Tarantulas you never thought you would wan't or own?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Wow this is an old thread, but I’d say Phormictopus. Never thought I’d like their attitude or the way they look, but now they’ve really grown on me

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
I thought I'd never want a G. porteri, but I saw my girl at an expo as the lone tarantula in the care of a reptile rescue and I had to adopt her. I'm so glad I did. She's so purple.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
When I was younger, I'd say I couldn't have seen myself owning a tarantula period even though I always did like the spiders around my yard. Didn't dislike them. I just never paid that much attention to them. Now I have one and feel a deep desire to add another...and then another...and another...and another...

I probably won't be able to get more for a few years but am working on a list ;).

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
B. vagans, Looked like less cool version of G. iheringi. Got a sling as a freebie and find myself having more fun raising it than most of my other slings.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
I told myself before that I'll just try and keep ONE tarantula, which I bought last February. Now I have 3 sub adults and 15+ slings. With more interesting species added to my wishlist the more I am exposed to the hobby.

Edit: I thought I won't buy a pokie but it changed when I got a good deal. P. regalis incoming this weekend. :astonished:

Last edited:

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
A. seemani. I honestly only really saw myself owning a GBB and a couple Avic/Ybyrapora species as far as T’s go, but I got the seemani as a freebie, and it has cemented itself my first (and only, at the moment) tarantula.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A post worth bringing back from the dead! Lol.

My partner has chosen a few Ts I never would have selected for myself that I have since come to really enjoy! Specifically, our P. metallica and P. cancerides. Both are wonderful display animals, calm for maintenance but with stellar feeding responses! The P. cancerides is also really pretty... I thought they were just one of the "big brown boring spiders" but she is a gorgeous purple and deep brown! I was never interested in P. metallica because I don't like the colour blue and I don't like when certain Ts become popular just for their colour... but this spider has stolen my heart. If I could, I would snuggle her!

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
The P. cancerides is also really pretty... I thought they were just one of the "big brown boring spiders" but she is a gorgeous purple and deep brown!
Do you have any photos of her? I’m really interested in different bloodlines of P. cancerides since some seem to be more purple than others while others could be more brown or even gold.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Do you have any photos of her? I’m really interested in different bloodlines of P. cancerides since some seem to be more purple than others while others could be more brown or even gold.
I don't have anything on my phone at the moment (photos got full and I had to upload them to my computer to make space... happens way too often LOL). But she just molted recently and is due for some new photos anyways so I'll get some!

I was talking with someone who had a post in the Classifieds offering "light" and "dark" forms, too, which I thought was really interesting!

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I don't have anything on my phone at the moment (photos got full and I had to upload them to my computer to make space... happens way too often LOL). But she just molted recently and is due for some new photos anyways so I'll get some!

I was talking with someone who had a post in the Classifieds offering "light" and "dark" forms, too, which I thought was really interesting!
Do you mind linking me to the classified listing?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Do you mind linking me to the classified listing?
It doesn't look like they are on his current list, but the seller was "gottarantulas" if you want to ask him about them :)

KyleR2202

Arachnopeon
B. albo, found them to be kind of boring looking especially when compared to other brachys. Ended up with 2 freebies, still tiny slings but they’re quite the diggers compared to the rest of my T’s.