up to the hobby to change their means of "educating" the public.

We don't do fish demonstrations by having people come by and hold them, as a result, no one outside the hobby sees them as handleable...even though a fish is actually a more handleable animal...lol....the majority won't bite, they won't escape. run and hide, break if they hit the floor if dropped or hair you.

If we saw alligator handling vids and demonstrations at schools and fairs all the time, the general public would eventually believe gators are handleable and you tube vids would eventually reflect this like it does with ts.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If we saw alligator handling vids and demonstrations at schools and fairs all the time, the general public would eventually believe gators are handleable and you tube vids would eventually reflect this like it does with ts.
Ditch for a moment YT, all of those 'educational handling' and whatever stunts/show off where btw 9 out of 10 of the witness are in general 'casuals' and else.

I think that an alligator/croc technically can be tamed like a kitten, if raised since the baby stage by someone who knows what to do... I bet my manly parts on this. Plus, why someone wouldn't try, they are so lovely! I would love to own a crocodile that views me as a friend, and a Gorilla as well, as a butler, friend, and wise counselor :kiss:

Phia

Arachnopeon
2. A limited education provided mostly by handling demonstrations that are always so popular in schools and other places of supposed educational info like zoos, museums or even vendors at shows. :meh: IMO these are the biggest purveyors of a bad example, even though most doing it believe otherwise and consistently rationalize their behavior, mostly because of a perceived positive public response.:banghead: Think about it, if no one ever saw them being handled or was asked, "do you want to hold it?", no one would see them as something to fondle. So its partly the hobby, or a portion of the hobby, that is, IMO, the root cause if the general public misunderstanding ts.

We don't do fish demonstrations by having people come by and hold them, as a result, no one outside the hobby sees them as handleable...even though a fish is actually a more handleable animal...lol....the majority won't bite, they won't escape. run and hide, break if they hit the floor if dropped or hair you.
This is exactly true!! Every expo and animal education show involving tarantulas has someone holding it and asking kids to hold it.

At the last expo I went to a vendor had three avicularia just hanging precariously on his back/shoulders while he sold. Super yikes.

cold blood

Staff member
This is exactly true!! Every expo and animal education show involving tarantulas has someone holding it and asking kids to hold it.

At the last expo I went to a vendor had three avicularia just hanging precariously on his back/shoulders while he sold. Super yikes.
And as long as that occurs, the public will continue to see them basically as 8 legged hamsters....unfortunately.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
This makes me respect the dude that works every month at the closest expo to me a lot more because he never handles his tarantulas when he is selling them.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I think that an alligator/croc technically can be tamed like a kitten, if raised since the baby stage by someone who knows what to do... I bet my manly parts on this. Plus, why someone wouldn't try, they are so lovely! I would love to own a crocodile that views me as a friend, and a Gorilla as well, as a butler, friend, and wise counselor :kiss:
. . . No. Just no. They are unpredictable creatures and while some can be remarkably tame, this is a part of their personality. They can clicker trained though.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In another multiverse reality I have a Gorilla (as I've said, as friend, wise counselor, and butler) and a lovely croc I keep like a puppy, and both live with me in a 'Late Baroque' style mansion :)