Texas bark scorpion, id help?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Hi everyone, i recently purchased a scorpion labelled as a "texas bark scorpion", and i was hoping you all could help me ID it, so that way i can set it's enclosure up better.

Right now it is in a 1 oz vial, with a piece of cork bark to climb on (it is practically attached to the cork bark, won't come off without some SERIOUS persuasion), with a peat moss/vermiculite mix (what i use for my Tarantulas), of all my invertebrates, this fella scares me the most, more so than any of my tarantulas

Here are the pictures (i hope they are good enough for an ID)

Thanks
Mori

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It kinda looks like C vittatus. Can't really tell for sure though :?

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Mori,

If it is a Texas Bark Scorpion, then it should be C. vittatus. However, it really doesn't look like a C. vittatus. The pedipalps are a little swollen for that species. A picture that was a little more clear would be needed.

W. Smith

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
the trouble is getting the little fella to stay still for more than half a second, i will try to get a better picture tonight.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Doesnt really look like my Vittatus at all either. Like it was said, the chela are a lil thick. And I dont see the trademark triangle mask on the head either. If it has that, its a Vittatus.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Doesn't look at all like a Centruroides species, the pedipalps look far too big in the picture. I'd say it was a Vaejovid of some description, not a bark scorpion.

Last edited:

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mm..yes, perhaps a male Vaejovis spinigerus or others...

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sorry guys, but i got this one. the texas bark scorpion would be a C vittatus, but what you have there my friend is a V coahuilae. congrats.

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd say V. spinigerus personally.
It could be coahuilae too but it's hard to tell by the pic.

Last edited:

JeffG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I totally agree with these guys here, that chunky appearance makes it look so. Definately not a centruroides at all.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
It definitely looks to be a Vaejovidae of sorts. Vaejovis, Paruoctonus etc., though, I can't tell. If it is indeed from Texas then V.spinigerus is not a particularily good guess. That being said, it may be from elsewhere.

Cheers,
Dave

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Mori,

The pictures you provided are Vaejovis.

You can find more about the scorpion fauna from Texas on my photo page respectively.

Click here for photos -- Go !

Best Regards.

Chad Lee