tarrantula enclosure decoration..need advice

mephisto13

Arachnosquire
P.muranus is in pre molt and will soon out grow enclosure....going to put my little devil in a medium critter keeper after its molt and was wandering if it was ok to use decomposed amimal bones i found on a nature hike for it to web ...they look way cool and would make awesome fixtures for it to attach webs...i bleached them and washed them in hot water...they have been sitting for over a year...is it ok..and has any one used things found in woods before to put in enclosure...i dont want to use them if it could hurt my t....any help would be cool..thank you....

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I don't think bone would be a problem as long as it is cleaned well and has no chemicals on it. I am learning taxidermy and use hair peroxide to bleach bones and skulls. Once washed they come out clean and I bet they'd be fine to use in my enclosures, though I haven't used any yet.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I am not really an expert on bone. Theoretically if it was cleaned well enough I supposed I can't think of any issues with it.

To answer your other inquiry; there are some who use items found outside but they are in areas that are minimally at risk from pesticide exposure and are cleaned/boiled/etc. thoroughly prior to use.

It is always a gamble though and I am not one who favors playing the lottery or Russian roulette.

mephisto13

Arachnosquire
I don't think bone would be a problem as long as it is cleaned well and has no chemicals on it. I am learning taxidermy and use hair peroxide to bleach bones and skulls. Once washed they come out clean and I bet they'd be fine to use in my enclosures, though I haven't used any yet.
Cool thank you..my concern was the bleach but its been over year and i rinsed them thoroughly..not. 100 percent yet if im going to use them ..but the arangement i had planned looked way cool..even though it will get webbed over in a week...lol

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
Cool thank you..my concern was the bleach but its been over year and i rinsed them thoroughly..not. 100 percent yet if im going to use them ..but the arangement i had planned looked way cool..even though it will get webbed over in a week...lol
To be a bit safer you could boil them, then dry them in the oven at 250-300°.

mephisto13

Arachnosquire
I am not really an expert on bone. Theoretically if it was cleaned well enough I supposed I can't think of any issues with it.

To answer your other inquiry; there are some who use items found outside but they are in areas that are minimally at risk from pesticide exposure and are cleaned/boiled/etc. thoroughly prior to use.

It is always a gamble though and I am not one who favors playing the lottery or Russian roulette.
Yes your right...thats why i wanted to see other peoples oppinions and if its been done and how to treat them first..if possible....thank you..

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Bleach evaporates fairly quickly. A year is plenty of time for it to be off completely.

I would just watch for sharp edges if it’s broken bone fragments. Sand them down:)

LittleTs

Arachnopeon
Ive used bones in both my tarantulas enclosures and my reptile enclosures. Never had an issue.
When collecting outside I always boil for 5-10mins remove scrub rinse and then bake at around 250 degrees for about 25-30mins. Kills anything that might be in the bone. Ive actually seen a really neat hide made from a horse hoof and part of the ankle.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I use things from the mountains around here. I’m careful about where I get them from so there is a lower chance of exposure to pesticides and other potentially harmful junk. I either boil or bake, whichever is appropriate for the item. I haven’t had any trouble to this point.

cold blood

Staff member
To be a bit safer you could boil them, then dry them in the oven at 250-300°.
why boil if you intend to bake? its just redundant, not to mention the reason one bakes things is specifically to remove moisture....so why boil. JMO