Tarantulas you never thought you would wan't or own?

AngryMothNoises

Arachnosquire
Has any one ever found them selves wanting/owning a tarantula they thought they would never like to own? Like... I am not a big fan of pokies. But now I hope to own one. Same with the Pterinochilus murinus and Aphonopelma anax.

I never thought I would get a P.cambridgei, but I got one and I am so happy I have one!

They didn't appeal to me at first. But after seeing more photos, stories and videos of them, I fell in love with these.

Has any one else felt this way? I am sure there is. I would love to hear of the Tarantulas people though they would never wan't/own.

Thank You!

Last edited:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
G. rosea.. i had a pretty diverse collection going , and despite me not being too fond of G. rosea, one ended up in my care anyhow..
Not too sure how it happened, but all in all, im glad it did. There is nothing particularly flashy or desirable to me in regaurds to G. rosea, but with as much buying/selling/trading as i do, my gravid female seems to be something i cant shake... I dont think i would have the heart to get rid of her if i tried.

---------- Post added 06-19-2012 at 05:39 PM ----------

i dont know if i liked her better when she used to be sweet, or now that she is gravid and psycho.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Yes, I never thought I would own a G. rosea but I bought one anyways lol it's red color form so IMO it's prettier than a normal color. I love my rosie though shes feisty and loves food. I would never hold her though, I think she would bite me in an instant. She's a grouch.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
I was never interested in poeci's originally, but I bought out a collection with one, and truly enjoy the genus now. Same goes for dwarfs: amazing little T's. I would likely take up any bargain for a species I dont own.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
chilean flame. never thought i'd want one, then i found a little beauty at repticon. she is one of my faves now.

poisoned

Arachnodemon
Played hide and seek with my new pokie today, if you asked me a few months ago I'd say never.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i've been given freebies of things i'd normally never own but i think Hystocrates gigas (or whatever masquerades as it currently) was the least likely i'd find myself enjoying. i don't dig pet holes or boring brown things, but i was given this sp. by a friend with another tarantula. to my surprise i find myself fascinated with it now and am excited to eventually construct an enclosure with a "swimming pool" for it one day... :3

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
to go against my first post, i actually never saw myself owning a tarantula in the first place.. I used to be repulsed by spiders PERIOD, until i got my first one as a gag gift. After i got it, i quickly started doing research and fell in love with P. regalis and stumbled upon this damn forum:biggrin:
the rest is history... needless to say, i now welcome just about ANY tarantula into my collection.
i have said before that patience is NOT my strong suit, so i do not see myself purposely acquiring any "slow growers" however.

Phlerr

Arachnoknight
When I first got into this hobby, I never ever thought I'd own a pokie. Needless to say I got 2 P regalis slings last week (thanx again John) so my advice; never say never in this hobby ;)

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
A. avicularia. I found them (and most avics) boring. The one I have now was one of my first Ts, and I got her from my current boyfriend long before we were even dating. I kind of have to keep her now just because of her history, but as she's grown I really find myself enjoying her. She's a special T for me.

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lol I have my mind set on potentially having one of each. It will never happen, but I could see myself owning every species. Though I am not a huge fan of pokies idk y I just dont like them that much. I can see myself owning one lol.

Jessie

Arachnopeon
B. vagans. I thought they were boring in appearance compared to other Brachys, but I ended up getting one pretty soon after getting into the hobby. I was won over by the velvet black and the red rump.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
there is a nice B. vagans at Midway fish and pet for 40$.. she is about 4" or a bit bigger and i personally sexed it.. i was there the other day snooping around, and noticed the t had a molt in its deli. the guy let me pull the molt and spray it down and upon brief inspection it was VERY easy to know its gender..
The store worker said it was female because it didnt have hooks:sarcasm: and i explained it to him and he looked puzzled..
I MIGHT have bought it but not really interested in the sp. I should have told him it was male and offered him 20 lol

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Read and watched so much about P. irminia and was fascinated and worried the same time. In the end, I bought a B. smithi and a P. irminia as my personal "T-starter pack" :D. No whatsoever problems so far with any of them, in fact, absolutely a fan of them. ;)

invictus

Arachnopeon
I'll have to echo the G. rosea. I got an adult recently as part of a package deal with a G. pulchra that I really wanted, and my original goal was to resell the rosea. Now, I'm quite happy to keep it.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Your welcome!
When I first got into this hobby, I never ever thought I'd own a pokie. Needless to say I got 2 P regalis slings last week (thanx again John) so my advice; never say never in this hobby ;)

Well for me it hasnt happened. And most likely wont happen. I have been able to narrow down my most wanted, and my main interests. That being said there likely isnt a tarantula i have that i have not wanted. I do know there is some that i will never get. Haplopelma, although i own two species, i wont really go much more into the genus. Fossorial arent a big turn on. Then there is Theraphosa. That is a genus i will never own a species of. I think they are very "ugly" and just plain "dumb". Sorry to you Theraphosa lovers.

Niffarious

Arachnoknight
I always told myself that if I ever started keeping tarantulas, there would be NO aggressive/defensive arboreals. Especially OW.

Now have... P. irminia, H. maculata, P. metallica, P. pederseni. I think this qualifies as a spectacular fail in a promise made to myself...haha.

cerialkiller

Arachnosquire
I never thought I would own a spider period, I was arachnophobic till I went to the pet store to pick up a gecko, I was looking at the tarantulas on the other side of the glass and became interested, the lady that worked there put a molt in my hand to see how I would react then proceeded to place a g rosea in my hand I loved it, I then bought it ,now I have an avic-avic ,a chaco golden knee and an obt, the rosea died a year later

where am I ??

funkymonk

Arachnopeon
I always told myself that if I ever started keeping tarantulas, there would be NO aggressive/defensive arboreals. Especially OW.

Now have... P. irminia, H. maculata, P. metallica, P. pederseni. I think this qualifies as a spectacular fail in a promise made to myself...haha.
Same for me, thought who would ever want something like that, but got given (rescued) an adult P murinus that scared its original keeper silly so wasn't being cared for properly, that was my third T after G rosea & G pulchra, so in at the deep end so to speak, now I have in addition C marshali, H gigas, P regalis & P fasciata none have been any trouble at all (touches some wood lol).

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I never thought that I would get a T. stirmi, thought it was a big boring brown tarantula that was way to difficult to manage. Then, sadly enough, a pet shop had one in all the wrong conditions. It was on its last legs so I figured, what the hell? I got the T, and the enclosure, spent several hours setting it up correctly and got her inside.

What I thought was an older male turned out to be a gorgeous female once she molted. Thus Mini Me became Mindy. Now she is sort of a black hole that destroys anything I feed her, especially feeding tongs. (Don't play tongs of war with your T stirmi.)

The initial setup with the required heat, humidity, moisture etc was a bit tricky, but now I just have to keep the waterdish full. Hint: the bigger the dish is, the better. Plus, frog moss is greatly appreciated for holding in moisture along with using peat for substrate.

She's much more like an OW then a NW, defensive, but frequently visible. Hissy fits do take place if I ever have to do anything & most important, the urticating hairs are NO joke & way way worse then I thought possible.

Having said that, I wouldn't change a thing.