1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrestrial on the side of the enclosure

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Kaden Bryant, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Kaden Bryant

Kaden Bryant Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I recently got a .5" Aphonopelma chalcodes sling and for much of its time with me it has been climbing on the side of the enclosure hanging out near the lid. The substrate isn't wet so any ideas why it's up there?

2. user 666

user 666 Arachnobaron

that's perfectly normal.

I have two A chalcodes in that size range. Only one is an intensive burrower, but both usually hang out on the side of their enclosures near the top.

So your T is doing exactly what I would expect.

3. user 666

user 666 Arachnobaron

And given the size of your T, IMO the substrate should be moist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kaden Bryant

Kaden Bryant Arachnopeon

Ok thanks for the reassurance!

Yeah it's moist just not too wet. I have a water dish in there too

5. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

yeah, at that size part of the sub should indeed be kept damp.

Hows it housed? Put it in a condinent cup like this...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Kaden Bryant

Kaden Bryant Arachnopeon

Yeah it's in a 5.5 oz condiment cup. It has the same diameter as a 4 oz but is taller so there's more space to burrow.

7. cold blood

Ive found that slings encouraged to burrow hide a ton more, feed a lot less and as a result grow significantly slower.

I have done long term experiments involving hundreds of terrestrial specimens and the results were always the same....burrowing slings grew at a glacial pace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TRection

TRection Arachnoknight Active Member

Canada
    My A.Genic 3" does the same thing, and she her a favorite stop on top of the hide along the glass that she hangs out on AT ALL TIMES :)

9. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoprince Active Member

What about fossorial species?

10. cold blood

it did not apply to either fossorials or arboreals, although i do still house small fossorial this way, i just move them out sooner.