Temperament

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
you cant eradciate the reptile hobby its already too big

what they will try and control are the species that can be and are invasive which is fair enough, nothing to do with people getting bit

are people going to start lobbying to ban cars now because people crash in them? no if they were going to lobby against cars theyd do it because it hurts the environment
...you do realize they can? They can implement 'dangerous animal laws' which any animal can fall into.

tnerd93

Arachnopeon
...you do realize they can? They can implement 'dangerous animal laws' which any animal can fall into.
so tell me exactly how the govt is going to confiscate the tens of millions of reptiles in the country?

yeah it wont happen, they might ban the keeping of venomous snakes which they should as there are too many retards in america keeping them. like jared zellars who cant keep a king cobra inside a building and others who has had cobras on the loose in the past year

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
They already do it with breeds of dogs in countries in Europe.

If a dangerous animals law is passed by any government then they can, and will seize and destroy any of said animals that they find to be in your possession.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's not just venomous. States and cities have banned large snakes (10'+). In some places all exotic pets are banned. Step by step, animals are being banned, between an intrusive government, and pressure from anti-exotic pet groups. We have no automatic right to own any animal.

Last edited:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I can't even own any of the large Python species, the largest I can own is likely a tree Python or carpet Python. Explain how the laws can't do anything.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Gotta be a troll. If I was to call anything else, I would probably get in trouble.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
@Poec54
I can't even own any of the large Python species, the largest I can own is likely a tree Python or carpet Python. Explain how the laws can't do anything.
right I believe Iowa has similar laws. And there are more states with such laws in place I can't think of off the top of my head.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's what people said about the mass transit rail industry in California, and they were wrong. And that wasn't even a hobby!

All it takes is the right amount of public outcry, blind/ignorant city, town, state, federal legislation and a certain market will be gone.

Have you ever heard of Prohibition?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's not just venomous. States and cities have banned large snakes (10'+). In some places all exotic pets are banned. Step by step, animals are being banned, between an intrusive government, and pressure from anti-exotic pet groups. We have no automatic right to own any animal.
They did it here in Vegas. It's now illegal to own any snake that has the capability to reach over (I believe) 10'. Notice how I said capability. They also put ordinances in place for all venomous insects (no arachnids, thankfully).

It not only can be done, it already has been done. There is no arguing that, it is simply a fact.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon

what they will try and control are the species that can be and are invasive which is fair enough, nothing to do with people getting bit

are people going to start lobbying to ban cars now because people crash in them? no if they were going to lobby against cars theyd do it because it hurts the environment
What they try and control are ANY species that has garnered enough attention from John Q. Public for an outcry against it which makes any species of any animal up for banning. Invasive species that can be and are invasive getting banned? How about the common house cat? No one's trying to ban house cats yet they are the number one most destructive, most invasive species in the WORLD. You're arguments are not holding water.

so tell me exactly how the govt is going to confiscate the tens of millions of reptiles in the country?

yeah it wont happen, they might ban the keeping of venomous snakes which they should as there are too many retards in america keeping them. like jared zellars who cant keep a king cobra inside a building and others who has had cobras on the loose in the past year
You appear to be quite naive in this regard. Venomous species of snakes are absolutely not the only reptiles that will be, and ARE banned in hundreds of counties and cities all over the US and Canada. As far as invasive species, most reptiles are so dependent on their keepers for things like temperature and humidity control that should it get loose it would die by winter. There are very few exceptions to that. The Florida everglades are pretty much the only place that I'm aware of that introduced species can survive in the US or Canada. Our climate is just not conducive to live for most reptiles. The same goes really, for Arachnids if I'm no mistaken.

If you think most keepers are going to risk becoming criminals by keeping their contraband animals then you are mistaken. Most of the time, this kind of legislation does nothing but make criminals of otherwise law abiding, stand up citizens.

They already do it with breeds of dogs in countries in Europe.

If a dangerous animals law is passed by any government then they can, and will seize and destroy any of said animals that they find to be in your possession.
Pit bull's anyone?

+1.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
@Poec54

right I believe Iowa has similar laws. And there are more states with such laws in place I can't think of off the top of my head.
From what I recall, the only constricting snakes banned for the entire state are anacondas, reticulated, and African rock pythons. Anything else is fine, including burmese pythons which I don't think are really any smaller than the African rocks or anacondas. (shrug)

A lot of counties around my area though have a ban on any constricting snakes whatsoever, including ball pythons

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
portions of Louisiana have legislation against all snakes besides corn snakes and king snakes. Even ball pythons are banned in some areas because they are "pythons"

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
[

California long ago banned venomous snakes and any over 10" long.

There was an incident in a northern state or Canada a few ago where an escaped python constricted and killed a kid. That drove legislation all over the world. When people panic and demand action from their politicians, things will be banned. At that point it doesn't have to be well-thought out, or even logical. Animal owners can do little to stop it.

Voyager

Arachnopeon
I've never heard that Pelinobius muticus are the worst temperament wise. But as some people have kind of said, there are no 'aggressive' tarantulas. They're just overly defensive because many things are trying to eat them in the wild.

Out of my entire collection so far, I'd have to say my Aphonopelma seemani & Megaphobema robustum are the ones that are pretty defensive.
I see.
Yes, I know my bad of using an inaccurate word. What I meant was "defensive".
But keepers here often consider baboons as the most defensive, so do some online caresheet writers. Pelinobius muticus in particular is always heard.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
[

California long ago banned venomous snakes and any over 10" long.

There was an incident in a northern state or Canada a few ago where an escaped python constricted and killed a kid. That drove legislation all over the world. When people panic and demand action from their politicians, things will be banned. At that point it doesn't have to be well-thought out, or even logical. Animal owners can do little to stop it.
Wow I didn't even know that. I wanna get a retic and they're around a lot in California for sale at a couple shops around me. Wouldn't have thought they were illegal here. One such shop has a couple over 17ft.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Anyone who handles Stromatopelma has no credibility here.
You know that there will always be those hobbyists who collect solely for the purpose of impressing people . They have no respect for the animals or the dangers that come with owning those animals . Their only motivation is to make sure that people see how cool they are by not being a afraid to handle anything . All joking aside , they really are detrimental to the hobby .

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Wow I didn't even know that. I wanna get a retic and they're around a lot in California for sale at a couple shops around me. Wouldn't have thought they were illegal here. One such shop has a couple over 17ft.

I don't know how much effort they put into enforcement. I saw in the news a while ago a snake breeder in California who was busted for selling pythons and boas because of the size restrictions. He did kind of flaunt it with a custom license plate that said: 'Snake $'.

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
You know that there will always be those hobbyists who collect solely for the purpose of impressing people . They have no respect for the animals or the dangers that come with owning those animals . Their only motivation is to make sure that people see how cool they are by not being a afraid to handle anything . All joking aside , they really are detrimental to the hobby .
Yet others on this board have berated me for telling them that handling old worlds in general is blatant disregard for the animals well being.