Temperature for T. Stirmi

awjensen467

Arachnopeon
Everything I've read says to keep the temperature between 80 and 90 degrees. Does anyone have a way of keeping the temperature up without using a heating pad, or having a room solely for tarantula keeping? I have read that a heating pad is not a good idea.

Ran

Arachnoknight
I have 2 stirmi and 3 blondi. You can use a space heater in the room...or you can use heat pads, just don't put the pad/tape directly under where their burrows are, preferably at the opposite end of the terrarium, or you can put the pad on the side of the glass. Their burrow temp should be cooler, but still show condensation inside of the hide. Make sure the substrate is 5" deep or more, and moist. Hope this helps.

ArkanoviTigrovi

Arachnosquire
Another way to keep the temperature high is to soak the substrate in warm water. Also put a towel over 80% of the enclosure's ventilation to keep the humidity up.

synyster

Arachnobaron
In 10+ years of keeping Theraphosa, I have never had the tank get over 80. And I have never had any molting issues either.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I use a "human" heating pad set to low and attached to the rear center of the 55gal tank. This keeps the temp between 75-80. My girl has been doing very well with this set-up.

synyster

Arachnobaron
I use a "human" heating pad set to low and attached to the rear center of the 55gal tank. This keeps the temp between 75-80. My girl has been doing very well with this set-up.
Welcome back! Hadn't seen you in a while ;)